I'm an elderly runner now.... (Read 890 times)

Looking gooooood ;p

....I've had a bad month health-wise - Bad cough, stomach bug, bad cough again - so I went to my doctor to have a chat with her. After me expressing my frustration about not having been able to run at my full capacity since before Christmas, she replied, "You may not feel forty-seven, you may not even look forty-seven, but you are foty-seven and it will take you longer to recover now." ....All this from a little chit of a girl who looked like she should still be in school Shocked ...Any advice from other old-timers....?
    The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
      We're the same age. I know what you're talking about. I'm just coming off a two week bout of the flu myself. I was in bed by 9 for most of last week but, just couldn't shake the darn thing. I'm a lot healthier than most other guys my age but, I do heal slower than I used to. My advice: rest & recuperate but, get back out there as soon as you can.
      JakeKnight

Nothing helpful add except a couple comments: 1) sorry to hear about your health problems; and 2) you are a long, long, long ways from being an "old-timer." Cool

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

the doc is full of hogwash...you can probably smoke most people half your age in a race. Does SHE do any athletic stuff?? Get out and get going...don't be an elderly person cause you aren't. I guess the correct reply...from what I have read on this site is....HTFU Big grin
            You know you're old when you're older than you doctors. When that first happened to me, I about shi_t myself. It's like, OMG I really am old. But remember, 47 is the new 37. So, you're really young. lol

- Anya

mlv

Remember......being in your sixies today, is considered middle age......considering that, your just a youngster !! Big grin And.....remember...."It's your own fault, for letting anyone discourage you !!"...... Smile ML...
              McShane

Damm - I turn 47 this Sunday! I give you the same sentiments as the others - yea - rest, but get back out their ASAP! Keep running, think young, feel young, run young! I am looking forward to more greats runs, more great beers, more challanges, and many comebacks!
                  I notice that I do take a longer time to heal now, but if I give myself the time I need, my resulting recovery seems to be much stronger than others. So I'm sick for 3 weeks instead of 1 or 2, but once I'm done, I'm strong and healthy. If I have an injury, I come back from it really well, while I have friends who just aren't 100% afterwards, even though they are younger. I understand what I just said, not sure anyone else does.
                  You can fly, but that cocoon has to go.

A Saucy Wench

Well... with my last baby I had to deal with my file having the words "ADVANCED MATERNAL AGE" in bold across the top of every screen and when they printed out orders for the ultrasound those same words in bold red letters across the top of the order. And on the hospital forms. Doctors WANT us to think we are old (except for Trent of course). If you THINK you are old, you BECOME old and then you give them more business and make them more money.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Elderly?! Oh, PSHAW! I didn't even START running until I was 48 and I was told today by a newly minted 40-year old whipper-snapper that I should be wearing clothing for women in their late 30's! Of course he does work for me..... Roll eyes Since building a base level of fitness - I'm really taking it slow - I find that I need less recovery, not more. And correcting all of those bio-mechanical problems that showed up as I increased my mileage helped too. Running, or any exercise for that matter (although I am somewhat fond of running - to put it mildly) is the absolute best thing you can do to stay healthy. If I could figure out how to put it in a pill I'd be a cagillionaire like that Gates guy. Yes Seriously though, it's been a tough year weather-wise and I think we're all feeling the effects. Spring, please show up soon!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

mlv

Elderly?! Oh, PSHAW! I didn't even START running until I was 48 and I was told today by a newly minted 40-year old whipper-snapper that I should be wearing clothing for women in their late 30's! Of course he does work for me..... Roll eyes Since building a base level of fitness - I'm really taking it slow - I find that I need less recovery, not more. And correcting all of those bio-mechanical problems that showed up as I increased my mileage helped too. Running, or any exercise for that matter (although I am somewhat fond of running - to put it mildly) is the absolute best thing you can do to stay healthy. If I could figure out how to put it in a pill I'd be a cagillionaire like that Gates guy. Yes Seriously though, it's been a tough year weather-wise and I think we're all feeling the effects. Spring, please show up soon!
                        Ha-Ha Ha....I got you beat !! I did'nt start running until I was 65 !! Woo-Hoo !! My doctor thinks it's great !! Big grin ML

...And I do.

I just turned 47 last week -- (must be catching) Shocked Yes, Yes, YES! 47 IS the new 37. I feel so much better now. Thanks!
                            Yeah. 47 is the new 37. That's the ticket... I turned 47 last month and I can still kick the majority of whippersnapper a** in most races of any distance. I can't wait to get older! Evil grin