Garmin Forerunner 10 reviews (Read 313 times)

Matt Lippencott

Hello everyone! I'm interested in buying a garmin watch and not sure which ones are best? I thought the forerunner 10 looked good. Any thoughts? Thank you

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I like my Garmin 10. It's enough for me as a half marathoner, but won't suit many marathoners who require a longer battery. It depends what you want for a watch.

For reviews, go read www.dcrainmaker.com. His reviews are very good and will tell you everything you might want to know.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

GinnyinPA

I have the FR10, but asked for the FR 15 when it came out because it has much longer battery life. Since I wanted to run marathons, that was important to me.  It has the same simplicity and the basic functions of the FR 10, but it also has the option of HR monitor and footpod and does automatic step counting.

Hi Matt,

Both of the above posts are spot on.  I will also add this option:   If you think you might want a watch with additional features (but don't want to spend a lot), you can also go to Ebay for refurbished watches.   I bought a Forerunner 610 (refurb) in February for about the same price as a new FR10.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I run marathons with FR10 and never had any issues with battery life.. but I finish in 3:20 - 3:30 so YMMV.

It's a simple no-frills GPS watch that does the bare minimum and nothing else.

chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

CanadianMeg has really good advice here. Besides his specific model reviews DC Rainmaker also has specific recommendations. Perhaps this will help narrow your field a bit: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/winter-gadget-recommendations.html.

5k: -- 26:12 (12/17/2016)

10k: 58:36 (6/14/2016)

Half: 2:08:23 (7/4/2015)

Longest: 15.03 (5/31/2014)

Half Marathon Bucket List Goals: 15 of 50 states completed / 2 of 7 Continents completed.

kcam

This is from an interesting web page by a runner who focuses exclusively on GPS accuracy of these devices.  Interestingly the older 205/305 watches score very high on his accuracy list, something I've long suspected.  I still have a 205 and use it over my 220 for certain things.

"Most GPS watches are accurate enough for casual running. However, the M400, Fenix2, and 10 have such serious problems that I would not recommend them even for casual usage."

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy

I had a FR 10 for a few weeks. The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't have a way to display "current lap" time. This is something I use for a small percent of my workouts but I still missed it enough that I eventually sold the FR 10 to a buddy (who still uses it) and got a 210, which I used for almost 2 years before the band broke and then I bought a 220.

In terms of accuracy, I run with my friend who still has the FR 10 all the time and his watch always reads pretty much the same distance as mine for every run. Many of our runs are over courses of known distance anyway, and he's run plenty of  races including half marathons and marathons with it to boot. At the end of a marathon his watch is just as far off as everyone else's GPS. The two marathons he has run with his FR 10 measured 26.34 and 26.42 miles. Just like every other GPS watch on the planet.

IMO the FR 10 is EASILY accurate enough for casual usage and I would say is a good watch for 95% of runners.

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've had my Forerunner 10 for a couple of weeks now and it works fine.  The distance it shows on my regular route seems spot on.  I like it because it's so much smaller than my old one!  And I can wear it as a regular watch if I want to.  I do miss seeing my pace, though.

I've had my Forerunner 10 for a couple of weeks now and it works fine.  The distance it shows on my regular route seems spot on.  I like it because it's so much smaller than my old one!  And I can wear it as a regular watch if I want to.  I do miss seeing my pace, though.

Forerunner 10 is supposed to have a current pace and average pace setting so you ought to be able to set that..

Champions are made when no one is watching

GinnyinPA

FR 10 and FR15 do have segment pace.  It's under Run Options, Data Fields.

chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

This is from an interesting web page by a runner who focuses exclusively on GPS accuracy of these devices.  Interestingly the older 205/305 watches score very high on his accuracy list, something I've long suspected.  I still have a 205 and use it over my 220 for certain things.

"Most GPS watches are accurate enough for casual running. However, the M400, Fenix2, and 10 have such serious problems that I would not recommend them even for casual usage."

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy

Started using my FR205 in Sep. 2010 and I'm still regularly using it. Other than a dying "beeper" have had no issues with it  Perhaps the accuracy of the 205/305 series is with the size of the antennae on the watch (which tends to make it huge by today's standards). Once it gets a lock it doesn't tend to lose it outside of long tunnels. Of course, YMMV.

5k: -- 26:12 (12/17/2016)

10k: 58:36 (6/14/2016)

Half: 2:08:23 (7/4/2015)

Longest: 15.03 (5/31/2014)

Half Marathon Bucket List Goals: 15 of 50 states completed / 2 of 7 Continents completed.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

My FR10 is 2 years old and never had a problem.  I've seen it on sale for $90.  Won't help you indoors, though.  You might look at activity trackers for inside.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Correction, the band popped off and it doesn't seem to want to snap back into the pins.  Would a new band work, or has it outlived its life expectancy?

The FR10 works very well to me. Cheap and pratical