The Dinner Table--RA vs. (and? or? with?) CR (Read 1880 times)

Why is it sideways?

This isn't really a thread about running, but I thought I'd put it in the "new to running" thread because it's about newness. The last couple of days have brought an influx (I've called it a "flood" to myself, quietly) of new folks to this community. Those of us who have been here for a while are worried that this flood will significantly change the culture that we really cherish. Change is a pretty regular feature of life, and it's not always bad. My sense is that this change can bring new ideas, new friendly folks, and enhance the quality of the boards. One way, perhaps, to make sure that it does is to reflect openly about the sorts of things we appreciate about RA (and, perhaps, the things that you appreciate about the Coolrunning community) to try to find shared values and practices that we can actively work to promote. So, I thought it might help to have a thread that is explicitly about these changes. A place for folks to state their worries, to draw attention to new possibilities, or just to get to know each other. A place to sit down together in the spirit of keeping this place awesome and, perhaps, making it even better.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not fond of the groups that duplicate groups we already have (ie the Marathon Madness Mob), only with CR specific titles and seemingly clique-y behaviors. Posters on RA are either members of RA or members of CR--not both. If new members are going to take advantage of Eric's resources and time it should not be to create a new CR. All of these new folks left CR for a reason...if CR was no longer serving needs and instead angering its members, why would said members want to in any way affiliate themselves with that place that is/was a souce of so much frustration? The CR you knew and loved no longer exists. As much as it may hurt to do so, it's time to move on, start fresh.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Thunder

Jeff, nice work. Can you pass me the mashed taters?

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

I'm not fond of the groups that duplicate groups we already have (ie the Marathon Madness Mob), only with CR specific titles and seemingly clique-y behaviors. Posters on RA are either members of RA or members of CR--not both. If new members are going to take advantage of Eric's resources and time it should not be to create a new CR. All of these new folks left CR for a reason...if CR was no longer serving needs and instead angering its members, why would said members want to in any way affiliate themselves with that place that is/was a souce of so much frustration? The CR you knew and loved no longer exists. As much as it may hurt to do so, it's time to move on, start fresh.
          I thought the same thing when I saw the new "Cool Runnings Marathon Training" group. People are funny that way.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Why is it sideways?

Jeff, nice work. Can you pass me the mashed taters?
            Sure thing, lightening legs. I want me some cornbread.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gravy IS a beverage, contrary to popular opinion. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I agree with z-z. That's why I haven't asked where the Masters (or "Boomers" -- Roll eyes ) forum is, and the daily thread and the intrepid thread, and weekly, and yadda yadda yadda. It's hi-neighbor time! Pass the cranberry sauce (hey, someone did an awesome job getting it out of the can -- the can imprint is still there!!!).

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm concerned too. I left CR because it had become an unpleasant place, well before the changeover to Active.com. Wading through the trolls, insults, intolerance and "inside" stuff to try to find something useful was a chore. So far the new folks seem OK, I haven't seen any of the known CR jerks over here--yet. Oh yeah, Zoomy mentioned another thing that I forgot to mention that I disliked over there: cliquishness.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

Nice thought Jeff...I was thinking I would back off and watch how the site progressed through these changes and then I thought...how great to read new folks enthusiasm for their own change...I should keep posting ad libidum. I noticed at first how few of the newbies opened their logs to the public and then realized they are probably learning the site and hesitant to break into this rather tight crowd. I know from experience that size does matter and bigger groups bring 1) diversity, a good thing 2) lots of diverse egos; can be a good thing 3) animosity; not a great thing 4) animosity leads to its own set of problems I moved to Alaska because I was so very tired of all of the problems that stem from large populations of folks living too close and I sure hope RA doesn't fall to such problems. This is a GREAT site that fosters positive running advice/venting/etc. I also hope to wathc the evolution of this site positively
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                    Scout7

Pass the cranberry sauce (hey, someone did an awesome job getting it out of the can -- the can imprint is still there!!!).
                      It's all about the proper application of the explosive charge. Can openers are so passe.
                        I agree. I think we should lose the CR tags on everything. There's already a group / forum for that- CR Refugees (http://runningahead.com/groups/CRR), and I think that's plenty. We should try and become part of the RA community, and not to turn this place into cool running 2 or try to remain separate from the RA members. It's not like cool running was perfect, the server was slow, the forum and log software were old and out of date. I look at this as a new beginning for us and hope that this will turn out better than cool running ever was.
                          I agree with z-z. That's why I haven't asked where the Masters (or "Boomers" -- Roll eyes ) forum is, and the daily thread and the intrepid thread, and weekly, and yadda yadda yadda. It's hi-neighbor time! Pass the cranberry sauce (hey, someone did an awesome job getting it out of the can -- the can imprint is still there!!!).
                          I like how you think. Smile Over time everyone will blend together just fine, at least this is what I'm hoping for. And...I prefer the canned cranberry but my aunt insists on making homemade chunky style cranberrry sauce - can you imagine!?! She knows me too well though so she always has one can of the "fake" stuff for me. And I always get the job of opening it - gotta love the imprint!

Michelle

Scout7

I agree. I think we should lose the CR tags on everything. There's already a group / forum for that- CR Refugees (http://runningahead.com/groups/CRR), and I think that's plenty. We should try and become part of the RA community, and not to turn this place into cool running 2 or try to remain separate from the RA members. It's not like cool running was perfect, the server was slow, the forum and log software were old and out of date. I look at this as a new beginning for us and hope that this will turn out better than cool running ever was.
                            I like you.
                            va

Aw, shucks. Blush Now pass the cornbread dressing! Big grin