Favorite Marathon AND Best for a Newbie (Read 622 times)

Okay, so for me, a marathon is still AT LEAST a year off (if not two, or three or more). Anyway, a girl can dream. So two questions, may or may not have the same answers... 1) What's your favorite marathon? (Yes, I searched and read some earlier responses, still curious to see what people say). 2) What would you recommend as a FIRST TIME marathon? Thanks.

http://www.runningnotes.net

xor

Er, this question is as complex as you want it to be. Everyone has different reasons to like/dislike races. Questions for you: 1. Do you want to travel or not? I don't personally recommend long travel for a first one (higher stress), but lots of people do it. 2. Do want to run in a city or in the country? Or some of both? 3. Are spectators important to you? Or do you know? 4. Do you want to run with a whole bunch of other runners? Or not? Or do you know?

Er, this question is as complex as you want it to be. Everyone has different reasons to like/dislike races. Questions for you: 1. Do you want to travel or not? I don't personally recommend long travel for a first one (higher stress), but lots of people do it. 2. Do want to run in a city or in the country? Or some of both? 3. Are spectators important to you? Or do you know? 4. Do you want to run with a whole bunch of other runners? Or not? Or do you know?
        I don't know. Smile I was hoping people would say what THEY loved and WHY. 1) I *could* travel if it was worth it. Like to the Nike Women's SF marathon. I grew up there, so wouldn't have a burning need to sight see. 2) Either one, I like both. Smile 3) I am not sure. Smile You see why I am asking other people's opinions here. Probably nice to have spectators (I know I like them on shorter races), but I don't think HORDES of them would be necessary, but it wouldn't be detrimental for me either. 4) I PROBABLY wouldn't like gazillions of runners, but then again, I don't know, all those people might energize me! See, I am really a pain in the butt, and a total newbie and am looking for everyone's input. I fully expected to get a wide range of response. Then, I could read through them, and one might strike me as "oh! that sounds awesome" and then I could look forward to that as my goal. Does that make sense?

http://www.runningnotes.net

Prince of Fatness

I don't know. Smile I was hoping people would say what THEY loved and WHY.
          OK, I'll bite. This is what I wanted: Late enough in the fall that I wouldn't have to deal with heat. Local. An overnight stay was OK, but I wanted the drive to be 2 hours or less. Medium size. I especially didn't want to deal with one of those big city races. Course not overly difficult. I chose Steamtown, and it did not disappoint. The only bad thing, which was not under their control, was that it was unusually warm the day of the race.

Not at it at all. 

My first marathon was going to be the Marine Corp Marathon in DC. It has lots of people both running and cheering, it's a very scenic run, and it's in my backyard. Maybe most important motivator is the inspiration from the field. Last year I saw a double amputee passing mile marker 21 and it was awe inspiring to me. On the other hand, it's also in late October, and I thought that was an advantage but it really means training in the summer when the heat and humidity are brutal. I think now my first marathon will be late spring. I'm now considering the National Marathon in March (if I think I'm ready).
            2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
            missy1102

my first marathon was chicago in 2001. my fifth marathon was NYC and i truly enjoy the "bigness" of the mega marathons. that being said, this past may i ran greenbay which is much smaller and more intimate, if you will. it was a finely organized race and i was pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed it. i heard a lot of people complain that there weren't enough spectators out and there were definitely good mile or two long stretches near the end where a runner wouldn't see a single soul out cheering (basically nothing in between aid stations). this didn't bother me but i could see how that would take a toll on a first timer. that being said, my two cents is to look for a marathon that has a good spectating crowd. it really, truly makes a difference.. for both newbies and veterans alike Big grin happy running.
              Scout7

Baltimore. It's got great support, it's not too crowded, the course is decent, the spectators are great (and I generally don't care about spectators at all), there's lots of places to see you run without having to travel too far. Weather is usually pretty decent, it's on a Saturday, and it is sponsored by UnderArmor, so the t-shirt is actually decent.

Non ducor, duco.

xor

My favorite marathon is Kona because it is my home course, it's pretty cool (not temperature-wise, alas) running with a volcano on one side and the ocean on the other, and because it is basically the same course as Ironman. HOWEVER, I usually don't recommend it to folks wanting to run a marathon in Hawai'i (that would be Maui) because it is very low-key and it can be HOT. All Hawai'i marathons except Hilo are usually hot, but Kona is the hottest. For a first timer in New Hampshire... I'd recommend Wineglass in Corning NY if you don't care about spectators. Many people looooove Vermont City in Burlington. More spectators than Wineglass, but not a ton. Lots of runners, so it can be fun if you want to be social. If you really really want a lot of spectators, go to a city marathon.

JakeKnight

This is an awfully good answer. I'd agree with all of it:
                      Late enough in the fall that I wouldn't have to deal with heat. Local. An overnight stay was OK, but I wanted the drive to be 2 hours or less. Medium size. I especially didn't want to deal with one of those big city races. Course not overly difficult.
                      Definitely avoid very hot (or humid) or very cold. So late fall or early spring. I'd pick one where the temps stay in the 40s to 60s. A little cold is better than too hot. Definitely local or close to it. Marathons are stressful. The less travel the first time, the better. (And since I've never done one in New England, I got nuthin for you on specifics.) Definitely medium-sized. Big enough for a little crowd support, not big enough to be over-whelming. And for your first one, you really may want to avoid the big city chaos. You'll have a thousand things to think about (well, you'll think you do, anyway) and you'll be stressing about your shoes and your socks and what you're wearing and did you remember everything and oh my God I ran out of Tri-berry Gu and I hate the Vanilla Bean and where did I put my BodyGlide ...!?!? People tend to tweak out. So having to find your way around a big strange city, at the crack of dawn, maybe looking for parking ... not a good idea. Make the whole process as low-stress as possible. For example, if you are in a strange city, if you can arrange a hotel right at or near the starting line (and a late checkout for after the race), your stress will be significantly lowered. If you're really smart, pick a marathon now and reserve that hotel room for a year from now. That leaves a lot to choose from. Most of it'll depend on your personality.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

obsessor

1)Houston. 2)Pick the closest marathon with 2 to 10 thousand people. You might consider CIM if you'll travel out that way.
                        pitrunner

Hey! I resemble that remark!!
                          pitrunner

Baltimore. It's got great support, it's not too crowded, the course is decent, the spectators are great (and I generally don't care about spectators at all), there's lots of places to see you run without having to travel too far. Weather is usually pretty decent, it's on a Saturday, and it is sponsored by UnderArmor, so the t-shirt is actually decent.
                            I like to hear this! Bmore will be my first half this fall. Baltimore: Good marathon and the city to most likely be shot and killed in.
                            xor

1)Houston. 2)Pick the closest marathon with 2 to 10 thousand people. You might consider CIM if you'll travel out that way.
                              <newbie> I think obsessor means the California Intl Marathon, held each December in Sacramento. Fast course. Some spectators. Great course size. Famous pacers. A very good race. </newbie>
                              Baltimore: Good marathon and the city to most likely be shot and killed in.
                              Does that make you run faster?? (I dunno; I've never run that race)

pitrunner

Does that make you run faster?? (I dunno; I've never run that race)
                                I should hope so.