Reasonable goal??? (Read 666 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

New here to RA and wanted to say hi to everyone. I have decided to make this my new running home Smile I have a question to ask. I trained for my first Marathon last fall that got canceled, Indy Classic Marathon. I built my mileage up to 60 miles a week and never have loved running this much before....just love running high mileage. I am a triathlete also, so I can't really bike right now because of the cold weather...well, I can ride my trainer, but that's super boring. But will still get out there on the weekends if it's warm enough. To maintain my fitness over the winter months I have decided to run 10 miles a day, 6 days a week with Friday off. Normally, I would do a longer run on Sunday's, but with no real goal or races right now, I don't think a longer run is necessary, but still may cut back Sat's run, and run longer on Sunday (12 to 15 miles). If I feel good and am not injured, do you think this is a reasonable training plan? Oh yeah, once or twice a week, I incorperate some speed and tempo work into my 10 milers.....like yesterday, 5 of my 10 miles were at 10K pace. Any opinions will be appreciated, and glad I found this forum. Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Dave

That is certainly quite a bit a mileage and, while it does come down to personal taste, I would want a bit more variety in my routine if that makes sense. Maybe something like a regular 7-8 mile run, a shorter tempo run on Saturday and then the long run on Sunday? I'm pretty sure my body would react a bit better to that. Of course it depends on your pace, fitness level, and a whole mess of other factors. Hopefully someone with much more experience than me chimes in but I would be concerned about injury with so many 10 mile efforts

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hi, Tim, Glad you found RA. Can't speak to your question, since I'm still so totally in awe of anyone who manages to get in over 20 mpw, although running the same distance every day would wear me out mentally as well as physically no matter how long or short. (I'm still hovering at around 13 mps, increasing ever-so-slightly toward my goal of 25.) One thought on the bike trainer, though. (I assume this is where you "ride" your bike indoors, kind of like a stationery bike?) If I had a set-up like that, I'd rejoin Netflix and spend cold, dark winter days/nights watching movies that I wouldn't otherwise have time for while "riding" my bike. Drop by the Masters Users group and say hi! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Feeling the growl again

He's already built his mileage up to 60 mpw last fall, why would continuing that be a huge injury risk? Lots of people run way over 60 mpw with no problems. I'd prefer a little more variety, but the plan itself is sound.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Another Passion

I'd say if your body's handling it, you feel good with it, and your not getting bored out of your skull... then why not. I would agree with a couple other posts in that I would lose my mind doing 10 miles everyday, as I don't think I could find enough of a variety of routes, but to each their own. Good luck.

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Dave

He's already built his mileage up to 60 mpw last fall, why would continuing that be a huge injury risk? Lots of people run way over 60 mpw with no problems.
              I guess I just see a difference in terms of injury risk between running 6 x 10 per week and a more varied schedule that equals the same weekly mileage. Not sure I have anything really solid to base that on though. I seem to respond better to a long run and then a few shorter efforts than repeated runs great than 80 minutes or so. Maybe its because of my age. Who knows...

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the responses so far. Actually I think 10 miles is a perfect distance "to me". Usually takes me about 1:20 on a tempo run, or maybe 1:45 on a slow run. I know variety is good, but I am extremely motivated and I don't get tired of running the same distances. My variety comes from running new - different routes all over town and in the country. I may add also, that most of my runs are slow enough that I could converse with someone if they were there. I used to run hard alllll the time, and could only run 2 or 3 times a week, and was constantly injured and sore. And I have learned to listen to my body better, and when to rest and extra day and cross train on my bike or swim....hate lap swimming though. I really have found that slow, low HR training is the way to go to be able to increase mileage like I did. But it was hard at first because I thought everyone was looking at me and thinking "look at the slow runner, or look at the jogger" But I dropped my ego and now realize, I am training and don't care about what others think, especially the lazy people that can't even walk a mile Big grin Thanks, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

On a side note, when you log your miles, make sure to put in seconds. Right now, your pace for your miles are about a minute per mile Wink

Marathon Maniac #3309

On a side note, when you log your miles, make sure to put in seconds. Right now, your pace for your miles are about a minute per mile Wink
                    LOL, thanks...I am still getting use to all this stuff at RA Cool Got the info changed. Tim

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi, Tim, Glad you found RA. Can't speak to your question, since I'm still so totally in awe of anyone who manages to get in over 20 mpw, although running the same distance every day would wear me out mentally as well as physically no matter how long or short. (I'm still hovering at around 13 mps, increasing ever-so-slightly toward my goal of 25.) One thought on the bike trainer, though. (I assume this is where you "ride" your bike indoors, kind of like a stationery bike?) If I had a set-up like that, I'd rejoin Netflix and spend cold, dark winter days/nights watching movies that I wouldn't otherwise have time for while "riding" my bike. Drop by the Masters Users group and say hi! Eliz
                      Hi Eliz....where is the masters user group at...can't seem to find it. You can use my bike trainer or rollers anytime you want Smile Tim

IMHO, in order to make gains, you need a challenge, a benchmark, a stretch of your comfort zone. Your increased pace on some of the 10 milers could be that challenge but it won't help improve your marathon endurance. I'm a hardcore believer in the weekly/biweekly long run. I guess the bottom line rests on your immediate goal for the future. If you have a 26.2 trip planned, 6 x 10 is good but not all you need.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

OT, but Tim --- did you lose 100 lbs? That's fantastic!
                          2009: BQ?
                            OT, but Tim --- did you lose 100 lbs? That's fantastic!
                            The guy deserves a medal. Smile

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yeah, I have lost 100 pounds...wish I had a picture to post when I was fat to compare to the picture I have showing here. I went through an ugly divorce about 9 years ago when my wife left me for a close friend of mine, after 20 years of marriage. I was super depressed and did not take care of myself at all. I finally decided enough was enough and started eating better and caring about myself again. Actually, I lost most of my weight through eating right (I hate the word diet, because diets have to end at some point) Then I started cycling, then running and swimming. I fell in love with training for triathlons, and now I love to run more than anything. It is extremely easy now to maintain my weight, which is a wonderful feeling. Thanks for the kind words, it's great to have a nice body at 48 years old Cool Tim