The Future of RunningAHEAD (Read 8024 times)

eric :)

Dear all,
    For the past six years, RunningAHEAD has been an enjoyable and rewarding hobby.  I have worked on it during week nights and weekends.  Sometimes it has cut into my sleep time, but I haven't minded one bit.  I've endeavored to create the best running log, but my work is not yet complete.  There is still a long list of features that I can't wait to work on.

Right now, my life is going through changes.  I lost my job a few weeks ago, and I will be getting married in two months.  After the wedding, I won't be able to work full time and devote the same attention to RA as I do now.  I considered various options and decided to take a chance and make RA my job.  If I can create all of this in my spare time, imagine what I can do on a full time basis.

Time has always been the limiting factor.  Some projects are so complex that I was reluctant to work on them on a part time basis.  I know exactly how the integrated training plan will work but it will easily take half a year to create by working nights and weekends.  With RA as my full time job, new features will become available more frequently.  I will finally have the time to research and experiment on ways to analyze and display your data and perhaps help you improve your training.

This is a big step for me as I am not a business man.  There are many uncertainties, the most pressing of which is how to produce an income.  I stated from the beginning that the training log will always be free, and I am keeping my promise.  The remaining options are ads and value added services.  I have several ideas, but they will take time to develop.  Until these ideas become reality and generate revenue, I will need to put up ads.

The ads will go up in the coming days.  I will make every attempt to balance the needs of the site with those of the users.  No one likes ads but they are a necessary evil.  I kept RA free of ads and membership fees for all these years because I made a decent living as a software engineer at a Fortune 500 company.  With donations paying for much of the cost of operating a website, I was happy to contribute my time and effort to this site.

I owe a debt of gratitude to all my supporters, whose donations kept RA running for everyone to use.  Your generosity is much appreciated and will not be forgotten.  As a token of my appreciation, you will have the option to delay deployment of the ads.  I will provide more details at a later time.  As always, please let me know of any comments or concerns you may have.

Sincerely,
    eric Smile

Thank you everyone for your words of support.  I was quite nervous about how the announcement will be received.  This has not been an easy decision but I firmly believe it is in the best interest of the website and its users.  In all the years I've worked on RA, I hope that I have shown to not be motivated by money.  Yes, it's true that money changes everything, but I am not expecting riches, just enough to get by and make a living out of something I love.

I removed the donation buttons because it is no longer appropriate to ask for your financial support.  For everyone that found the link and donated, thank you!  Like I said before, there will be no membership fees associated with using the training log.  It is unconscionable that some sites require you to pay in order to download your own data.  I could charge a subscription fee if you prefer, but it will only remove ads.  We do need to establish what is a fair amount.

I always believed that a business can succeed by doing what is right.   I will never forget that you are the ones that made RA what it is today.  We can form a symbiotic relationship where everyone will benefit from this change.  Thank you again for your unwavering support!

eric Smile

Dave

You've got my support either way.

Bring on the ads.  I'll even click on them.

All the best to you during this time of transition.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ads aren't really that much of an evil! Not as much as people make them out to be!

But perhaps a membership option to be ad free (and maybe some other benefits?) :P

Either way, as said previously, I support the decision Smile

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

MrH

Eric,

Do what you need to do to make this viable for you, for sure.

One model you might consider for ideas is chess.com, which has ads for non-subscribers and then tiered pricing for others. http://www.chess.com/membership.html

And it's about time I made another modest donation.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Smile Nothing but joy and support for you Eric.  Looking forward to the future!!!!

CaliforniaGirl

Thank you for all you do - my exercise & training has definitely improved because of my time here.  You have my support as well.  I wish you much success in the months and years to come!  Smile

The mind is everything. What you think you become. ~Buddha

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What he said. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I love what you've done with RA part time; can't wait to see what's coming!

MrH

I think your first enhancement is to make the donate button more prominent. Big grin

http://www.runningahead.com/donate

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Ringmaster

Your dedication to the site has been a wonder to watch, and we've all benefited from it, for which we owe you a debt of gratitude--and maybe more!

Of course you should do whatever it takes to keep RA viable, though again I find it refreshing that you've been so open and and honest and are trying to make it as painless as possible for your users, who are robbing you of your sleep!

Many happy wishes on your upcoming wedding. May you and your lucky bride be blessed with many happy years together.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Go Pre!

This site rocks. I will remain a user even with ads o' plenty. Keep up the great work and I look forward to your venture as a full time RA Madman!

Ojo

Me too!

Thank you for all your hard work.  Wishing you much success during this time of change -- and much happiness with your beautiful bride-to-be! 

Sara

MM #2929

GKA

GKA

Thank you Eric for all that you have done so far for us.  Good luck, sunita

"Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."- B. Banzai

+1

It sounds like the universe is telling you to do this. Good luck in your new adventure.

Melo

Just throwing my support into the ring.  The log and the community are worth well more than a lot of other services I pay for.  I am sure you have thought through all the options, however, one suggestion I might toss out is to give the donate button a reoccurring option.  Despite you keeping the log free, a number of us might be more than willing to set up a reoccurring monthly donation.  We can still pay a fee for it that way even if you are not charging it.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.