Any RA'ers affected? "Las Vegas marathon runners say they were sickened" (Read 1784 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Just saw this: http://www.lvrj.com/news/marathon-runners-say-they-were-sickened-135233493.html

Some local Austin, TX folks who ran in Vegas said it was not well organized. Guess this could be one result.

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Durrr

"Soon, the 50-year-old Las Vegan was doubled over from stomach cramps "worse than childbirth." Violent vomiting and explosive diarrhea almost kept her from crossing the finish line."

ALMOST kept her from?? If someone in a race is spewing liquid fecal matter and throat bile discharge all over the course, they should probably be kept away from the finish line zone.

MTA:  that race sounds like it was an all-around BARFORAMA.

kcam

Is it really standard procedure for "almost all major running events" to fill  drinking water cups from a giant trashcan filled from a water hydrant?  I've never noticed that at any race I've ever run.  Seems unsanitary.

Im so glad I passed on this. I did it three straight years, and havent done it since Rock N Roll took over. Devine sucked too--but not compared to this fiasco. Also my slow ass self couldnt ahve finished by the 4:30:00 cutoff. This should be an awesome destination marathon--but there are major issues every year.

#artbydmcbride

Is it really standard procedure for "almost all major running events" to fill  drinking water cups from a giant trashcan filled from a water hydrant?  I've never noticed that at any race I've ever run.  Seems unsanitary.

I've only seen Rock n Roll events do this in San Diego

Runners run

Queen of 3rd Place

Look at the reviews on marathonguide.com, sounds like it was an absolute disaster

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=2377111204

Ex runner

Feeling the growl again

Regardless of how they clean it, a trashcan is NOT food-grade plastic.  All sorts of nastiness could seep out of the plastic and into the water.  They should not be doing that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

There are these things called trash bags. Are you familiar with them? You use them to line the trash can, duck tape, add water. Makes it extremely easy to load cups with water.

Seriously, get over it... your door knob is filthier.

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.
                  Troy.

There are these things called trash bags. Are you familiar with them? You use them to line the trash can, duck tape, add water. Makes it extremely easy to load cups with water.

Of course, I don't drink out of my door knob.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

A Saucy Wench

Not all fire hydrant water is potable either. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

Trash bags are not food-quality plastic either.

It is not about filth, it is about the chemicals involved and leachability.  Do you know anything about the leaching of chemicals from plastic?  Do you understand why they have food-quality plastic to begin with?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, "filth" wouldn't be my concern, either...bacterial stuff takes a lot longer to affect a person.  It sounds like people were sick during and immediately after the race.  That speaks to chemical poisoning, not bacterial.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Of course, I don't drink out of my door knob.

How would you say that this strategic choice has affected your running?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Julia1971

"Soon, the 50-year-old Las Vegan was doubled over from stomach cramps "worse than childbirth." Violent vomiting and explosive diarrhea almost kept her from crossing the finish line."

ALMOST kept her from?? If someone in a race is spewing liquid fecal matter and throat bile discharge all over the course, they should probably be kept away from the finish line zone.

MTA:  that race sounds like it was an all-around BARFORAMA.

I'm confused.  "[A]lmost" sounds like she finished.  But, then it says, "It wasn't until the 12th mile that she finally got someone to listen to her that she needed an ambulance".  Did she convince someone she needed an ambulance but kept running?  Or, was this one of those 12 mile half marathons?

Feeling the growl again

Yeah, "filth" wouldn't be my concern, either...bacterial stuff takes a lot longer to affect a person.  It sounds like people were sick during and immediately after the race.  That speaks to chemical poisoning, not bacterial.

I believe bacterial poisoning would hit around 4-6 hours.  i didn't mean to imply that putting water in a trash can would lead to acute chemical poisoning, but it certainly may not be good for you.  We used non-food-grade plastic to hold beverage once, before I knew better, and in only 3 hours the liquid was not drinkable due to chemical leaching.