leg spasms and cramps (Read 1199 times)

Who else gets these?  Sometimes my legs twitch so bad, I can actually see them.  I did a quick 4 mile race(run) on Friday, and when I came back home, they twitched and bubbled for about an hour and a half.   Every once in a while it would lock into a full cramp.   Usually it's from lack of water, but I was hydrated..

What's sick is advil normally stops it. 

- Anya

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I only seem to have this problem during marathons, regardless of how hydrated I am, how good my diet is, and how conservatively I run in the first half of the race.  As long as I don't run more than 16 miles I am cramp-free.  So I'm just not running marathons anymore.

Are you possibly low on potassium, magnesium, or calcium (or some combo)?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I agree with zoomy on raising this question.  Try half a banana with a cup of water before you head out. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Yea, you would think I'd run a marathon, but it was only 4 miles.  I get this from time to time, just weird.  My brother, who's a swimmer, gets the same thing...  I'm going to try improving my diet, and adding more potassium. Btw, Zoomie,  I didn't realized you retired from the marathon world.   I'm not sure I"ll ever get there : -)

- Anya

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, it's funny to think I'm "retired" from marathons.  I never feel like I really got started.  This year I have 3-4 HMs in my sights and am looking forward to those MUCH more...and a duathlon, and a couple of century rides on the bike.  Variety's the spice of life (and less cramp-inducing, apparently).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

I get them alot too, but usually after 10-12 plus miles and sometimes quite a while after I finish. Sometimes while sleeping, I'll go to straighten my leg and it will completely seize up in a cramp. I'll have to get up and walk around to get it loosened up. I do sweat alot, but try to drink plenty of water and take a multi vitamin with potassium, magnesium, etc.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I'm noboby, who are you?

You forgot about the most important element related to cramps other than water - Sodium. I highly doubt potassium, magnesium, or calcium would be the culprit unless you are eating very poor diet..   To simplify, salt.

If the race has touch of heat, or your body has a high demand for salt because of your eating habits, you need more than just a gatorbarf like drink as they are woefully low in sodium.  Cramps in general, especially at the 18-22 mile range of a marathon are caused running too fast or too far for your training  and your glycogen is depleted, or insufficient fluid, or low sodium.

The amount of sodium in your stomach, too little or too much stops your absorption.  It's called hyponatremia and very common is people running 4 or more hours.I'll ignore too much salt as it is rare.

The beginning of the problem starts with over-hydrating the day/night before on plain water.  You want to tank up the day/night before to avoid dehydration race day. Sounds good but you in effect start diluting your system and your Na. Add some more water or low sodium Gatorade during the race and the plot thickens even more. Many times your stomach is schloshing and your cramping and you keep drinking because you think you're dehydrated. 

if you end up in the medical tent the EMT's have to determine very carefully if you are dehydrated or over hydrated. Dehydration will get you an IV over-hydrated will get you some salt be it a cap or a bag of chips. You'll know when the salt has worked - you'll urinate the Mississippi, so to speak. If you are over-hydrated and get a IV, you will end up in the hospital and possibly a coma.  The saline in an IV is too low and all you do is exacerbate then entire problem.

In the ultra world where races are 4-40 hours this problem gets magnified times a 100.  Every aid station has  chips or a bowl of salt with boiled potatoes. Some people can get their Na from the table but most of carry salt caps. Salt caps and toilet paper along with water and food can take you out of race faster than a Bernie Madoff. ponzi scheme if you not careful.

Sorry, not trying to paint some terrible picture but it's low salt that is often the problem. 

You know, I'm not sure if I don't have some medical probelm or something since my legs are twitching a little right now, and I did not even run today, I'm just sitting at my desk here at work.    It's my calves, and they are just twitching a little now and then. 

Last night when I went to bed, they were twitching big time.  I ran 5 miles earlier that day, and ate 2 bananas during the day, and muliti vitamins.  My foot went into a major cramp as I was trying to sleep, and had to walk it off.   I got up, took 2 advil and it eventually stopped , or I just slept through it.

I wish I could say this was from running huge, long, distances, but, my long run right now is only 7 miles :-( 

this, combined with my numb hip, is making me feel more and more like I have something f'd up, or I'm just getting old  :- )

- Anya

I'm noboby, who are you?

You know, I'm not sure if I don't have some medical probelm or something since my legs are twitching a little right now, and I did not even run today, I'm just sitting at my desk here at work.    It's my calves, and they are just twitching a little now and then. 

Last night when I went to bed, they were twitching big time.  I ran 5 miles earlier that day, and ate 2 bananas during the day, and muliti vitamins.  My foot went into a major cramp as I was trying to sleep, and had to walk it off.   I got up, took 2 advil and it eventually stopped , or I just slept through it.

I wish I could say this was from running huge, long, distances, but, my long run right now is only 7 miles :-( 

this, combined with my numb hip, is making me feel more and more like I have something f'd up, or I'm just getting old  :- )

How ABOUT a nice visit to the doctor for some blood work and a check-up.

Yeah, well, that's always a good idea.  I don't think it's that unusual though.   I think my hip is sciatica, and my cramps are nothing new, just worse.  But, I guess I should get it check out : -)

- Anya

an amazing likeness

Geez...if everyone ran off to the Dr every time they have an ache or pain, and then didn't want to pay cash money for the service....we'd have a, ummm, health care crisis on our hands.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I look my best blurry!

Geez...if everyone ran off to the Dr every time they have an ache or pain, and then didn't want to pay cash money for the service....we'd have a, ummm, health care crisis on our hands.

I am feeling so guilty about this!  I am scheduled for my 3rd MRI in 3 months and I feel responsible for the crisis!    In my defense my doctor didn't order appropriate test and now I have to have a cortisone injection in my hip with MRI. Other option-quit running?

-How are you doing MilkTruck?  

I am feeling so guilty about this!  I am scheduled for my 3rd MRI in 3 months and I feel responsible for the crisis!    In my defense my doctor didn't order appropriate test and now I have to have a cortisone injection in my hip with MRI. Other option-quit running?

-How are you doing MilkTruck?  

Do you have a  numb hip or what?  Mine's been numb for about 3 months now.  I did the Chiro thing, and he finally told me it may be a year or more before it un-numbs itself. 

I swear, I probably have MS.  

- Anya

I'm noboby, who are you?

I'm sure you already know, we already have a health care crisis. 

That aside, there is a fine line whether to run to the doctor or simply wait and let mother nature take her course. Within reason I would rather have the doctor tell me that I'm a hypochondriac than to sit back on my macho cajones to find that I'm now in deep sh*t and can't run because a minor issue is now a major problem.

It's a tough call, but I'd rather error on being overly protective.

So, I've been drinking 100% cranberry juice ( Trader Joe's  $3.99)   for my recurrent UTI's.   Here is a weird thing, my leg cramps have stopped.    Not sure if it's just  a coincidence or not.    

If it's really from the cranberry juice, I'm really happy to kill 2 birds with  one stone!   

- Anya