Any RA'ers affected? "Las Vegas marathon runners say they were sickened" (Read 1784 times)

keeponrunning

OMG!  I have the same story!  When I ran a 1/2 in NYC about 2000 years ago these was a woman in front of me wearing pantyhose that didn't hold it in either!  I ran as fast as I could to pass her!  How bizarre!!!! 

EWWWWWWWW.  TMI!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

OMG!  I have the same story!  When I ran a 1/2 in NYC about 2000 years ago these was a woman in front of me wearing pantyhose that didn't hold it in either!  I ran as fast as I could to pass her!  How bizarre!!!! 

It's an epidemic!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

beat

Break on through

Interesting. I think we've entered a phase where the price of the event may be a contra-indicator of "quality" - quality here defined as something a "racer" would enjoy...a race with a lower entry fee is more likely to be unencumbered by excessive crowds, bands, hoopla, etc. A race for the sake of racing.

Think Roxbury Marathon vs. any RNR marathon as a sort of extreme.

MTA: maybe this has "always" been the case.

Smile  Thanks for the plug for Roxbury!  The entry fee did double this year, though...  from $5 to $10.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Jill_B

I fly.

Smile  Thanks for the plug for Roxbury!  The entry fee did double this year, though...  from $5 to $10.

It was worth every penny.

Bring it on.

I'm thinking of adding diarrhea to Monkey 2012.

Make it explosive "FLYING" diarrhea and you might just have another participant in 2012

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

#artbydmcbride

It's an epidemic!

Or the same woman in every race!!!!  Shocked

Runners run

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

heelgrad92

I will never understand that. No race or even "event" is worth shitting yourself. If I was 800 meters from a ten minute PR, and the irresistible urge struck, I would stop dead in my tracks and do whatever I had to do to avoid shitting myself. Never.

#artbydmcbride

{{{heelgrad}}}  you don't understand, I'm sure there was nothing they could do to stop it.   Shit Happens!

Runners run

Anyone have any good experiences with Competitor?  I'm thinking of making my first HM the RnR D.C. half on March 17 since I live in NoVa but if it's consistently been a terrible experience I'm sure I can find other options!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Julia1971

Anyone have any good experiences with Competitor?  I'm thinking of making my first HM the RnR D.C. half on March 17 since I live in NoVa but if it's consistently been a terrible experience I'm sure I can find other options!

I haven't done a Rock n Roll race, but have done the National half or full for the last 5 years or so.  I'm planning to do the half in 2012 and will judge them on how much it did or didn't suck this time as compared to the last few times.  Oh, and I will carry my own water.  Wink  You can read the reviews on MarathonGuide.com for a description of some of the organizational headaches from previous years. 

KMB

I know we like to bash Competitor and RnR events on here, and it certainly sounds like this running of Vegas was horrid.

However, I did want to say that I've participated in the PF Chang's RnR event here in Arizona for 5 consecutive years (3 halves and 2 fulls) and have found them to be extremely efficient and well-organized.  Expensive, yes.  Not great for "racing", but well-run "events".  My first half was pretty slow (2:20+-ish), and there was plenty of stuff left at all of the stations.

I've never seen them pull water from hydrants in Phoenix, but our water is putrid...In fact, the fire hydrant water may not be potable, so that may not be an option.

I have no other experiences with other RnR events, so I can't speak about them.  Maybe they all suck.  But I like the Arizona event (running the marathon here again in January).

I've only done one as well (Providence, innaugural, half only) last summer and would say that it was extremely well done.  It POURED before and throughout the race, so I didnt really take any water and paid no attention to how they handled it.  I don't know if they went through any extra steps to ensure the innaugural went off without a hitch, but there weren't any that I experienced.  I'll let you know how year 2 goes.

Treadmill Addict

I've done the San Diego Rock N Roll twice. The first time it was GREAT. Super well organized, the finish line was awesome with warm cloths to wipe your face, a nice tin foil blanket thingy, tons of food, lots of crowd support throughout the whole course and finish.

The 2nd time they adjusted the course, and because I came in WAY late, (walking with family members the 2nd half) there was very little crowd support or food at the end.

Overall, I would definitely do it again. (I'm doing San Diego again this year, and hope to do it every year.) 

I won't do Vegas though, even though that's where I'm from. No way, not with reviews like that. 

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

vegefrog

I did the Nashville RNR half in April of 2009. Now I was walk/running it with my mom and sister and we finished in around 3 hours, so I wasn't RACING.

I found it to be organized and enjoyable. The course was hilly but there was so much awesome entertainment I never really focused on the course. The post race party was fun, the timing worked well and was quickly available online. Overall, I have no complaints and would do another RNR. It did start to rain and thunder so they diverted the marathoners who were finishing after 3 hours to the half course, which pissed a lot of them off. That didn't affect me though, since I was done and had beer in hand by that time.

Julia1971

Not sure what you decided but apparently, it's sold out.