Can you wear racing flats on a normal run? (Read 1558 times)

Like the Asics Piranha ?  Can you just go on a normal 5 or 10 mile run in these types of shoes?  Can they be your everyday running shoe?  Or are they supposed to be just for races?

We are looking at new minimal running shoes for by boyfriend...  

I guess I just don't know much about these types of shoes. 

- Anya

No, if you run slower than a 6 minute mile in the Piranhas your feet could actually fall off.  It's a known fact.

Runners run

No, if you run slower than a 6 minute mile in the Piranhas your feet could actually fall off.  It's a known fact.

Ha! He's fast, but not that fast ;-)

- Anya

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Do they wear out quicker than "normal" shoes?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Do they wear out quicker than "normal" shoes?

I use the hyperspeed4's and i wear right through the red outer material very quicklySad

I'm on my third pair and it looks to be going the way of the first two.  

However other people don't seem to have this problem.

I must slide my foot around quite a bit.  but I like the fit for my wide foot.

steph  

My serious answer is, yes.  Plenty of people to lots (or all) of their training runs in racing flats.  If your BF is used to running in minimal running shoes then he should have no issue, if he's used to big, cushy trainers, then there will be some adjustment period.

As for how they wear, I've found a lot of variance from shoe to shoe.  Some racing flats I get as many miles as any trainer, some wear away to nothing or literally fall apart in 300 miles or less.  The thing about training in flats is they don't have much cushioning to begin with so you're not really worried about them breaking down in that way, it's more a matter of are they still in one piece.

Runners run

What's the dfference between a trainer, a racing flat, and a "normal" neutral running shoe, I guess.

We both wear neutrals,  I have Vibrams, Nike Free, but my everyday runner is the Brooks Ghost.   He just wants a new shoe, very lightweight......

- Anya

Weight and marketing mostly.

Runners run

If he's not used to wearing ultra light racing flats, then the Tarther or hyperspeed bight be a better choice for every day training, the two differ in heel thickness (26 mm vs 21) but identical weight, personal choice.  These are slightly heavier than Piranhas at 7.2 oz vs 4.7. 

Thanks for the info.

- Anya

I'm a Newton guy (seventh pair), and a lot of even their trainers are as light as racing flats. I love them, the only problem being price. No Newtons are cheap. The the blue Gravity trainers wear like iron.

C-R

Can't add much to what Mike said. He's spot on.

I run everything in lightweight trainers/racers/flats. I seem to have no issues with this. I did however, slowly transition away from more cushioned shoes to lightweight shoes so I could use them everyday.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It's a good idea to do some workouts, preferably quality ones in your racing shoes.  If the only time you where those shoes is in the race, you may be in for some unwelcome surprises.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

It's a good idea to do some workouts, preferably quality ones in your racing shoes.  If the only time you where those shoes is in the race, you may be in for some unwelcome surprises.

No, no, no!  If you're not used to it, that's the sure invitation to potential injury.  Quality workout is enough stress to hurt you; wearing racing flats, if not used to it, is another potential stress.  You don't want to combine two potential source at once!!  

Start with easy jog (short and easy) in minimalist shoes/racing flats first; then do some easy quality workout (okay, that's "jumbo shrimp"...) in regular training shoes--like do some strides in training shoes or even do first half of your interval sessions in training shoes; THEN do your quality workouts in racing flats.

This is yet another case scenario where practice of elites completely falls off from practicality of recreational runners simply because common sense is thrown out the window and, consequently, only "a practice" (=in this case, do quality workout in racing flats) remains.  Think about the background of those who practice quality workout in racing flats; they haven't been plodding along at 12-minute-mile pace for years and, all of a sudden, one day decided to do Yasso800 in racing flats.  Ease your way into it.

Of course, ideally, you would want to have covered hill training to strengthen and stretch your legs first but that's Lydiard training method and that's a whole another topic.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nobby, my point is that the first time you run at race pace in your racing flats shouldn't be in the race.  It should be in a well-paced workout so you can know what racing in those shoes will feel like before you actually are doing it for real.

Your point is well taken that one should build up to race pace and break in your flats on easier workouts, (particularly if you're not experienced in doing quality/speed workouts), I'll give you that.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.