Repeated injuries - thinking of getting Vibrams/minimalist shoes (Read 277 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I am no expert and I can only speak from my own experience.

**Ask me about streaking**

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The safety factor I mentioned has to do with being able to run on pavement in minimalist shoes without causing injury.  As for "...in practice...", it may be perfectly fine for you, but I rather doubt the bulk of us could run on pavement and not accelerate the wear and tear on our bodies.

So you think pavement is more injurious than rocks and sticks and thorns and whatnot?

As far as I'm concerned it is incontroversial that our bodies were designed by the process of evolution to run without shoes.  The human body is very adaptable.  

I reckon we evolved to run with our junk flapping around too, but I prefer shorts with liners. Makes me all cozy and fast(er).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        sport jester

Biomimeticist

I wear Vibrams personally, and I don't recommend them to anyone. I call them the Ferrari of shoes. All you know how to drive is a minivan. And if you step into a product you aren't trained to drive properly, how can you expect not to crash????

What few want to discuss is that Vibram is being sued for the crap they preach to sell their products. There's a reason for that legal action. And thinking the shoe will solve your medical issues is little more than wishful thinking.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/07/vibram-barefoot-sneaker-maker-sued-over-claims/

Dealing with pain is understanding how you run and what steps you take to improve your efficiency in movement. That has absolutely nothing to do with the shoes you're currently wearing, or choosing a minimalist product.

I truly hope you're not foolish enough to think that running without shoes is identical to how cultures that have never worn shoes actually run. Cultures that don't wear shoes fire every single muscle in their bodies from the ears down in a completely different sequence than you do.

Its also true humans who have never worn shoes historically, have also never walked or ran on concrete. If you don't understand the difference between those two realities, I would fully suggest you stay away from the switching idea and focus on improving your technique regardless to what product covers your feet...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

CT JEFF

The safety factor I mentioned has to do with being able to run on pavement in minimalist shoes without causing injury.  As for "...in practice...", it may be perfectly fine for you, but I rather doubt the bulk of us could run on pavement and not accelerate the wear and tear on our bodies.

Shipo. There is NO EVIDENCE - ANYWHERE that modern running shoes decrease injuries. You'd think with $$$$ at stake, if the evidence were there, theyd have found it.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

CT JEFF

What few want to discuss is that Vibram is being sued for the crap they preach to sell their products. There's a reason for that legal action. And thinking the shoe will solve your medical issues is little more than wishful thinking.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/07/vibram-barefoot-sneaker-maker-sued-over-claims/

Really? Thats your defense? That someone, somewhere thought they could make money off suing a company and that should mean the product being sued is faulty? At the very least, read an update since JULY 2012!

Part of the response from Vibram is quite good, "Indeed, the fact that it takes time to adjust to the forefoot strike form and to experience the individual benefits ascribed to barefoot running, with or without the protection of FiveFingers, is not only well documented, it is disclosed frankly by Vibram, and clearly acknowledged by Plaintiff in both versions of her Complaint. There is nothing false or misrepresentative about these concepts or what FiveFingers shoes do and do not do."

You can read more about this bogus lawsuit pretty easily. Here's some info: http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/update-on-the-vibram-lawsuit/

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/massachusetts/madce/1:2012cv10513/142815/

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Really? Thats your defense? That someone, somewhere thought they could make money off suing a company and that should mean the product being sued is faulty? At the very least, read an update since JULY 2012!

Part of the response from Vibram is quite good, "Indeed, the fact that it takes time to adjust to the forefoot strike form and to experience the individual benefits ascribed to barefoot running, with or without the protection of FiveFingers, is not only well documented, it is disclosed frankly by Vibram, and clearly acknowledged by Plaintiff in both versions of her Complaint. There is nothing false or misrepresentative about these concepts or what FiveFingers shoes do and do not do."

You can read more about this bogus lawsuit pretty easily. Here's some info: http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/update-on-the-vibram-lawsuit/

Hey princess,

Minor science lesson for you. There's nothing natural about a forefoot running technique. 23,000 year old fossil records prove otherwise.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/21/1135032083655.html?from=top5

The heel strike is clearly obvious. Not to mention they were documented to be faster than Usain Bolt in the 100 meter sprint. Oh, and unlike Bolt, they were still accelerating...

Cultures who have never worn shoes don't walk like you do, run like you do, or carry weight as inefficiently as you do. In fact they fire every single muscle in their bodies in a completely different sequence than you do. And buying the products Vibrams sells, cannot and will not instill in you a running technique Lieberman can't even describe, let alone teach...

You're better protected from injuries wearing the shoe style you were raised wearing.

Science says running without shoes has absolutely nothing in common with how humans actually run barefoot.

If you can't explain the difference, then you don't understand the legal basis for the lawsuit. Your response proves you

believe the Vibram lie.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

CT JEFF

Hey princess,

Minor science lesson for you. There's nothing natural about a forefoot running technique. 23,000 year old fossil records prove otherwise.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/21/1135032083655.html?from=top5

Wow. Your references keep getting further out of date. Next you are going to tell me Pluto is still a planet and quote something from 1975.

Lieberman isnt in the profession of explaining running form, but his analysis of the fossil record - you know from bones, not like your article of some people who were likely walking in mud. By the way. Did you read your article? It says nothing about form.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~skeleton/danlhome.html

The one thing that science I believe will soon discover is that running barefoot dislodges sticks that are lodged up ones own rectum. There is a study starting soon, I think you would be a great candidate.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hey princess,

Oh boy, another coronation.  Address the Archbishop with suitable respect.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Oh boy, another coronation.  Address the Archbishop with suitable respect.

I think we should start a club - membership requires getting crowned here on RA by Sport Jester. Perhaps there is a graphic artist on RA that could design a snappy technical tee with a masking tape covered and barefoot princess logo on it. What do ya think?

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Latent Runner

So you think pavement is more injurious than rocks and sticks and thorns and whatnot?

Oddly enough, yes.  Why?  Because each stride is different so each stress cycle is different than the one before it, unlike running on pavement.  That said, while I might well be tempted to run barefoot or in minimalist shoes on some sections of the trails I frequent, running on other sections so shod, would be tantamount to committing foot suicide.

I typically buy pretty rugged trail shoes, and after only 500 miles the shoes look like they've gone through a war.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                        • 2-mile: 13:49
                        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                        • 5-Mile: 37:24
                        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Latent Runner

Shipo. There is NO EVIDENCE - ANYWHERE that modern running shoes decrease injuries. You'd think with $$$$ at stake, if the evidence were there, theyd have found it.

Are you suggesting that I attempt to prove a positive with a negative?  Sorry, cannot be done.  Your statement could just as easily said, "Jeff CT.  There is NO EVIDENCE - ANYWHERE that modern minimalist shoes (or no shoes at all) decrease injuries.  You'd think with the $$$$ at state, if the evidence were there, theyd [sic] have found it."  It would have been just as irrelevant.

Beyond the irrelevance of your statement, the fact remains, our ancestors (along with current cultures who run barefoot) didn't evolve to run on concrete; simple truth.  To my engineer's brain, it seems pretty logical that cultures (both ancient and current) that run barefoot do so in an environment devoid of pavement, and like it or don't believe it or not, even hard-packed dirt absorbs many orders of magnitude more shock than does concrete.  That statement alone means that when I'm running on pavement, I'm going to be wearing running shoes.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                          • 2-mile: 13:49
                          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                          • 5-Mile: 37:24
                          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

CT JEFF

Oddly enough, yes.  Why?  Because each stride is different so each stress cycle is different than the one before it, unlike running on pavement.  That said, while I might well be tempted to run barefoot or in minimalist shoes on some sections of the trails I frequent, running on other sections so shod, would be tantamount to committing foot suicide.

I typically buy pretty rugged trail shoes, and after only 500 miles the shoes look like they've gone through a war.

So some sections of TRAIL are worse than others. I agree. But running on trails is harder than running on flat pavement, in shoes. Agreed? As you said, "look like they've gone through a war"

So why wouldnt you believe that running on trails is harder in bare feet than on flat pavement? But I cant see where your opinion matters regardless. You arent running on either bare foot any time soon.

Feeling the growl again

Well to be fair,  your log averages about 20mpw  and barely 600  miles this year.   it is hardly fair to compare your experiences to those of people running two or three times as many miles this year on any surface.

I  have actually tried minimal shoes on pavement at a volume relevant to most here.  it did not work well.  But they work well as  office shoes to keep the PF  at bay.

So some sections of TRAIL are worse than others. I agree. But running on trails is harder than running on flat pavement, in shoes. Agreed? As you said, "look like they've gone through a war"

So why wouldnt you believe that running on trails is harder in bare feet than on flat pavement? But I cant see where your opinion matters regardless. You arent running on either bare foot any time soon.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

CT JEFF

Beyond the irrelevance of your statement, the fact remains, our ancestors (along with current cultures who run barefoot) didn't evolve to run on concrete; simple truth.  To my engineer's brain, it seems pretty logical that cultures (both ancient and current) that run barefoot do so in an environment devoid of pavement, and like it or don't believe it or not, even hard-packed dirt absorbs many orders of magnitude more shock than does concrete.  That statement alone means that when I'm running on pavement, I'm going to be wearing running shoes.

Ok- you want science. DENSITY

Concrete, Asphalt 2243
                                Concrete, Gravel 2403
                                Concrete, Limestone with Portland 2371

Earth, dense 2002
                                Gravel, wet 1/4 to 2 inch 2002
                                Limestone, solid 2611
                                Quartz, solid 2643
                                Rubber, manufactured 1522
                                Sand, wet 1922
                                Sand, wet, packed 2082
                                Sand, dry 1602

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm