After run hunger (Read 4124 times)

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I need Help/Advice with after run hunger. I binge on Goldfish/wheat thins and other crap in the house! After my run/workouts I drink a lot of water, and if it is a longer run of 8 miles or more I will drink an electrolyte replacement. I come with the belief that I need to eat to within 1 hour of the run to replenish lost nutrients and refuel. Tonight I ran 4 miles. 6pm -Drank 16 oz of water right after. -Within 20 minutes had a banana -Within 45 minutes had long grain rice mixed with black beans on a tortilla. (2 tortilla, 3/4 can beans, 1 cup rice) and 32 ounces of water. Now two hours later I feel full, but I am craving crunchy junk food.........Any thoughts, advice, or similar issues? (I am not overly concerned with weight loss, I could stand to shed 4-5 lbs max). I am seeking good nutrition.

left-right-left-right-repeat

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gets fats and protein right away after a tiring run. Smoothies or eggs are good. Some folks like meat.

...---...

i love a good PB (Jif extra crunchy) on whole wheat or PB&J on whole wheat with skim milk to get me through the shower. Then I go for something else like cold left over roast chicken on whole wheat. we always seem to have pasta of some kind with lots of good stuff in it - olives, olive oil, mushrooms, parm cheese, tomatoes, spinach, garlic, feta cheese - not neccessarily all together... Honestly, after a tiring run, I've been known to eat a potato chip sandwitch if we're running low on other stuff.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I second the fat and protein. If I do a hard run in the morning, I come home and have three eggs (once you've had fresh from a traditional farm you'll never want to go back to the inferior grocery store eggs), four slices of toast with butter, a cup or two of plain full-fat yogurt, and sometimes bacon or sausage (good quality naturally raised kinds without any additives). I understand where you're coming from on craving crunchy snacks. How about nuts? I buy mixed salted nuts in bulk, they're packed with healthy calories.
          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
            Wow! That is a lot of food Ed! I usually eat very little after any run shorter than 6 miles, but do eat quite a bit of protein following any run over 8. I am also trying to lose weight which has something to do with it. Regardless of the length of run, I try to eat protein immediately, and also some carbs. The carbs may not be right, but seems to help me recover. If I am wrong on carbs let me know.
            "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
            My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com

A is A

"but I am craving crunchy junk food" Sometimes I like to have a rice cake. I keep them around just for this reason.
                VictorN

Now two hours later I feel full, but I am craving crunchy junk food.........Any thoughts, advice, or similar issues?
                  It could be salt that you are craving. If I go for a long run on the weekend, when I have more flexibility in my schedule, I'll fry up some eggs and serve them on toast with parmesan cheese or salsa. That usually follows a big glass of chocolate Ovaltine. If I do my long run on a work day, I have chocolate milk (typo: was chocolate mile) before I shower and yogurt, and instant oatmeal right after. That is usually followed by some pretzels with peanut butter. Drink plenty of water too, that will help with hunger. I sometimes find that when I think I'm hungry I'm frequently just thristy. Victor (Edited to change chocolate mile to chocolate milk.)
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have chocolate mile
                    This sounds like the best aid station at the best race on the planet. Shocked

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Peyton

While some protein is important in the first hour after a run, you should be focusing primarily on high-moderate glycemic carbohydrates to boost muscle recovery as quickly as possible. Running for an hour or more has a significant impact on the level of one's muscle glycogen stores; these stores can not be replenished as efficiently by fat and protein as they can be by carbs in the post-run meal/snack (that's why you are craving crunchy, easily-digestable carbohydrate foods). However, the right amount of quality protein consumed in the 60min "recovery window" following a workout can aid in repairing damaged muscle/tissue cells. Try one of the following snacks after your next run and see if you still crave the junk food: Powerbar Performance Bar and a Banana Sports Drink and a Granola Bar (or two) Skim/Soy Milk and 5-6 Low-Fat Fig Cookies Lightly Sweetened Cereal w/ Skim Milk and a Banana Plain Yogurt w/ Fruit and a Fairly-High Glycemic Granola (not much fiber)
                        I always have a couple of cold glasses of Gatorade or something similar to drink the moment I walk in the door from running or cycling. Then it's food time. Generally I'll make myself a ham and salad sandwich with at least 2 or 3 slices or ham for extra protein (or sometimes tinned salmon), cheese, tomato, avocado and lettuce. I restrict the amount of dairy, gluten and wheat that I have in my diet so I never have mayo on the bread, just tahini as a spread. This type of sandwich will usually fill me up for a while (although if you're a big burly bloke you'd probably need two). When I get hungry again I'll stick to fruit or rice cakes with peanut butter. A few handfuls of dried fruit and nuts is a good way to go too for snacking
                        VictorN

This sounds like the best aid station at the best race on the planet. Shocked
                          I am prone to typos. But perhaps that was one of my better ones! Now where did I put that chocolate. Victor

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Thanks everyone. I put in a 12 mile run yesterday with one caffeine free Gu prior to the run. (The effectiveness of Gu on 12 miler can be debated on another thread)! After the run I had my usual: water gookinaide recovery, a banana, trader joes organic crunchy peanut butter on whole grain sandwhich, with half a cup of soy nuts (great suggestion). This combo/spacing of foods seeemed to help. I also made sure to keep drinking water the rest of the afternoon, and survived without eating a box of triscuits or three pints of goldfish!

left-right-left-right-repeat