Getting along with a co-worker (Read 348 times)

Half Fanatic #846

I started to give a more thoughtful reply, but on re-reading your post the kid "...does get high, sometimes at work"... just made me pretty much speechless.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

kk_kittenkat

I started to give a more thoughtful reply, but on re-reading your post the kid "...does get high, sometimes at work"... just made me pretty much speechless.

Well exactly, hence my reply on the last page.

+1 Many years ago I was a shift leader at a pizza hut, and after an employee was missing for what seemed like too long of a period, I went looking for him. I thought maybe he was sick in the bathroom or something. Never suspected anything fishy or inappropriate going on. Well, upon checking the bathroom, I immediately saw smoke and smell of pot. I asked him if he was smoking pot, and he said yes. So, he was sent home, and subsequently fired by the store manager.  Nice kid and all, but that behaviour isn't acceptable at work.

runlikeagirI

I started to think I was crazy for feeling this way.  If the above is true, he's a liability and he puts more than just himself in danger.  Not reporting it to the boss isn't doing anyone any favors.  Another thing I'm not quite clear on - Runslowalksalot, are you actually this person's supervisor or do you both have the same job? If you technically don't have supervisory duties and are peers with you being responsible for X and him being responsible for Y, why would his poor work reflect badly on you? He's the one who needs to be held accountable for questionable decisions and performance.

Oh roo roooo!

Guess I'll pile on here too--I kept reading the responses and thinking "WTF, does it not matter that he's getting high at work?  Would it be OK if he was drinking on the job?"  That is a deal-breaker for me.  Doesn't matter what else he does or doesn't do, that is simply not acceptable behavior and I don't think an employee should need to be TOLD that...He can do as he pleases during non-work hours, but not on the job.

Runslowalksalot

Well, I had wanted to take the high road (haha)    but after today, I'm done with him.  We were performing the very simple, almost mindless task of applying barrier coat to the hull of a 60' boat.  He left for lunch right at 12:00 after telling me that he was going to mix up more paint, then he didn't come back, leaving me to finish his work.  The boss came by and asked where he was.  I told him.     Dude got a talkin to by the boss.    Later he used a piece of my personal  equiptment and I told he not to get any paint on it.   He did and gave me a smart ass response when I bitched at him for having no respect for someone else's property.

I'm done.    Unfortunately I know the best way to deal with this.    Nothing.   Offer no help.  Let him do what he wants and  screw up.   It won't be long and he's out.  Unfortunately  the best way tdeal with the situationis to maintain my own quality and take the all too common route of following the rules to protect myself and not stick my neck out for someone else even if it costs the company money in the short term.

I hate it but experience tells me that this is the means to an end.  Sigh.

Feeling the growl again

Well, I had wanted to take the high road (haha)    but after today, I'm done with him.  We were performing the very simple, almost mindless task of applying barrier coat to the hull of a 60' boat.  He left for lunch right at 12:00 after telling me that he was going to mix up more paint, then he didn't come back, leaving me to finish his work.  The boss came by and asked where he was.  I told him.     Dude got a talkin to by the boss.    Later he used a piece of my personal  equiptment and I told he not to get any paint on it.   He did and gave me a smart ass response when I bitched at him for having no respect for someone else's property.

I'm done.    Unfortunately I know the best way to deal with this.    Nothing.   Offer no help.  Let him do what he wants and  screw up.   It won't be long and he's out.  Unfortunately  the best way tdeal with the situationis to maintain my own quality and take the all too common route of following the rules to protect myself and not stick my neck out for someone else even if it costs the company money in the short term.

I hate it but experience tells me that this is the means to an end.  Sigh.

I'm with the crowd holding back the WTF response to all the trying to work with the guy comments.  Admittedly I work in a place where someone getting high at work would never even be something experienced, but I have worked such jobs many years ago and that would be the end of any effort on my part.  Frankly I'd be angling to find the best situation to get him out without making myself part of the collateral damage.

You can't help someone until they want to be helped.  He's clearly not there yet.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Wait... hang on a second. You got somebody fired from Pizaa Hut for tokin' up in the bathroom, really man. Now that is uncool if you axe me. The dinner rush, if that even exists at PH, was probably over and things were winding down and you have the gall to harsh his mellow, DAYUM. Granted, some jobs one should not go to stoned, BUT, some jobs are  insignificant and smokin' a bowl makes it a little more bearable.

Wait... hang on a second. You got somebody fired from Pizaa Hut for tokin' up in the bathroom, really man. Now that is uncool if you axe me. The dinner rush, if that even exists at PH, was probably over and things were winding down and you have the gall to harsh his mellow, DAYUM. Granted, some jobs one should not go to stoned, BUT, some jobs are  insignificant and smokin' a bowl makes it a little more bearable.

No, he got himself fired for violating company rules.  Fwiw, the kid was skating on thin ice before this incident due to things like just not showing up for work, showing up high or drunk, and showing up one time with huge hickey on his cheek.  I blame it all on his parents for giving him the name... drum roll ... Elvis. No joke.

It may just be a Pizza Hut job, but all jobs serve a purpose, even if that purpose s just to teach someone some responsibility and how to conduct yourself at a job.

kk_kittenkat

No-one has threatened violence *ohthepowerofwords*.

RunNow

YAWN.

What people want to do is their own business & choice, but getting high before or during work is not acceptable even if the job is "insignificant".  doesn't matter.  Not acceptable. By his actions & attitude sounds like this guy  that OP is talking about may have bigger  problems than his lack of interest/motivation with the job.  

runslowwalksalot ,  

poor attitude, poor work ethic, poor results, getting high at work?   why is this kid still working there?   has anyone been documenting his work?  did your boss document his "counseling"  of the kid?  make sure it is all documented & then find someone else  immediately

xhristopher

Dear Runswalksalot,

It has come to my attention that you have been long aware that our newest boat yard employee, manfromnantucket, has been getting high on the job. Strungout Riggings Boats has high standards across the board for all employees. Anyone knowingly tolerating an on the job drug use is actively risking workplace safety and is a liability to our corporation. You should have come forward and reported this co-worker's behavior immediately after discovering it. To knowingly tolerate it without reporting it is tantamount to encouraging and participating in it yourself. Therefore, I have no option but to let you go and send manfromnantucket to rehab. After he returns he will assume your responsibilities.

Sincerely,

Your Former Boss

Half Fanatic #846

Get high if you want, but don't put others at risk:

I had a sales job with a large company driving a truck. The 2nd highest-producing employee in sales got high on the job and sometimes while driving.  Twice I arrived at the warehouse at the end of the day and the guys would be "airing out" this guy's truck because it smelled so strong. One day the boss rented a van to drive six of us to a conference.  I recall him saying "I know he does weed at work, but I can't get rid of him because he makes me money!"  Can you spell  'liability'?  Presumably, the guy drove his own car so he could get stoned on the way.

Short story, I refused to work with the guy or drive any vehicle he drove.  The boss's threats to me were immediately resolved when I suggested that we call the corporate legal department to discuss it.  A short time later, the employee failed to show up for work - he had moved out of state with several thousand dollars of the company's money. The boss lost his position and  IMO the company was extremely lucky to avoid serious litigation.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!