Newbe (Read 182 times)

David Norris

I started putting a serious effort into running, a little over a year ago.  I'm 44 and ran 6, 5k events last year.  I am moving up to a 1/2.  My problem is, I don't have a running group in my area and I am having difficulty learning how to pace.  Any advice would be appreciated.

A keen sense of pace is difficult and for most people must be learned.   It is better to internalize than rely on a group's pace anyway so maybe it is a good thing you are on your own for the time being.

A good way to learn pacing is to go to the TRACK.   Conduct a time trial where you run a single mile at a strong effort.  Note the time for each quarter mile and see if the splits are consistent.  This will tell you a great deal about how well or not you pace yourself.  Armed with this knowledge you will have a starting point.

Many people use GARMIN devices to learn pacing while they are running on the roads.   Really, all you need is a good watch and a measured course.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

jicama

Did we win?

I found a running group on meetup.com.

Hey, we're the same age and in nearly the same boat.  I did two 5Ks and one 10K last year and have a half in two weeks.

I like my Garmin watch, but I'm not sure it's teaching me to pace.  I don't trust GPS and I haven't run on a track yet (I don't have one close enough to be convenient).  I'm starting to use my heart rate and how I feel to pace myself, depending on the type of run I'm doing.

Good luck,

Jim

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

Luke79

Hi David.  I hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree, but I thought I would start simple and allow you to elaborate if needed.  If you don't have a GPS watch, just map out your routes and use a regular stopwatch.  You will be able to see where you are each mile and what your avg pace ends up for the run.  Keeping track of this for a period of time will develop a better sense of what different paces feel like.  You can then figure out what paces you can run at particular levels of effort and apply those paces to a race.

David Norris

A keen sense of pace is difficult and for most people must be learned.   It is better to internalize than rely on a group's pace anyway so maybe it is a good thing you are on your own for the time being.

A good way to learn pacing is to go to the TRACK.   Conduct a time trial where you run a single mile at a strong effort.  Note the time for each quarter mile and see if the splits are consistent.  This will tell you a great deal about how well or not you pace yourself.  Armed with this knowledge you will have a starting point.

Many people use GARMIN devices to learn pacing while they are running on the roads.   Really, all you need is a good watch and a measured course.

The park I run at is a hard packed sand, trail.  It's 1 mile marked in 1/4s.  I'm going to try this. Thanks

RunningNut

I've also found that running with a HRM has helped me tremendously to have a better feel for my pace. i'm getting better at knowing what my pace is without checking the watch.

RunningBrief - Free weekly email digest by runners for runners

adavis58

I started running in 2007 at the age of 48.

I am addicted to my Garmin that is how I learned to pace.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

very good advice especially the very last sentence.  just like life in general, sometimes keeping it simple is the best way