Any advice on poor marathon run (Read 1453 times)

dsocha

Ra Due Runner

I run roughly 30 miles a week with one long run and one medium run.  The rest being shorter runs to get the legs used to logging the miles. Cranking up the miles as the race came closer.  My first marathon I also wanted under 4 and got it.  Decided to run with a pace group at the last minute.  Hit mile 23 and started cramping.  The last 3 miles were tough as helllll.  Not enough fluids and energy left but live and learn from the first one.  Pacers gave great advice and I was pleased on my first.  Good luck.

Goals

Log 1500

13.1 under 1:40  1:30

26.2 under 3:45  3:15

A Saucy Wench

. The race calculator here estimates my marathon time to be 3:41:53 (8:29 pace) so aimed for this pace with a goal of finishing in 4 hours. 

Next marathon booked for end of April 2012 so want to improve by then. I can do longer runs now so was planning on doing some 20+ mile runs every two or three of weekends with shorter ones (14/16) in the other weekends in between

Or if I'm going for 4 hours should I have gone slower (9 min/mile) from the start?

Any advice please

a) Well, as you learned the hard way , pace calculators dont apply to everyone across the board.  Pace calculators become accurate for most people at a point in training miles that you havent come close to yet.  As you get more consistent miles under your belt it will come closer but there are many folks that always drop off a little.

b) Dont over-focus on the long run.  Doing 20 milers from now until April is not where the money is.  The money is going to be in what you do the other 6 days of the week.  I'd keep your long run in the 10-14 range until you build something up on the other days. 

c)  Yes.  If the main goal was 4 hours 9 would have been a better place to start and then at 18-20 you can think about picking it up. Start conservative, finish hard

- and I know it is mostly for commuting but unless it was just a change in logging you seemed to really ramp up your bike miles during taper.  

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mommy23

Jason, congrats on your first marathon! First and foremost I'm new to the board and came here looking for similar advice as I just completed my first marathon in a disappointing 4:30. I ran my last half in 1:48 and 10K in 49 which should have put me in a good place to finish the full in 4:00...so I thought.  A full marathon is an entirely different animal! I like you, bonked at about the 18 mile spot and quite similarly to my training runs. Honesty, I thought it was going to be mind over matter for the last 6 but I don't think it's quite that simple. I personally struggled with GI issues as I can't handle GU or Gatorade. Actually, I don't handle starchy carbs very well which is what I loaded with. It's simply a lack of experience and we're both going to get better at this Smile  There are so many factors that can effect our marathon time like temperature, what we ate the day before or even two days before and what we're drinking the day of. I also feel that my pace was too fast as I was following the pace calculators based on my half time. Next time, I'll start out with a more conservative approach and see if I can pick it up in the second half. Slow and steady wins the race...I passed so many people in the first half only for them to kick my butt later! So, YES I suggest 9mm and then see how it goes...maybe even 9:15 mm in the first few miles.

I run 3-4 days a week with my mileage peaking at 35 per week. I completed one 20 miler and one 22 miler and ran a couple of half marathons this year in addition to a handful of shorter races. I cross train HARD on the bike. My cycling consists of approximately 80-100 miles per week on the roads. As I have a history of stress fractures, cycling is going to have to remain a way of getting additional endurance under my belt as well as building leg strength. I am however, reconsidering adding more running miles as some of the posters have indicated in this thread and perhaps even change my training to incorporate some 22-26 mile long runs.

I just wanted to share my experience with you as your frustration and training history seems a little similar to mine. My next marathon is in May 2012. Good luck with your training and congrats again!

Thanks to everyone for their advice and sharing their experiences, I have plenty to think about. Interestingly, the thing everyone seems to be saying is to increase my mileage as the primary part of the future plan, so that is what I will do.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

perhaps even change my training to incorporate some 22-26 mile long runs.

Stop at 22. Add sloooooow miles during the week. 4 hour marathon.Do more 12+ minute mile pace runs. Before the eye rolling  and shouting starts. It worked for me.I  BQ'ed.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I am however, reconsidering adding more running miles as some of the posters have indicated in this thread and perhaps even change my training to incorporate some 22-26 mile long runs.

Yeah, I was going to say, I don't think anyone here recommended doing 26 mile training runs.  Nobby I think, would advise strongly against it.  What runnerclay said.

mommy23

Stop at 22. Add sloooooow miles during the week. 4 hour marathon.Do more 12+ minute mile pace runs. Before the eye rolling  and shouting starts. It worked for me.I  BQ'ed.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Bottom line...add miles.

A Saucy Wench

Yeah, I was going to say, I don't think anyone here recommended doing 26 mile training runs.  Nobby I think, would advise strongly against it.  What runnerclay said.

I'd even say 20 is enough.  But like I said, no need for the mega longs until you are in the next training cycle.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I'd even say 20 is enough.  But like I said, no need for the mega longs until you are in the next training cycle.

+1.Over 20 only helps your ego.Go slow  and remember the marathon starts at 20. Runners may pass you at 13.1 but you will pass them before26.2.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

uncontrollable

Agree 20+ helps mostly ego.  Baseline consistent mileage is key.  Ran 30 mpw for many years ... been running 50 mpw for 1.5 years & notice major differences in recovery, stamina, speed, & mental edge.  Rest is another important ingredient to progress & not always given due respect.

peace