Can you wear racing flats on a normal run? (Read 1558 times)

Oh roo roooo!

I run everything in lightweight trainers/racers/flats. I seem to have no issues with this. I did however, slowly transition away from more cushioned shoes to lightweight shoes so I could use them everyday.

This is pretty much my situation also.  I started moving to "less shoe" probably 3 years ago, so a very gradual process.  However, since I did make a slow progression, I haven't really had any injury problems as a result of abrupt shoe changes.  I find that I can't use the really minimal shoes (like Piranhas) for 20-milers, as my feet just plain hurt if I try to go too far.  However, they're fine for up to 6 or 8.  Even things like whether I'm running laps on the gravel path around the pond, running on a snow-covered road or just running on the hard blacktop seem to affect what shoes will work for what distance.  If my legs seem a bit tired or sore, I choose something with a bit more to it from the shoe smorgasbord, but even so, I still don't have anything even remotely like what I used to run in several years ago in terms of weight or stiffness or heel/toe drop.

I'm not fast, I'm not terribly experienced, but I hope this is somewhat helpful to you anyway!  Happy running!

Nobby, my point is that the first time you run at race pace in your racing flats shouldn't be in the race.  It should be in a well-paced workout so you can know what racing in those shoes will feel like before you actually are doing it for real.

Your point is well taken that one should build up to race pace and break in your flats on easier workouts, (particularly if you're not experienced in doing quality/speed workouts), I'll give you that.

Thank you for your approval. ;o)  I knew what you meant too--I'm sure you're one of those people who can get away with it--but just wanted to make sure the readers won't get the wrong idea.

When I visited Greg McMillan in Flagstaff in March, he took me to their first interval workout down in Sedona.  A beautiful place by the way...  At any rate, they went on and on and on...and, in the middle of the workout, they stepped infield and changed their shoes.  I'm one of those people who like to do the workout in a one constant flow--the only time I'd stop would be when I get to the area and strip down my pants and jacket (my track day habit, I like to get full gear for warm-up); just go right into it and be done with it.  I knew the answer but I asked him why.  He said that, for the first track workout, he didn't want to change injury so they'd do the first 80% of workout in flats and then switched to spike shoes.  "They need to get used to spikes too."  He's a smart man.

Is it true that it's not best to wear a really minimal shoe if you're carrying a few extra pounds?  Or, maybe just use the minimal shoes for your intervals or  short runs?

- Anya

Feeling the growl again

He said that, for the first track workout, he didn't want to change injury so they'd do the first 80% of workout in flats and then switched to spike shoes.

I'm a big fan of doing most workouts in the same type of flat I race in or at least a shoe more minimal than my trainers (like DS Racers), what most would consider "marathon flats".

Racing in shoes you are not used to can be pretty stressful on your body.  IMHO spikes are the extreme of this.  My marathon PR is significantly slower than it should be because I wore spikes for the first time in 2 years during my tune-up 10K....had a great race....and came out of it with a hamstring issue from the spikes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Is it true that it's not best to wear a really minimal shoe if you're carrying a few extra pounds?  Or, maybe just use the minimal shoes for your intervals or  short runs?

I'd be more concerned with your form than your weight.  If someone is 5' 5" and 165 lbs, they are pretty heavy.  If they are 6'2", they are slim.  Yet they weigh the same so forces would be about equal. 

For a given person, certainly you're going to put less impact on yourself if you are lighter.  I'd be hesitant to draw a line and say what weight or BF% someone should not be wearing flats at.  Start with a little and see how it goes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

I run everything in lightweight trainers/racers/flats. I seem to have no issues with this. I did however, slowly transition away from more cushioned shoes to lightweight shoes so I could use them everyday.

Same here, Saucony Fastwitch 4. Mostly on trails. I even did my first 100 miler in them -- though I have to admit my feet were on fire by the time I finished.

My boyfriend just picked up Brooks PureConnect.   They are pretty lightweight.  I had really, really wanted him to try the Asics Piranha, but NONE of the three good running stores here had even heard of them.   He has a light frame, and has awesome form.   I really thought those would be great shoes for him to try.

I'm the complete opposite.  I have the Nike Free, and sometimes I don't run in them, because I just feel too big and I feel like they just don't have enough to sustain me.  ha    I'm wearing the Brooks Ghost now, and they are way, way too cushiony. 

- Anya

this thread is good timing for me as my plan is to slooooolllly transistion into something more lightweight/minimal.   s/b getting my new Komodosports any day now but plan on just using them for walking for at least a month & maybe longer.   also researching lower heel drop/lighter shoes.  Brooks new Pureflow is  the leader at the moment.  4 mm drop, 8.5-9 oz but with some cushioning (which is why it it is not lighter).  ultimate plan down the road (3-6 mths or longer) is to use the Komodosports 1/wk for very easy/short days & the other light weight shoe 1x/wk (2x/wk at some point?) for some sort of speed training day.  everything else in regular shoes (Brooks Adrenelenes).  although very slowly getting better, still dealing with PF issues.  when trying on the Komodosports & Pureflow PF was not evident for the few minutes walking around in them.  Want to sloooooly begin to strengthen foot muscles/joints which is why plan is to just walk in the Komodosports before even beginning even any "easy"  real training.   

I'm not at all lightweight, but over the years the shoes that feel best for my feet and legs have transitioned downwards towards fairly light neutral shoes. I run most of my training miles and ultramarathons in Saucony Kinvaras, and I run marathons in Brooks T7s.

I generally retire the Kinvaras at 500 miles just on general principle; they show little wear even then. IMO this has more to do with gait mechanics than anything else. I agree with Nobby that just switching all your miles to a radically different shoe than what you're running is asking for injury. OTOH trying them out for speedwork a couple of times a month is probably a lot safer.

garyspeed

spam

an amazing likeness

My answer is a very serious people, Yes (or all) many learning happens in the apartments of the race.  If your using BF used to work at least, there should be no problem if it failed. The great cascade station is heated and then have a period of adjustment.

Finer prose has never been seen here. 

So moving.

A tear wells in my left eye, 

I gently wipe it away.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Troy.

My answer is a very serious people, Yes (or all) many learning happens in the apartments of the race.  If your using BF used to work at least, there should be no problem if it failed. The great cascade station is heated and then have a period of adjustment.

The apartments of the race

homes to a very serious people

heat the great cascade station.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

Blunder I motto someone wearing lone,

which reminded me that I give birth to them for my bike --

though ıt wouldn't be too carefree to adapt ıt to fillet to myself!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

SMART Approach

I'm wearing the Brooks Ghost now, and they are way, way too cushiony. 

Which Ghost model do you have? I just purchased the Ghost 4. It is certainly a cushion/neutral shoe but I feel it does not feel as cushiony as the the older Ghost models. I didn't mind the old model at all but this one feels good!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Which Ghost model do you have? I just purchased the Ghost 4. It is certainly a cushion/neutral shoe but I feel it does not feel as cushiony as the the older Ghost models. I didn't mind the old model at all but this one feels good!

It is in fact the Ghost 4.    And, it does feel good.  I am up for new shoes, and keep thinking I need a lighter, less cushiony one... But, I have had about 400 really good miles off these ones so far :-)

- Anya