Barefoot/Minimalist Shoe Running Clinic in Grand Rapids, Michigan (Read 1842 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, that is an interesting point.  One wonders if back in the day we were as sensitive to poison ivy as many folks are today.  Asthma and allergies are on the rise; they were not huge problems for as many people like they are today just a generation or two ago.  Poison ivy has a similar mechanism to asthma and allergies. 

jfa

We have yet to hear from someone who has tried to reduce their big shoe habit with a bad outcome.

Excellent point.

Yeah, that is an interesting point.  One wonders if back in the day we were as sensitive to poison ivy as many folks are today.  Asthma and allergies are on the rise; they were not huge problems for as many people like they are today just a generation or two ago.  Poison ivy has a similar mechanism to asthma and allergies. 

As far as I know there is no poison-ivy in the Savannah.

However, if we look back the Native Americans of course wore moccasins. Just something to cover their feet to keep them protected and warm.

Oh, and I have stopped running in cushioned shoes. I am definitely not looking back. I am currently injured (shin splints), but that injury is a persistent injury from when I wore shoes. It is definitely finally getting better. You can check my logs and see how my shoes were treating me. I had to stop running twice due to the same injury. After stopping for 3 months the second time I decided to not worry about the injury and just run short distances in my VFF. This seems to be working for me.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

moccasins

Not sure that they all did.  But fine points otherwise Smile

I don't bash anyone. If you run in shoes and you don't get pain or injured, why change? I physically could NOT run a mile almost my entire life...In august I started running barefoot or in FiveFingers and haven't looked back. I've had over 5 months of pain free running, it's completely amazed me. I've turned a half dozen others onto it that had pain issues and all rave about the outcome; I can't argue with what I am seeing with my own eyes.

So shoes, or no shoes, I don't care - that fact that we get out there and get it done, that's what matters. If you have pain, get injured at least once a year, etc you have NOTHING to lose by kicking the shoes off and running some laps on the local soccer field.

Stay healthy, keep running.

I don't bash anyone. If you run in shoes and you don't get pain or injured, why change? I physically could NOT run a mile almost my entire life...In august I started running barefoot or in FiveFingers and haven't looked back. I've had over 5 months of pain free running, it's completely amazed me. I've turned a half dozen others onto it that had pain issues and all rave about the outcome; I can't argue with what I am seeing with my own eyes.

So shoes, or no shoes, I don't care - that fact that we get out there and get it done, that's what matters. If you have pain, get injured at least once a year, etc you have NOTHING to lose by kicking the shoes off and running some laps on the local soccer field.

Stay healthy, keep running.

The big problem with VFFs is all the people asking you about them. I would much rather just be left alone. I think I am going to get feelmax shoes next time. They have a 1mm sole and weigh less than VFFs.

hey, I'm with ya. I'm not brand married by any means. VFF's were what I found and went with. As long as people are doing what it takes to keep running, healthy and uninjured - go after it!

Queen of 3rd Place

The big problem with VFFs is all the people asking you about them. I would much rather just be left alone. I think I am going to get feelmax shoes next time. They have a 1mm sole and weigh less than VFFs.

I just had my first run in Feelmax shoes last night, tried 6 mi, no problem, and felt MUCH more like real barefooting than the FFs. One note: they fit snug (as the manufacturer says). Now to see how long that sole lasts, supposedly mine have the improved, Kevlar-impregnated sole.

Ex runner

CClay

Better than all of you

How do you prove a negative.

It's not a negative that I'm trying to prove.  Either barefoot running IS better for runners or it IS NOT.  Either elite runners DO IT or they DO NOT DO IT.  Those that are experts in foot related sports are saying that barefoot running IS better for runners or they ARE NOT saying that.  

It's not a negative that I'm trying to prove.  Either barefoot running IS better for runners or it IS NOT.  Either elite runners DO IT or they DO NOT DO IT.  Those that are experts in foot related sports are saying that barefoot running IS better for runners or they ARE NOT saying that.  

Isn't it possible, for a variety of reasons, that what is appropriate for an elite runner may not be right for a recreational runner?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Elite runners are not necessarily experts.  Elite runners are fast, dedicated and well trained.  But that does not mean they KNOW or UNDERSTAND foot and body biomechanics any more or less than anybody else.
                        mikeymike

Elite runners sometimes run barefoot.

Runners run

Elite runners are not necessarily experts.  Elite runners are fast, dedicated and well trained.  But that does not mean they KNOW or UNDERSTAND foot and body biomechanics any more or less than anybody else.

Not just that but... I would bet somebody that runs for a living would be very risk adverse.    They would be less willing to stray to far from conventional wisdom. 

Not just that but... I would bet somebody that runs for a living would be very risk adverse.    They would be less willing to stray to far from conventional wisdom. 

Are you guys just saying this for the argument's sake or do you guys really mean it?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nobby, note I used the modifier, "necessarily".  It is a venn diagram.  One can be an elite runner without knowing a thing about biomechanics and shoe technology.  And one can know everything about biomechanics and shoe technology and be a poor runner.  The two factors are orthogonal.  Some runners are indeed elite and can tell you all about biomechanics, to be sure, but they supposition that being an expert in one field requires that you be an expert in another lacks any validity.  To be an elite runner you need to have certain skills and toughness and an ability to apply the lessons from biomechanics (and physiology and sports medicine and loads of other fields), but that does not mean you need to know the science behind the lessons.

Dale Earnhardt drove his care better than most others, and was able to do so without necessarily knowing the physics that take place inside the engine.