Puggle (Read 1239 times)

Can you run with a Puggle?

- Anya

It depends.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

are you a runner, walker or jogger?

are you a runner, walker or jogger?

Runner. Complete with " no stopping "  but I'm on the slow side.  

I used to run a Shep mix about 5 or 6 miles. 

But, a puggle is possibly on the horizon. 

- Anya

theyve got some short legs so you may want to build a base, may i suggest C25k?

i took my over sized miniature pinscher out for a 4 mile this summer, he made it, barely.

probably need to be prepared to carry it.

MTA: be sure to keep a DogLog.™

xor

A puggle is pig who does not possess the ability to perform magic.

xhristopher

Can you run with a Puggle?

When I was a kid we had beagles. Nice dogs but they were hard to walk because they stopped to sniff and pee on everything. Perhaps a puggle will only want to stop, sniff, and pee on half as much? You could call it interval training.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I run with a schnoodle.

I've seen someone runnign with a weiner dog.  It was hilarious!!!

But, yea, the stopping and sniffing thing may be a problem.    Although, all dogs do that to a degree.  

hmmmm. 

What is a schnoodle?  I'll have to look that one up.

I really want a big dog again, but , a puggle may be better than no dog at all.   

- Anya

xhristopher

Anya, Look at these eyes. You can't resist them.

xor

Former beagle owner here...

It depends on how much beagle is in the puggle.  See, beagles don't just stop and sniff.  When they detect a "this is interesting" scent, they go investigate.  And it isn't always right next to where you are (which would mean "stop and sniff").  No, a beagle...like a scent hound... will be running next to you one second, and then will make a beeline in a completely different direction in an instant.  Can be hard on the human's shoulder, and the beagle's windpipe when he/she runs out of leash.  You can train this out of beagles.  Some beagles.  Not all beagles.  It's what they do.  In my case, I would take the beagle for really long walks (6-9 miles), but I would never run with her.

Then, there's the other direction.  Pugs have smashy faces.  Some smashy face dogs are fine runners.  Others have breathing issues that make it less fine.

My point?  Hell, I dunno.  Except that a puggle wouldn't be my first choice for a running companion.  But it could work out great.

Anya, Look at these eyes. You can't resist them.

Awe, what a big baby! 

Too cute for words! 

- Anya

xhristopher

It depends on how much beagle is in the puggle.  See, beagles don't just stop and sniff.  When they detect a "this is interesting" scent, they go investigate. 

We had two beagles. I spent a large amount of our walking time unwrapping leashes from trees. Usually we never made it off our property. They were great companions.

It depends on how much beagle is in the puggle.  See, beagles don't just stop and sniff.  When they detect a "this is interesting" scent, they go investigate.  And it isn't always right next to where you are (which would mean "stop and sniff").  No, a beagle...like a scent hound... will be running next to you one second, and then will make a beeline in a completely different direction in an instant.  Can be hard on the human's shoulder, and the beagle's windpipe when he/she runs out of leash.  You can train this out of beagles.  Some beagles.  Not all beagles.  It's what they do.  In my case, I would take the beagle for really long walks (6-9 miles), but I would never run with her.

Then, there's the other direction.  Pugs have smashy faces.  Some smashy face dogs are fine runners.  Others have breathing issues that make it less fine.

My point?  Hell, I dunno.  Except that a puggle wouldn't be my first choice for a running companion.  But it could work out great.

Smashy faces!!!  too funny.  But this is all good information, thanks. This would not be  my first choice either.  I guess, it's just a wait and see.  

My  friend has always loved Pugs.  I've always thought they would be a great side-kick for a real dog. :-)   

- Anya

fast momma!

I don't know much about beagles, but i know that pugs are notoriously unhealthy. I think it has to do with the age of the breed and the tight breeding line. They are very prone to breathing problems, so that might be tough to jog for any distance.  We have a big dog and have the opposite problems. He is 9 and is unable to run with my husband any longer because he is too BIG for himself.

choose wisely

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)