Weight Gain Powder (Read 139 times)

ckerr1999

Can someone recommend a good weight gain powder supplement. Presently I am 6'4" and weight about 163 lbs. Not looking to lose any more weight as I increase my training. Thanks

Huh? Thought this was a running forum.

Most runners could stand to lose a few pounds.

Get off my porch

an amazing likeness

Peanut M&Ms and beer.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Better I Leave

My first question would be your age and whether or not you're a "hard gainer" or not. Is it difficult for you to pack on weight, and more importantly, the right kind of weight. I'm currently in a weight gaining phase and I'm 5'11" and 180lbs. My goal is to gain 10lbs of muscle while still retaining a low body fat percentage. It can be done, but it takes time and a very strict regimen of diet and exercise. I have trained many people and have never recommended a "weight gain" powder. I do recommend supplementation of whey protein isolate and I am currently consuming upwards of ~300g of protein daily.

That being said...What is your goal body weight and body fat % wise? Do you want to gain 10-15lbs of muscle? That's going to take some work both in weightlifting and more importantly diet. What is your diet like right now if I may ask?

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Peanut M&Ms and beer.

Donuts and beer work much better.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

ckerr1999

Right now I am not doing any additional exercise other then running. In terms of my diet, I have a very high metabolism, so its very very difficult for me to gain weight. Since I started running 6 months ago I have gone from an average weight of 167 lbs to an average of 163 lbs. Not a big change considering. However as I continue to increase my weekly mileage I want to avoid losing more weight. Ideally I would like to weight 180 ibs+ but it pobably will never happen. I would be happy maintaining a consisent weight of 170-172 lbs. 172 lbs is the heaviest I have ever weighed.

Better I Leave

Right now I am not doing any additional exercise other then running. In terms of my diet, I have a very high metabolism, so its very very difficult for me to gain weight. Since I started running 6 months ago I have gone from an average weight of 167 lbs to an average of 163 lbs. Not a big change considering. However as I continue to increase my weekly mileage I want to avoid losing more weight. Ideally I would like to weight 180 ibs+ but it pobably will never happen. I would be happy maintaining a consisent weight of 170-172 lbs. 172 lbs is the heaviest I have ever weighed.

May I ask your age? That's very important too. How is your diet at the moment? Good calories? If you have trouble gaining, you're going to have to be very careful as to retain what you currently have...especially if you're "upping" your running miles. Without any further details, I'd recommend a pure whey protein isolate and creatine to supplement your diet and begin incorporating a lifting regimen with some core routines. There is some evidence that core exercises will induce an increase in testosterone. You can start with a routine simply consisting of Bench Press, Deadlift, Squat...and go hard and heavy.

Slo

May I ask your age? That's very important too. How is your diet at the moment? Good calories? If you have trouble gaining, you're going to have to be very careful as to retain what you currently have...especially if you're "upping" your running miles. Without any further details, I'd recommend a pure whey protein isolate and creatine to supplement your diet and begin incorporating a lifting regimen with some core routines. There is some evidence that core exercises will induce an increase in testosterone. You can start with a routine simply consisting of Bench Press, Deadlift, Squat...and go hard and heavy.

I'm not the body building expert but I do have to question your last piece of advice. Especially without knowing his age.

I would think one would want to take the time to strengthen and condition the connective tissues before jumping into heavy weights.

Better I Leave

I'm not the body building expert but I do have to question your last piece of advice. Especially without knowing his age.

I would think one would want to take the time to strengthen and condition the connective tissues before jumping into heavy weights.

I'm offering up general advice. If we were to get into some specifics I would of course tailor the program. I just sent a member here a program and I recommended 2 weeks of extremely light weight to get used to the range of motion and then we would assess where a starting point for weights are.

Better I Leave

And if you're interested, this is the best source I've found so far. Unadulterated, unflavored, surprisingly low in cholesterol as well. Doesn't taste too great, but if one is using it a protein supplementation, who cares, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5lb-Pure-Whey-Protein-Isolate-Bulk-Food-Direct-5-lb-/260888828728?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbe2f9b38

Slo

I'm offering up general advice.

That's a good way to get someone hurt. When I hear go hard and heavy I'm thinking 3-4 reps with failure as my measuring stick.

Better I Leave

That's a good way to get someone hurt. When I hear go hard and heavy I'm thinking 3-4 reps with failure as my measuring stick.

Sorry to have gotten involved. You folks may continue.

ckerr1999

Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. Didn't get a chance to turn my computer on last night. I am 38 years old. Some weight lifting would probably be really good for me, but at the moment I don't have access to a gym, and don't have any weights at home. All the gyms where I live, are over $100 a month, and at the moment this is no room in the family budget for that expense.  Even the weight room at the community centre where I run is $90 a month. But I must say that weight room is probably better equiped then most professional gyms. I did buy a weight gain powder on the way home last night, and tried it for the first time last night. I think the name of it is Mass IV by GNC. GNC is a big nutrition store chain here in Canada. Thanks for the advice.

Slo

Ah - C'mon. At least pick up your toys before you leave the sand box.

I didn't think what I wrote sounded harsh...I'm just being cautious.

You got a guy known for bodybuilding with a muscle bound avatar telling someone:

You can start with a routine simply consisting of Bench Press, Deadlift, Squat...and go hard and heavy.

It's not much different than one of our well know accomplished runners saying: "If you really want to reach your potential you should start your marathon training by doing 50 mpw"...skipping the part about a long base building period.

My approach to strength training is haphazard at best. Maybe you can go hard and heavy from the beginning...I don't know. I suspect not though and honestly was trying to get clarification.