Garmin Express (Read 407 times)

RunSaintRun

So I switched over and downloaded Garmin Express. This in turn uninstalled the Garmin communicator plugin, or so I believe.

The problem: I am unable to import data to running ahead. If someone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. I'd even offer up my firstborn but she is now 15 1/2. 'nuff said

an amazing likeness

You need to uninstall Express and go back to Garmin Communicator to upload to RA (or any other site other than Garmin Connect).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

RunSaintRun

So am I correct in assuming Garmin Express does not store data on my PC??

an amazing likeness

So am I correct in assuming Garmin Express does not store data on my PC??

I don't have direct experience as of yet, but according to this Garmin doc -- the latest version of Garmin Express will leave files behind after uploading them to Garmin Connect.

Why are my activities files not being stored on my computer once I have uploaded them to Garmin Connect using Garmin Express?

I'd extrapolate that to mean you can find the data file and manually upload it to RA via the "Upload data from a file" option in the RA log.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I had no idea this was an issue.

I have Garmin Express installed (3.2.7).  I installed the communicator plugin (4.2.0) AFTER Garmin Express.  I am using Chrome 35.0.1916.153 m on Windows 8.1  I'm using a Garmin Forerunner 220...and the "Upload GPS Data" feature works perfectly on RunningAhead.  I do not use Express to upload to Garmin Connect, however--that is done via bluetooth on my smart phone.  I only use USB to upload to RunningAhead.

Strange...

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

RunSaintRun

Milk truck,

I found the fit files I needed to manually upload data to RA.  I uninstalled Garmin Express but I may try reinstalling Garmin Express and then downloading the communicator plugin and see what happens. Well at least I have a workaround for now.

Thanks!

eric :)

Hi all,

I think the problem is specific to Garmin models that depend on the Ant Agent.  According to Garmin, once Garmin Express is installed, the Ant Agent will no longer report new workouts to the Garmin Communicator, and thus new workouts will be uploaded to RA.  From what I read, it seems like the only way to upload workouts to RA is by using Garmin's new API to connect to Garmin Connect and download the workouts.  In order to get an API key, I need to persuade Garmin how RA adds value to Garmin Connect first.

eric Smile

I use Uploader to upload both to GarminConnect and to RunningAhead from my Android phone.  It seems simpler than having to screw with Garmin software  Of course when you upload to RunningAhead you have to fill out several fields that are not defaulted from previous values.  This is the same as though you had uploaded from a file.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hi all,

I think the problem is specific to Garmin models that depend on the Ant Agent.  According to Garmin, once Garmin Express is installed, the Ant Agent will no longer report new workouts to the Garmin Communicator, and thus new workouts will be uploaded to RA.  From what I read, it seems like the only way to upload workouts to RA is by using Garmin's new API to connect to Garmin Connect and download the workouts.  In order to get an API key, I need to persuade Garmin how RA adds value to Garmin Connect first.

eric Smile

Just tell Garmin that people are more likely to buy a GPS watch if it seamlessly integrates with RA. We don't want to use the Garmin Connect website. We want RA 

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just tell Garmin that people are more likely to buy a GPS watch if it seamlessly integrates with RA. We don't want to use the Garmin Connect website. We want RA 

This.

My next watch will only be garmin if I believe it will still work with RA.

If there were a list of watches approved or recommended for RA use, I'd consult that.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

This.

My next watch will only be garmin if I believe it will still work with RA.

If there were a list of watches approved or recommended for RA use, I'd consult that.

Yup.  My 610 has been a little erratic lately - corrupted files and so forth - so I've started keeping an eye out.  Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of choices with a barometric altimeter, which I really want.  Since the Ambits are already not RA friendly, and the Garmins are becoming less so, I see a lot of manual entry in my future.  Sigh.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

If I install Garmin Express then I can't upload to RA. If I DO NOT install Garmin Express will I still be able to upload to RA? I prefer the RA site to the new Garmin. If it matters, I have a Garmin 210.

That's annoying.  I have a satnav with lifetime map updates and they install via Garmin Express.  That's insisting that I upgrade it to 3.27 which will then uninstall the Ant Agent and break RA (and Strava, and FetchEveryone...).  So either I have a satnav that I can't update, or forerunners that don't work the way I bought them for.

I have emailed the Garmin executive team with some statements regarding how I feel about that.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Hi,

I have also the same problem. Garmin 410, W 8.1, Chrome or Firefox. I can see the data is uploading, but finally a get an error.

After a period of time, I have an popup window that the GarminNestcapePlugin does not respond.

But after several tryouts (switch off/on the chrome) finally I can upload data. Maybe the problem is that the plugin wants to send a data to the Garmin watch??

Here is the log:

Seaching for GarminNetscapePlugin

found GarminNetscapePlugin

Plugin version: 4.2.0.0

Unlocked plugin

plugin.finishFindDevices() completed

device 0 (Bartek): firmware="270", data type="tcx"

last upload time: 2014-07-05T20:00:15Z

Ignored non-GPS device "Memory Card (EUndecided)"

found device: Bartek

device.startReadDir()

Status: Scanning workouts: Receiving activities (17%)

Status: Scanning workouts: Receiving activities (35%)

Status: Scanning workouts: Receiving activities (52%)

Status: Scanning workouts: Receiving activities (70%)

Status: Scanning workouts: Receiving activities (88%)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?> <MessageBox xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/PluginAPI/v1" DefaultButtonValue="1"> <Icon>Exclamation</Icon> <Text>There was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device.</Text> <Button Caption="OK" Value="1"/> </MessageBox>

eric :)

Hi bartles,

The problem is most likely the USB port that your GPS is connected to.  Garmins, especially the 205 and 305s, are very sensitive to USB line noise.  If the USB port is slightly faulty, it might generate noise and cause this error.  Try connecting your GPS to a different USB port.  If that doesn't work, try a different USB cable if you have a 205 or 305.

eric Smile