Finally a diagnosis... Hallux Limitus. Time to retire? (Read 3289 times)

The Correct Toes are one unit.  I have previously used FlexTastic, which is a cheap Yoga toes knock-off, and the CTs are superior in that you can walk around in them without even knowing they are there.  The CTs do not fall off like the Yoga toes tend to do, aside from when I get out of the shower (which is also when I clean them) and they sometimes need to be pushed back in due to the moisture.

It took me 2-3 months before I consistently slept the whole night with them on.  While my toes were still getting used to them it was common for me to wake up in the middle of the night in some (fairly minor) discomfort that was alleviated by taking them off and going back to sleep.  I have to wear crew socks while sleeping because otherwise the friction between the CT silicone and my sheets is annoying.

I have a mega bunion too on my hallux rigidus toe (I think it comes with the territory), and I highly doubt the CTs will fix it, but I'm hopeful that it will not get worse.  I've bought a lot of crap over the past couple years trying to fix my feet (including two $$ pairs of custom orthotics), and Correct Toes and a green theraband for calf stretches are the only things I believe to be worthwhile.  They are pretty friggin expensive though.

Except for the ability to walk around are Flextastic Toe Relaxers a good way to test out the usefulness of Correct Toes?  $9 vs. $65 is a steep learning curve.

djtaylor

Except for the ability to walk around are Flextastic Toe Relaxers a good way to test out the usefulness of Correct Toes?  $9 vs. $65 is a steep learning curve.

I'll hesitantly say, probably.  I seem to get the most benefit out of prolonged use of my Correct Toes (6+ hour blocks).  That was never feasible with the Flextastic spacers since they are so bulky.  The Flextastic are very difficult to walk in and I don't think I ever tried sleeping in them.  In contrast, I can slip socks and shoes on over the Correct Toes and go about my day or night.

That said, you are right about the steep difference in price.  I can't imagine ever wearing my Flextastic again, but they did at least plant the seed in my head that maybe this line of treatment was worth pursuing for my condition.  You can probably do cheaper than $9 as well.  I seem to remember coupons that took the price closer to $5. 

Thanks for the info on the Correct Toes.  I am seriously considering them.   I use my Yoga toes for about a half hour ever night, and they have really helped with toe/leg cramps, as well as stretching out my bunion. 

When  you research the available options, $65 is really not that steep.   I have spent almost as much on other products that are not effective.

So, thanks!  In all my research, I never came across Correct Toes.

- Anya

I'll hesitantly say, probably.  I seem to get the most benefit out of prolonged use of my Correct Toes (6+ hour blocks).  That was never feasible with the Flextastic spacers since they are so bulky.  The Flextastic are very difficult to walk in and I don't think I ever tried sleeping in them.  In contrast, I can slip socks and shoes on over the Correct Toes and go about my day or night.

That said, you are right about the steep difference in price.  I can't imagine ever wearing my Flextastic again, but they did at least plant the seed in my head that maybe this line of treatment was worth pursuing for my condition.  You can probably do cheaper than $9 as well.  I seem to remember coupons that took the price closer to $5. 

Thanks.  I found a set of Flextastic for $6 at an HEB grocery store.  After trying them out, I'm a long way away from 6 hours.

For those of you that have this, what type of running shoe do you find helps the condition? Do you use a stiff shoe that reduces the bend in toe? 

Hi Bugs, we've not meet but been a part of RA for some time now.  I have been diagnosed with Hallux Rigidus and going for a 2nd opinion next week.  I have gained mobility back to my right big toe, but I'm still experiencing pain and discomfort as I know something more is wrong than simple inflammation.  I saw the X-Rays and recognized the sharp ridges or bone spurs that are most likely the culprit of my past 2 years of chronic injuries.  It started with hamstring issues and then last fall I was having issues with Plantar F.  The severity of PF was flucuate but it was never enough to completely stop me from running.  Until last week...

For the past few weeks my right toe was so stiff and it felt like it needed an adjustment and then it would be fine.  Except with stretching and exercises it remained inflammed and stiff.  I wore those Sketchers Shape ups, but the mary jane model as they were the least orthpedic looking.  They are wonderful for the pain and I wear them at work and around the house.   When I'm having low pain or good days I wear my minimalist shoes to help build strength to help with the PF problem.  I can't wear them too long or my toe gets aggravated.  It's a tricky balance but my symptoms aren't getting worse and I am taking the risk of saying my toe is feeling better.  But I still can't do toe lifts and it is painful when I attempt to bend my toe.

LIke you, if I loose running I'm going to have a hard time adapting. I've been a competitive runner since my teen years.  I even managed to win a trail marathon recently during my injuries and thought I was through the worst of it.  Unfortuntely I have discovered I'm just at the beginning of this injury.   I am appreciating the time off right now as I'm finally getting a break from the every day pain.  You do everything you can to get in your runs but like you, can barely walk to the mail box when you're done.

I hope you've found more answers since these posts.  I hope to find some myself.

Just wanted to reach out and let you know that you are not alone.

Willie

Bugs

Updating this thread to tell the rest of the story.

Just when I was coming to terms with hallux limitus I started to have joint pain all throughout my body. But it was more than joint pain. The top of my head hurt, it hurt to put a pony tail in my head, and my hands were on fire. I was trying to get to a rheumatologist, hold onto my job, and taking ice baths to go to work. The Rheumatology department in Mayo Clinic in Rochester took six weeks to deny my referral because my blood tests were normal and referred me to Orthopedics, despite having knowledge that the pain was now also in my feet. I was in so much pain and was struggling to get through each day. I simply didn't have the time for large hospital like Mayo that can shuffle you from doctor to doctor.

I felt like I was in hole in the ground and no one was helping. I wished it was cancer. Cancer doctors do stuff. Take my breasts, cut off something, it had to be better than this. With cancer, people bring you food, you have a caring bridge site. I was sick and still had to haul my way through work. I think most people think doctors will help, you won't have to find the answers yourself.

An OD, and also naturopath was recommended. It was a six month wait. His website said he was a runner, so I wrote a letter and begged, "runner to runner please fit me in." He saw me on a Saturday, a day the office is not normally open. He knows his stuff with auto immune diseases.  There are clearly lots of people hurting, not getting help from traditional medical care because he sees patients from 32 states. My family doctor was stumped, but this doc by listening to my entire health history knew right away why I was hurting.

The reason for much of my pain has been low Adrenal Gland hormones, very low cortisol, DHEA, and estrogen. Without these hormones your body does not heal, and your pain tolerance is lowered.

I am likely headed for Addison's Disease, where I will need to take steroids. But this doc does not give out prescriptions lightly. We are still trying to fight the cause. We think my adrenal gland was always on the weak side. But I had gotten sick, and never bounced back. I took antibiotics for a month, and had some improvement. Even got up to run 7 miles once, which I had not done in 10 months. 

Today, off the antibiotics (off the roadback.org) plan I cannot tolerate any exercise. I await blood tests results to hear the doctors next move. 

Running/Triathlons was so social for me. Most friends are too busy training. I struggled just walking the trail the last few days. I am lonely but I'm learning to have more self-efficacy with this illness. I picture where I want to be with my health, and know that the road may be long, but there is a road. I can get there.

I wanted to write this, because runners can have adrenal gland issues. There is such a thing as adrenal fatigue if you push yourself too hard. You should know about this. When I struggled with constant injury this winter I didn't have any idea that a chemical imbalance could cause this.

Runners are always told not to run, that they will destroy their knees. I am so glad I ran when I could. However if you are sick, like I was, rest more, go see the doctor, get antibiotics. 

Bugs

12-week layoff

Bugs, I am so sorry for your troubles.  I pray that your doctor will help you get back on the road to health and running.