Weird Gear questions (Read 62 times)

running metalhead

I am going to run my first trail ultra (Veluwezoomtrail) on June,22

As I am now concerned with the battery life of my Timex GPS Run Trainer (4hours) and my personal safety I have set up a list of devices that I would like to acquire and I about which I need some advice:

1) Compass (analog): What is a good analog compass that I could use while running? I have seen some antique military ones at eBay and also some new ones from the army... but is there any brand that sells good compasses for hiking? What should I look for? My aim is to be able to more or less gauge my bearing WHILE running.

2) Handheld GPS: I already have an eTrex Camo, but I am afraid that is looses the connectivity some times below the trees. Would it be a good idea to put it on the upper back pocket of my camelback? Is there any other type (not too expensive) that would work better under the trees? How much should I care about the eTrex loosing the sattelite fix from time to time? 

3) Military training boots (Belleville TR101 and similar): How good are these for train running? I own a few pairs of Belville desert boots with vibram soles which I love (and outdoor boots are fashionable again here in Holland). I was wondering how these would perform and if anybody (besides the military) actually run ultras in this type of shoes. I am only curious about these and not yet planning to you a pair...

Thanks for suggestions Smile

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)