Eating/Drinking during a race (Read 532 times)

I'm not sure what forum to put this in, so I'll try here since it really has to do with an upcoming Marathon. I'm currently training now, never really been a long distance runner. I've been trying to get in some calories/energy/salt on my long runs in the form of gu and gatorade. The problem is, the stuff is sooooooooo sweet. My questions are - is it essential or can I just drink water during the race and eat a luna bar prior to the runs and during the actual marathon. Will I crash? If it really is essential to get some calories during, what can I use that isn't so sickly sweet. Today I ran about 16 miles and 1 gu - brought 2 but could only stomach one and drank 1.5 little bottles of gatorade (only when I ran out of water). Thanks for any help. Samantha
    mikeymike

It all depends on how fast you run. And by that I mean how close to your potential for 26.2 miles. If you try to run close to the fastest you are capable of you will crash about mile 20, give or take. If you take it easy, you've got plenty of stored energy to get you through the full 26.2 on just water. Trent will likely chime in with his manifesto on the subject, which is a good read by the way, but that's about the size of it. If you're really racing, odds are you'll need to take on some calories on the run. If you're going slowly (for you) you can probably do without. mta: CLICK HERE FOR TRENT's MANIFESTO. 13th post down.

Runners run

xor

I won't take a side on the calories debate (today, at least)... But I will say this if you are planning on "just water" for a long race. Take some electrolytes with you... capsules (endurolytes, succeed, etc) or something to mix with water (like NUUN). You will need electrolytes. Especially if you are training and/or racing in warm weather. Now, as for going with water and luna bars (or any solid food), make sure to try that during training. A lot. Unless I'm out for a very slow run, I can't handle solid food without it coming back quickly one direction or causing other stuff to move too quickly the other direction. Some people can. Race day isn't the right time to learn.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mikey, I have little to add Big grin SRL, what is the calorie debate? I agree, if you are consuming large amounts of water, you need electrolytes. If you are running in cooler weather and drinking a lower amount of water, you may not need electrolytes. The concern, of course, is hyponatremia, which is diluted blood sodium. This is more common among runners who are female, who run >4 hour marathons and who drink >2-3 liters, according to the science we have.
          xor

SRL, what is the calorie debate?
            I took a shortcut in my post. Not so much of a debate regarding the race. The debate I was considering in gory detail is "Should I take in calories during my long run?" No: The main purpose of the long run is to train your body to use fuel more efficiently Yes: Train like you'll race.

Dave

mta: CLICK HERE FOR TRENT's MANIFESTO. 13th post down.
              That should be published somewhere like a magazine. Awesome.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Runners World this month had a tip on this. They said that if you are running for 75 mins or more, then you need to take in Electrolytes, enegery boosters or something. They also said to start taking them about 45 mins into your run. I have just started experimenting with this products (after reading the article). I have run one HM this year and have another coming up in 20 days. In the past, all I took was water and Powerade/Gatorade on my long runs. I've made it through them okay, but now trying something new. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"