Blood results are in... (Read 1960 times)

BeeRunB

Do you know what caused your low levels, Spaniel?

I had a friend who had severe problems with this, requiring a transfusion. Turns out that once she got off gluten, she got better and has never returned to dangerously low-levels. Not saying this has anything to do with you. Just curious if you know what's causing the problem.

I had "fun" with all of this last year due to hanging out at elevation with already low iron stores.  You can read about it here: http://ultracassie.blogspot.com/2012/07/ode-to-fe.html

I asked my doc if I could stop taking iron back in March, and he said I could try. He also told me not to be surprised if I had to start taking it again.  Well, I stopped for two weeks, and I could feel my energy level sinking.  I am basically taking it everyday which is a bummer because it doesn't make my tummy too happy.  It's better than feeling like I've had my battery disconnected, though.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Feeling the growl again

Do you know what caused your low levels, Spaniel?

I had a friend who had severe problems with this, requiring a transfusion. Turns out that once she got off gluten, she got better and has never returned to dangerously low-levels. Not saying this has anything to do with you. Just curious if you know what's causing the problem.

No clue.  And I am not about to spend a large amount of money sending the docs on a fishing expedition when a $7 bottle of liquid ferrous sulfate solves it.  #1 it is difficult to find a doc who really takes this seriously (my current one humors me but is a general practitioner), and #2 the odds of them figuring it out are low.  I've done all of the standard, easy tests (such as losing it through GI tract) and those came back with no cause.

People vary in their ability to take in iron (I am familiar with the biochemical pathways involved in the regulation of iron absorption to a decent extent).  For example I have a friend who does not run (much) but his iron levels are at the upper end of normal; he was warned not to take any supplements containing iron or he could reach toxic levels.  It is possible that I am on the low end, and exercise exacerbates the issue.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

What timing indeed. I stopped my low iron/anemia treatment and, whoops, I can barely crawl let alone run!

Other than the complete exhaustion and shortness of breath - it's the other symptoms that really bother me...cognitive issues...I can't spell or write or form complete thoughts properly...the weird crunchy cravings, and the irritability. Oh, and Jimmy Legs!

Feeling the growl again

What timing indeed. I stopped my low iron/anemia treatment and, whoops, I can barely crawl let alone run!

Other than the complete exhaustion and shortness of breath - it's the other symptoms that really bother me...cognitive issues...I can't spell or write or form complete thoughts properly...the weird crunchy cravings, and the irritability.

That's pretty much been me the last 2 months, to a T.  Years of this roller coaster, you think I would learn not to get lazy and go off the iron.  I was thinking I just had "kid brain" from lack of sleep etc dealing with young kids...didn't think of the iron until it was too late.  Only being able to run a 5:10 mile and having jelly legs 200m in was a wakeup call, for sure.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills