Morning run nutrition (Read 272 times)

bjoiner

Hey guys,

So, because of some logistical issues I've been having to move my runs to the mornings and I need some nutrition advice / opinions.

I'm definitely not a morning person.  (I think I wake up somewhere around mile 3).  But I've noticed that the lack of breakfast has been causing my runs to suffer a little.  Waking up earlier to eat an actual breakfast isn't really an option.  I do have about a 20-30 minute drive to the place where I run (near work) so I can definitely take something when I get in the car and have it settle while I drive.

I've been experimenting with ucan superstarch.  I really like it for many reasons. but to be honest I really can't stand the taste (even the flavored ones).

So I'm looking for an alternative source of fuel thats:

1.  Cheap-ish (something I can take before every run)

2.  Portable (something I can eat in the car)

3.  Something that will last for a 1-1.5 hour run.

I'm thinking maybe trying out green bananas, but I would love to hear what works for everyone else.

I like to eat a Cliff bar or banana.

Running Goals ...

"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great."  John D. Rockefeller

My usual breakfast is a cup of coffee and a Balance Bar (or half a bar if I'm not feeling hungry and going for a run less than an hour).

2014 goals

1800 miles; 5k < 25:00; 10k < 53:00HM < 2:00

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21; Newport Liberty HM 9/2; Trenton Half Marathon 10/8

jdais

1/2 Cliff bar or banana

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

Why do you need to fuel before your run?

Cup of coffee has worked for me for any type of run up to about 13 miles.

Old , Ugly and slow

I run in the morning and never eat before I run.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2014goals   1300  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Mmmmm...beer

Nothing for me on my daily runs of around the same time, usually a little over an hour.  Then I eat when I get back.  I think it's more a matter of you getting used to running early in the morning than a fueling issue.

-Dave

My running blog

2015 Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-37 10k | sub-1:23 HM | sub-4 trail 50k

Julia1971

With that criteria, I would go for fig newtons and gatorade.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
                  Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

I'm with the non-fuelers, AM runs typically 1-1.5 hr on nothing but maybe a glass of water before I go out. Sometimes longer - last Sunday I did an 18 mile LR (~2:45) first thing in the AM on no fuel. Did not notice any difference from the LR's I do later in the morning, ~2 hr after a regular breakfast.

I am no expert but it seems your body should have plenty of fuel from the night before, assuming you ate well then. And I seem to pretty much eat non-stop until bedtime.

Not sure how long you have been doing it, but your body may just need to get used to it. I do find my "comfortable" pace is a bit slower in the AM, at least at the start of the run, but that can be a good thing.

Dave

I usually have a slice of toast with almond butter, a little honey and half a banana sliced on top.

RandomRun

I just have a glass of OJ.

a.m. runner fueled on ~8oz water and a cup of coffee....  anything longer than 6 or 7miles I take a bottle of 1 part G2 and 1 part water.  works for me.  Sleepy

Half an Attic......

look up generation ucan

http://www.generationucan.com/aboutus.html

A lot of the suggestions people are giving you will spike you heart rate, and you will crash and burn.

other ideas...

Oatmeal with berries quick oats (cheep) http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/quick-oats.aspx

Hammer gel ( Portable)

http://www.hammernutrition.com/

Hammer bars ( Portable)

http://www.generationucan.com/aboutus.html

The Irreverent Reverand

For runs of 10+ miles, I will get up and eat a toasted bagel with peanut butter about 45-60 minutes before the run. Yes, 3:45am alarms suck. I also slurp down a Clif Energy Gel (vanilla) with plenty of water, and take one with me on longer runs. I find it helpful to have another after about 90 minutes.

For shorter morning runs, I just make sure I use the bathroom and get a swig of water before going out.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Goals for 2014:

Sub-3:30 marathon; run for a year free from major injuries or interruptions

PRs: 3:27 marathon; 1:41 half; 45:07 10K; 23:26 5K; 6:02 mile; <12 parsecs Kessel Run

You don't need anything for a 1-1.5 hour run.

Well, I always need coffee when I get out of bed, but that's got nothing to do with fuelling a run.