Barefoot/Minimalist Shoe Running Clinic in Grand Rapids, Michigan (Read 1842 times)

Professional Antagonist

So this thread really isn't specific to Grand Rapids?

I thought it would kill the thread if I pointed out the clinic's first meeting has come and gone.  It was fun.  

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

It pretty much is way off topic now and probably should be closed.

mikeymike

And the reason people run on grass or trails is to lessen the shock loading on their legs.

That's one of the reasons why some people sometimes run on grass and trails, yes.

Runners run

mikeymike

Yesterday when I ran, I wore two pair of gloves and two layers.

Shorts over tights, no less.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And the reason people run on grass or trails is to lessen the shock loading on their legs.

I am always much more sore after trails.  This less shock thing ain't for the meek.

Shorts over tights, no less.

Gotta keep warm, you know.

WMRunner

May I remind folk that Mr. Bowerman (yes, the founder of that little old shoe company Nike) came up with his first pair of waffle soles on the basis of his hypothesis that if you raised a runner's heel that gravity would propel them forward. Seems he was already a bit messed up in the head before those waffle-iron fumes got into his system.

Good try but not really!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bowerman

"Bowerman's design ideas led to the creation of a running shoe in 1966 that would ultimately be named "Cortez" in 1968, which quickly became a top-seller and remains one of Nike's most iconic footwear designs. Bowerman designed several Nike shoes, but is best known for ruining his wife's waffle iron in 1970 or 1971, experimenting with the idea of using waffle-ironed rubber to create a new sole for footwear that would grip but be lightweight."

It's hard to lift the heel when working on the sole.

I wear shorts over tights, it keeps my junk warm.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I gotta be honest. I'm thinking a bit on lighter shoes. But all the zealotry and what looks like rather weak-thinking from the light-trainers here is a bit of a turn-off.

I may be missing significant steps, but this is the impression I get:

!!! HEAVY TRAINERS ARE A WASTE OF TIME!! NO GOOD STUDIES PROVE THEM USEFUL!!

Absence of evidence for a contrary position is, by itself, not very convincing for a case.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Scout7

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

Check out this article

By that standard, I need to eat bbq mouse, drink enough home-brewed beer and tequila to "floor an army", and live in a cave if I ever want to be a top ultra-runner.

But it's all about the shoes.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

By that standard, I need to eat bbq mouse, drink enough home-brewed beer and tequila to "floor an army", and live in a cave if I ever want to be a top ultra-runner.

But it's all about the shoes.

It is true that one needs to eat bbq mouse, drink enough home-brewed beer and tequila to "floor an army", and live in a cave to be a top ultra-runner.

Scout7

It is true that one needs to eat bbq mouse, drink enough home-brewed beer and tequila to "floor an army", and live in a cave to be a top ultra-runner.

When that becomes one of my ambitions, I'll be sure to adopt the lifestyle.

Professional Antagonist

Some of the top elites are vegan... they eat BBQ mouse-flavored tofu...

Professional Antagonist

http://www.facebook.com/notes/boulder-running-company/a-commentary-on-barefootminimalist-running/253203788772

"Walking and running barefoot certainly can serve as a useful tool in strengthening muscles and increasing proprioceptive awareness. It should be done gradually and with the guidance of a professional to analyze if a person’s mechanics will allow for the transition."

Kinda like attending a barefoot/minimalist shoe running clinic?

I wouldn't disagree with anything he says, except perhaps the part about fat pads.  I don't think fat on the sole of your feet serves a "cushioning" function.  Will 1/4 of fat really absorb the shock of running?  He does make an excellent point about the problem being overstriding, not necessarily heel striking.  The fact of the matter is some people need heavy, cushioned, supportive shoes.  Some people may not need them, but prefer them and do not experience injury.  Many runners could go to a minimalist shoe without issue as long as the transition was done correctly.  Many could also run barefoot, but the protection issue is legitimate.  Having said that, I get annoyed at shoe supporters claiming that running on [insert some random surface here] barefoot cannot be done.  That is simply not true.  Many of us run on pretty much every surface.  Extreme temps are probably not doable, but asphalt, concrete, gravel, and technical trails are all within the realm of possibility.  It doesn't take an exceptional person to adapt to that, only a smart plan to learn the skill and allow your body to adapt.  I get that many would prefer not to do that, but some of us actually like it. 

Also, based on the popularity of runBARE, any shoe salesperson in Boulder should be pumping out anti-barefoot writings.  If I were them, I think I'd just re-frame the barefoot/shod debate to heavy shoe/minimalist shoe debate, then offer a lot of sales on minimalist shoes.  Tap into our consumerism tendencies... look how popular Vibrams have become.