Runner vs Dog (Read 1202 times)

I regularly see coyotes when I'm out and about. They have always run away when they see/hear me coming.

Except for Wyle E Coyote. He always tries to drop an anvil on me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I regularly see coyotes when I'm out and about. They have always run away when they see/hear me coming.

Except for Wyle E Coyote. He always tries to drop an anvil on me.

Big grin  Thanks.  This makes me feel much better. 

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.
      C-R

That would be Wyle E. Coyote Super Genious.

Never buy from Acme.

and what Bonkin says. Coyotes usually run. If they don't you have a major issue (sick/injured/rabbid, youngsters).

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Didn't Spaniel knock over a dog with an orange last time this topic came up?

I forgot about whacking that doberman with an osage orange.  It sure ended the charge though.

With respect to coyotes, I just saw one last week on a trail within a mile of downtown Indianapolis.  What did I do?  I put in a surge and chased that bugger.  He was pretty cocky and I got within 30-40 yards before he realized I was serious and took off. 

Screwing with them aside, coyotes can be dangerous especially in packs.  I cannot find it right now but pretty recently a  jogger/hiker was found killed by coyotes.  I know people who have noticed a coyote while in the woods, then looked around and realized that a pack had surrounded them silently.

They don't scare me but living in the country with 10 acres of grass bordering the backyard where my small children play, I shoot them on sight.

Cougars I would be more worried about as the ones that show up in populated areas are typically hungry young males pushed out of any decent territory by competition -- they are hungry, frustrated and stressed.  Here in the East this is not usually the case, I know we have a few around but they are pretty content to remain hidden and secretive.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

Yes. 

mta: civilization has created a barrier (more or less), between itself and the wild. But for some reason we have welcomed dogs in.  They are wild animals, some of which have been trained, so as to be less likely to attack humans.  Of course, you never know. 

Nader, you might find this program interesting on this point.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Cougars I would be more worried about as the ones that show up in populated areas are typically hungry young males pushed out of any decent territory by competition -- they are hungry, frustrated and stressed. 

I thought they were hungry and frustrated females?

A runner was attacked in front of me during my T-Day trail race. Did not get bit, but the dog was going after him. All he was trying to do was get past the dog on the trail and the dog wasn't letting him. The owner was just standing there, repeating over and over, "he never does this".

As I ran up on the scene (well, gallowwalked actually) I was getting ready to boot the dog when the owner finally grabbed his collar (he was off leash). He immediately settled down and let the runner past.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If a dog charges you, you need to do your best to play alpha.  Rather than run away from the dog (who will catch you), run towards its owner, staring him in the eye and screaming or yelling loudly.  Be as agressive as you can muster.  If the owner keeps standing there and/or doesn't control the dog, do exactly as the man in the story did.  Try to get the owner by the neck and throw all your weight onto him.  In natural settings, alpha runners exert their dominance by grabbing dog owners' necks and pinning them down, so you want to emulate that. Remember to scream at him over and over, "weird, I never do this". 

I am a dog owner, btw.

Nader, you might find this program interesting on this point.

I will certainly check it out.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

I thought they were hungry and frustrated females?

No, those cougars get pushed into the local pubs but are equally dangerous.  Especially if you have money.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

I must add that the strangest thing happened to me last weekend.  I was out running in the middle of nowhere on country roads (the usual), where I've been having a few dog issues lately.  I was running and could see a guy walking toward me with a loose dog running around him, about half a mile away.  Well the most unbelievable thing happened -- I got 200 yards away and this guy reaches into his pocket, pulls out a leash, and restrains his dog!

Some people are completely unbelievable.

Remember to scream at him over and over, "weird, I never do this". 

heh.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Just curious. What sort of wildlife have you folks run across. Usually I consider seeing wildlife it a benefit.

Definitely a benefit.

In order of how often I see them:

"common" birds (jays, crows, sparrows, chickadees, ducks, geese etc.)

deer

turkey vultures

red tail hawks

squirrels

turkeys

guinea hens (escaped)

woodchuck

chimpmunk

rabbit

fox

skunk

snakes (mostly garter)

coyote

bald eagle

turtles (snapping, box)

beaver

flying squirrels

possum

raccoon

ones that i haven't seen but are out there: bears, bobcats, fishers, and lost moose

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Definitely a benefit.

You would feel VERY differently about this if your list included a flying monkey.

Yikes.

Best Present Ever

All I can say is that we are still dealing with the aftermath of my son being bitten through the cheek by our next door neighbor's dog who had 'never done anything like that' according to the neighbors (who were nonetheless appropriately distressed and apologetic).  We and other neighbor's found the dog terrifyingly aggressive prior to the bite and were not nearly as surprised as the dog's owners. 

I used to be a bit shy about asking owners to leash their dogs when I was out and about.  I am now unapologetic even if they think I'm a neurotic pain.