What to drink on long runs... (Read 1926 times)

Darla1

I loved the post about how much to drink on long runs...got a bit off of topic, but still enjoyed it and got lots of good information. I'm looking at buying something or some kind of water belt, carrying the bottles just is not working for me. I'm a HUGE sweater and I really do need to drink on my longer runs. My question is what to put in the bottles. I've never even thought of anything besides water. Do I need to think about Gatorade or other things? Thanks again for all of the great knowledge you all share! Darla
      I just take water with me. Gatorade gives me stomach cramps because of all the sugar. If you do put something else in there, just make sure to test it before you take it on a long run. A long run is not a good time to try something new. Fuel Belts are great, they're what I use. You can take up to 32 oz. of water and you can take pack in some gels or some other type of food.
      HermosaBoy

Scotch? Wink For me, I usually just drink water.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

grateful runner

Rolling Rock if available. Otherwise, water... "No calories unless it has benefits."
          2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just take water with me. Gatorade gives me stomach cramps because of all the sugar. If you do put something else in there, just make sure to test it before you take it on a long run. A long run is not a good time to try something new.
            Ditto. If you want electrolytes without added sugar/calories there are some sugar-free sports drinks, now. Powerade and Gatorade both make them. Or take S-Caps or Endurolytes capsules. I am a fan of the Amphipod Full-Tilt belt. I have a Camelbak, but the bladder and tubing is a PITA to clean. The Amphipod bottles can be tossed in the dishwasher and are easy to fill, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I think water is great during the run. I personally love using my camelbak for runs over 2 hours. It makes it super easy to drink, I can carry up to 100oz of water, plus it makes carrying extra food and clothing super easy (that's important with fast approaching summer thunderstorms!) On real long runs/rides (4 hours plus) I like to carry a 4x1 drink like accelerade with me in a 16oz bottle in addition to water.
                When running more than 90 min I always carry a drink belt. 3 bottles with water and one with Isostar. Starting at min 50 I take a gulp of Isostar and then water, at 60 just water, at 70 isostar and water.. and when the isostar is over, just water... A way like any other to keep myself busy, I guess Smile

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

You'll need more than just water on longer summer runs, I generally alternate between water and sports drink on mine. Too much sports drink makes me sick to my stomach, not enough and I get muscle cramps. If you get to the point where you are running 15 miles or more it will not be practical to carry fluids, I've used as much as a gallon on 20 plus mile long runs. Instead, try stashing them in sealed bottles along your route the night before instead of weighing yourself down. Tom
                    ... I'm looking at buying something or some kind of water belt, carrying the bottles just is not working for me... My question is what to put in the bottles. I've never even thought of anything besides water. Do I need to think about Gatorade or other things?
                    I like my Amphipod belt (adjustable) with the little 8 oz bottles. The weight can be distributed so that it doesn't bounce. For training runs, many of us just use water... with some kind of electrolyte replacement for hot weather or very long runs. I just carry a few Endurolyte capsules (no carbs, just electrolytes.) I personally don't use Gatorade, etc, in training runs because that stuff has sugar/calories and I'm not trying to train myself to consume sugar - I'm trying to train the body to run off of its stored fuel reserves. If you do decide to use a sport drink with sugars/calories remember: 1) if you ingest sugars etc in the first 40 minutes or so of your run, that will inhibit your fat metabolism from starting up properly. So it's best not to do it. On a training run you won't get the best training effect, and in a long race you'll probably use up stored glycogen faster. Note that many people who carry some Gatorade use it in diluted form. Anywhere from equal parts water (1:1) to 2:1 or 3:1. Be sure to test it first to be sure anything you race with agrees with you. If you use aid station drinks, know what they are going to be and test to see how much water you need to slug down with them...
                    JoeShort

I use the 4 bottle Fuel Belt, usually fill 2 with water and 2 with sports drink for the longer runs. Accelerade works for me, but if I'm training for a specific race I'll find out what drink they'll be using (i.e. Gatorade Endurance) and use that to make sure I can stomach it.
                      Darla1

Wow, I have a lot to learn. Just ran my first half and registered for a a full in October. Thought you'd just lace up and go! Not so much the case as you increase those mileages is it! Thank you all so much for the great advice. Now I need to research the drinks you talked about and their intend outcomes. Only been a water girl so far! This running stuff gets pretty addictive. My hubby is already rumbling about all of the time and money. Girl gotta have cute clothes, new running shoes (often) diGarmin, Ipod, now fuel belt. He'll just die.
                        Carps10

Wow, I have a lot to learn. Just ran my first half and registered for a a full in October. Thought you'd just lace up and go! Not so much the case as you increase those mileages is it! Thank you all so much for the great advice. Now I need to research the drinks you talked about and their intend outcomes. Only been a water girl so far! This running stuff gets pretty addictive. My hubby is already rumbling about all of the time and money. Girl gotta have cute clothes, new running shoes (often) diGarmin, Ipod, now fuel belt. He'll just die.
                          actually out of the things you listed the only necessity is shoes. also, did you just refer to yourself in the third person? finally, cut your husband a break and don't buy stupid stuff.
                            evaporated water. very light.
                              I usually use a maltodextrin-based sports drink - weaker on short runs (flavored water), stronger for longer or more intense runs. You need to deal with 3 issues - hydration, electrolytes, energy (calories) - in that order of priority. Some people choose to just use water and get the other needs from food, capsules, or gels. Some people prefer to use a sports drink that provides a little of everything and supplement specifically for electrolytes or energy as needed. '"Needed" depends on you, your training, length of run, intensity, temperatures, and probably a few other variables. I've found I "need" less as I've been running for longer (like 5 yr vs 2 yr).
                              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                              Darla1

Thanks for all of the information! I appreciate it!