More Garmin Questions (Read 789 times)

I've been pricing the 305 and the 405 and really hoping to find a deal on one. I was searching Costco's site and I found a 301. I've never heard any of you mention the 301 is totally inferior or something?
    Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
      From what I've heard, the 301/401 line has a significantly worse GPS receiver than the 305/405. MTA: I meant the 201/301 are worse than the 205/305. Whoops. I don't know much about the 405.

sean

I wouldn't consider anything less than the 305 - a lot of strides were made between the 301 and 305. When choosing between the 305 and 405, price comes in a bit, as well as whether you want maps. As far as I can tell, the map features and price are the real advantages the 305 has over the 405. The 405 is a smaller watch (about the size of a normal wrist watch) and locks onto the satellites faster. I haven't read whether its more accurate or not, but the 305 is plenty accurate for me. The 301 crashes more, is bulkier, takes longer to lock onto the satellites and loses the signal more often. And its bulkier.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks to you both.
          Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers

A Saucy Wench

although from what I am reading on RA the 301 is more durable/less glitchy.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The Greatest of All Time

The 405 is a smaller watch (about the size of a normal wrist watch) and locks onto the satellites faster. I haven't read whether its more accurate or not, but the 305 is plenty accurate for me.
              FWIW Trent and I ran together on Sunday morning. He has a 305 and I have a 405. Our auto-lap marked each mile almost simultaneously. They were very consistent with each other.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                I've never had any problems at all with the 305. It's a little larger than the 405, but I don't even notice it on my arm when I'm running. I can't see wearing the 405 as an every day watch anyway. There's no way I'd wear a watch that I had to take off and charge periodically.
                  There's no way I'd wear a watch that I had to take off and charge periodically.
                  I have been wearing mine as an everyday watch, BUT I'm a lunchtime runner and periodically would forget to throw my 305 in my gym bag. With the 405, it's one less thing to remember. That being said, I don't wear it on the weekends.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

KatieBee

I'm really sorry if someone has asked this before... i just got a 405 for my birthday.... i can confirm that it is a thing of beauty... only problem is that it doesn't seem to work... Its fine... its logging my run... then I get to about 4 miles and it switches back to the time (and on one occassion kept scrolling between the time and telling me how much battery power I had left)... I could not figure out how to get the display back to telling me how far I had run... It was really irritating... When I stop the run and stop the timer, its all in the history so its working in the background I just cant see it... Has anybody else had this problem?
                      Not to be Captain Obvious, but have you read the manual? I think the 305 has an "auto page switching" mode and I'm guessing the 405 does too.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mw0031

The price gap can be significantly narrowed if you look for special deals to club members at certain web-based retailers. I got mine for 280 bucks, and it really is a much more comfortable watch than the 305. It is certainly not the smallest watch in the world; but it is also not obviously a "gadget." I dig the features too: the bezel, the modes, the trainer. It's a really cool toy if you can splurge on it.
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Not to be Captain Obvious, but have you read the manual?
                          Hey Captain Obvious, the Man Club called. They want your membership card back. A real man would rather flail about and fail than read a manual. Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Hey Captain Obvious, the Man Club called. They want your membership card back. A real man would rather flail about and fail than read a manual. Clowning around
                            Haha. You know as well as I do that they already revoked it the last time I wore a tux. Like you didn't read it. LOL.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Like you didn't read it. LOL.
                              Who the hell am I kidding. I often read manuals cover-to-cover.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Former runner

I'm really sorry if someone has asked this before... i just got a 405 for my birthday.... i can confirm that it is a thing of beauty... only problem is that it doesn't seem to work... Its fine... its logging my run... then I get to about 4 miles and it switches back to the time (and on one occassion kept scrolling between the time and telling me how much battery power I had left)... I could not figure out how to get the display back to telling me how far I had run... It was really irritating... When I stop the run and stop the timer, its all in the history so its working in the background I just cant see it... Has anybody else had this problem?
                                Sounds like your putting it in the clock mode while running. You can switch to the other modes while the timer is running. You just need to touch and hold the bezel on the training mode to get back to the training screen. If you find you are accidentally touching the bezel and changing screens, you can lock it out by hitting the two buttons simultaneously. Repeat to unlock.

Ross