The Future of RunningAHEAD (Read 8024 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cool.  There is a new option under Options (top/right corner) to subscribe to RA.

http://www.runningahead.com/options/subscription

It looks like you can pay money to subscribe and the ads go away for a period.  Cool!

Julia1971

I gotta ask again.  Honest question.

If they are not loud and intrusive, why are ads "insulting"?

I can't answer for those posters, however, I think there are a lot of ads out there that are offensive to women.  The American Apparel ads come to mind.  I personally wouldn't stop frequenting a site that had them (I read dcist.com every day and they carry their ads), but I do cringe when I see them.

L Train

Perfect and done. 

And FWIW, for a tool and site I use every day, I was seriously undercharged.  I like that I can still donate above the subscription price. 

Good luck eric. 

MTA: One question - If this is annual subscription, will I be notified when it's time for me to pay again, or should I be keeping track?

Done here as well and was happy to donate too. Thanks for keeping that option and for everything you do to make this a great site.

xhristopher

Perfect and done. 

And FWIW, for a tool and site I use every day, I was seriously undercharged.  I like that I can still donate above the subscription price. 

Good luck eric. 

+X

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I can't imagine Eric ever putting obnoxious ads on the site; nonetheless, the prospect of having something new intruding into a place you have grown to love can be a little scary.  I personally would lean toward the subscription option because I like to see just what I want to see and nothing else on a page (yeah, good luck with that on the web), and that's one of the big reasons I love this place.  In my case, I'm guessing a modest subscription fee would mean a good deal more revenue for RA Inc. than click-throughs.

Side note:  I do really wish people would differentiate between "ads" and "adds". Smile

xor

I can't answer for those posters, however, I think there are a lot of ads out there that are offensive to women.  The American Apparel ads come to mind.  I personally wouldn't stop frequenting a site that had them (I read dcist.com every day and they carry their ads), but I do cringe when I see them.

Thanks, that's helpful.

I can't imagine Eric ever putting obnoxious ads on the site; nonetheless, the prospect of having something new intruding into a place you have grown to love can be a little scary.  I personally would lean toward the subscription option because I like to see just what I want to see and nothing else on a page (yeah, good luck with that on the web), and that's one of the big reasons I love this place.  In my case, I'm guessing a modest subscription fee would mean a good deal more revenue for RA Inc. than click-throughs.

Side note:  I do really wish people would differentiate between "ads" and "adds". Smile

Well, Eric has taken "modest" to whole new levels...he's only charging $10/year Surprised

That's less than 85 cents per month!

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, Eric has taken "modest" to whole new levels...he's only charging $10/year Surprised

No kidding! Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

Cool.  There is a new option under Options (top/right corner) to subscribe to RA.

http://www.runningahead.com/options/subscription

It looks like you can pay money to subscribe and the ads go away for a period.  Cool!

And prorated too. Thanks Eric!

MTA: I'll probably turn on the ads from time to time just to see what they are. And if it's stuff I can't live without. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

thank goodness.  A fee keeps most of the weirdo lurkers out, and I hate this new flashy advertising.  Will be subscribing too. 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

worth more than a RunnersWorld subscription for sure! Even with starting with a multi-year subscription, I'm adding a renewal to my Google calendar so I don't forget the annual donation. I wonder if I can leave the remaining unused subscription time to someone in my will...LOL

bob e v
                          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Imminent Catastrophe

thank goodness.  A fee keeps most of the weirdo lurkers out...

Hey, I'm still here.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

FINALLY got around to donating.  That felt good, and it was long-overdue.

Thanks, Eric!!!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Non ducor, duco.

I clicked for the ads because I love Eric but I was hoping for more ads like:

Meet Sexy Oklahoma Singles! (Guaranteed to have teeth)

or even

Get  Kim Kardashian Boobz OVERNIGHT!