Laser Eye Treatment (Lasek) - Returning to running (Read 695 times)

Hi All, I am currently training away and really enjoying it!! I am looking for a bit of advise from you if you have ever had laser eye treatment and how long it took you to return to running. As I am planning to do the Dublin marathon in October my present to myself is to get myself laser eye surgery. I was going to wait til after the marathon to have this done as I did not want to miss time out of training BUT I had a consultation today and the surgeon suggests that Lasek would be the best surgery for me to get. Basically it is less intrusive than Lasik and a flap is not cut/raised in the process. I will need to wear contact/protective lenses for 3/4 days after surgery so I obviously won't be able to train for a week maybe. The surgeon told me that after the lense is removed I can go straight back to running - I do not know whether this is good advise so I am asking if you have ever got it done and how long it took you to get back to running - I reckon I would be ok with losing a week of training if it meant I could get the surgery done in the next few weeks - given that October is still a fair time off. Any help would be fantastic. Cheers, James

Dog-Love

Hi James: I had it done, love it, and ran 2 days later. Could probably have run the next day but it was a rest day and I was spending quality time with my husband and decided not to fly out for a run. They don't touch your lens, but they do take a wee bit of corneal tissue off. Use the Search function to see what a lot of others have to say about it. Here is one link. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/7389c354de4149fd94dd3f079aa6ad7b#focus
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        I had regular Lasik. Easy. I played hockey the next night. I didn't have to go through the contact lens rigamarole that you mentioned.
          Hey James, If you don't feel comfotable with your surgeon's advice, why would you let him perform the procedure? Confused I imagine that he has probably done 100's/possibly 1,000's of these surgeries--yet you will seek advice on the forum from individuals that had the procedure done on them--1 time? If you are worried about missing several days of training for an October marathon--in April--please don't be. If you are really upset about missing a few days training don't you have an option of deferring the procedure until after the marathon? Another suggestion, go see several other surgeons and get their take on recovery time and when you can return to your training. You can average out their responses. Hey, it is only your eyes. Nick
          Timbodeener

I had Lasik done on both eyes back in December and ran two days later as well...no problems. I just had an "enhancement" surgery done on my right eye last Friday and did a 4 mile trail run the next day...again no problems. Just make sure you are using the antibiotic drops and steriod drops as prescribed and you should be OK....(unless you sweat acid) Wink
            mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Had all-laser LASIK Oct 2006, and IIRC doc said no heavy lifting for 4 days, no strenuous exercise for a week, so the flap would heal correctly. I wasn't running at the time, but I think that came under the strenuous exercise list. JMHO, wait until after the race and have it done then. Your race recovery and eye recovery can then be done at the same time. Michael