Lasik anyone? (Read 699 times)

I just turned 40, and just waiting for my reading vision to go south, too. For the first time I'm seriously considering Lasik. Anyone have any success ?

- Anya

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I had lasik in my 20s and loved it. I actually was one of the rare individuals who didn't get perfect results the first time and had to go back for an "enhancement" (nice word for redo). I got it done at a place that gave me the enhancement for free. My vision is still nearly perfect (now 31) and I love it. I know that they do a slightly different procedure for those who may be nearing reading glasses age, and I was told at the outset that reading glasses may well be in my future. It was the best thing I ever did and highly recommend it. Smile

TRUST THE PROCESS

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I got my eyes zapped. No regrets, even after the exorbatant fees my doc gouged from me while my eye balls were suctioned to the lazer. Seriously, it's great. I can run in the rain and still see clearly. I can run with sun glasses. No need to search for glasses in the middle of the night. Make sure you interview your doctor. Ask him/her all the hard questions such as: - how many surgeries have they done - what percentage of them require a redo - how many botched jobs? How did they handle the botched jobs? - what are the typical problems they encounter? How did they handle them? These are your eye balls. Find out all you can before you experience some of these aftewards. Oh, and take advantage of the medical flexible spending account if your employer allows one.
          Thanks for the info guys. I am going to start researching doctors. I hope it will also help with my night vision. Geeze, this getting old business is for the birds!

- Anya

evtish

Yes Oct 1999, in Montreal at Lasik Vision, $999 for both eyes. That's right, I drove up to Canada with my bro and we both did it. Great price (a bandit in Cambridge wanted $5k) and better resolution laser than in the US at the time. It's awesome! 20-400+ to 20-25 in 10 minutes, with the added benefit that since I wasn't fully corrected to 20-20, I can hold off on reading glasses for longer. Big grin Don't know much about the far sighted correction procedures.
            Timbodeener

I just had my eyes done the weekend before Christmas. I was 47 at the time (just turned 48) and had been wearing the no-line (Progessive??) Bi-focals for the last 3 years. The docs there convinced me to try "mono-vision" where one eye is corrected for distance and one eye is either left alone or undercorrected so that reading without "cheater glasses" is possible. Your brain is supposed to adjust and basically give you a clear image no matter what you are looking at. I don't like the mono-vision myself but it does exactly what they said....I can see far and I can read without glasses. I can see the advantage of mono-vision for the right person (supposedly women adjust better than men) but it's just not for me. I have to wait one more month to make sure the eyes are fully healed then I will have the enhancement lasik done to balance out my eyes for distance vision and just put up with needing cheaters for reading. I do love not needing to wear my glasses anymore....especially when running and sweating! good luck!
                I've really been tossing this idea around lately. I am really sick of being so blind at night, god forbid if something should happen where I am alone and REALLY need to see. Can anyone throw out a round about price to me? I just want to be prepared when I have to go and ask for a loan....or ask my husand to invest our tax return in me!
                  Cewickbe, I'm just now trying to research it. I think it's between 2-4 grand..... If someone could chim in, that would be awesome. It probably varies by region too. I'm in the DC area... hmmm.

- Anya

Good thread. It's made me do a little research. I'm myopic, nearsighted, & have worn glasses since 6th grade. I've always been able to see up close fine with or without my glasses. I'm 47 & in the last couple of years I've noticed I can't read up close unless I take my glasses off. I just looked the term up & I have presbyopia, translated old person's eyes. My eyes don't adjust to things up close like they used to. I'd love to run without glasses but, I'm not interested in trying monovision. I used to wear contact lenses & one time I went swimming with them in. One lens floated away in the water & the memory of driving home feeling like my head was coming unscrewed isn't pleasant. Personally for me it's not worth the money. If I got Lasik done I'd just trade my current pair of glasses for reading glasses. For the same money I could buy a bigger TV or take a vacation.
                      for me i can't really see the point given how good and easy my contact lenses are. the only difference if i's had lasik would be being able to swim without goggles. not really worth it i don't think.
                      Timbodeener

I've really been tossing this idea around lately. I am really sick of being so blind at night, god forbid if something should happen where I am alone and REALLY need to see. Can anyone throw out a round about price to me? I just want to be prepared when I have to go and ask for a loan....or ask my husand to invest our tax return in me!
                        cewickbe, the place I got mine done is highly respected and everything (including the building and equipment) was all brand new so I felt confident that it was the latest technology....in other words I was willing to pay a little more to get my eyes done at this particular place even though there are a few much less expensive options around my area. My cost quoted was $2,100 per eye but they were running a $400 "special discount" supposedly for the month of December so it ended up costing me $1900 per eye. I know some people that have gotten both eyes done for a little less than I paid for one eye....but like someone asked me before having it done....do you really want to shop in the bargain basement" for surgery on your eyes? My price included the free enhacement if I wasn't happy with the monovision....that is the only reason I went along with trying it out. Tim

Life is Good

My Husband and I both had Lasiks about 4 years ago, both surgeries went off with out any problems or regrets..my only advise do the research on the clinic you use..I have heard more complaints about the factory type places that do the surgery..where the people weren't satisfied and had to keep going back, my husband and I chose to go to an doctor who had a small practice ( a few surgeries a day compared to 50 from one of the factory type places) it did cost a little more but it was worth it in my opinion. good luck deciding!

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Dog-Love

I'm 49 and I had it done last Nov. Am getting a free enhancement in May to bring both eyes to perfection in May. I LOVE it and it cost me about $2800 for the LASIK and an additional $800 to my ophthalmologist here in Juneau for the preops and follow-ups. See...in Juneau we have to travel out for these procedures. I thought the Juneau fees were a bit of a scam since the guy knows I don't have to buy glasses every other year anymore. I love not having to bring contact solutions when I travel and since the weather is so wet and cold here in AK this LASIK was the best thing I ever did for outdoor activities!
                            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                            Timbodeener

I'm 49 and I had it done last Nov. Am getting a free enhancement in May to bring both eyes to perfection in May. I LOVE it and it cost me about $2800 for the LASIK and an additional $800 to my ophthalmologist here in Juneau for the preops and follow-ups. See...in Juneau we have to travel out for these procedures. I thought the Juneau fees were a bit of a scam since the guy knows I don't have to buy glasses every other year anymore. I love not having to bring contact solutions when I travel and since the weather is so wet and cold here in AK this LASIK was the best thing I ever did for outdoor activities!
                              Crabby, just curious....do you need reading glasses for close work/reading?

Dog-Love

I don't yet for reading, but for things like threading a needle I do. I know that everyone will need reading glasses sometime and I expect that in a coup;le of years I will too. But right now, I can still read without. You know even if I needed glasses to read, I am still thrilled with not needing glasses to do everything else. ANd absolutely no problem reading computer screens. Half my life.
                                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)