I have a good answer for that one.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Heh.

Um... er...

I have a good answer for that one.

GIVE IT BACK ROBERT! 

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

(I'm still trying to decide about ye olde crossfit.  It has a similar MO and is the current big thing... but it is really REALLY big.  Crossfit competitions!  Nationals!  Holy crap!)

My problem with crossfit is that wiped me out but didn't seem to build total strength/endurance as much as other methods.  When I was lifting a lot I could *almost* bench press 300lbs, but with crossfit I started at 225 and didn't really get above that.  My running ability didn't change much either.

What I did notice was that recovery times when cross training went down - I could cram a lot of different workouts into a short time without feeling as tired as when I started 3 months earlier (although 3 months may not be a sufficient test).  I'd guess my triathalon times would have improved if I was a triathlete.

xor

Yeah that's the thing about crossfit.  "Your sport is our warmup".  Fine.

But there's this thing called 'specificity of training'.  I have no doubt that crossfit can do wonderful things for me, and it makes sense to me that it could improve my recovery time because that's kind of holistic.

But I'll stick to running to make me a better runner, and lifting to help me look better naked and yoga to help me be better at... ah never mind that.

(I could make some serious money right now teaching crossfit if I was into it, though.)

((taking bets on what the next The Big Thing will be.  My hope is something related to fishing.))

So thanks for the replies everyone. Does anyone have a recommendation on a weight to start with? I have one of those play it again sports in my area and I am going to head down this weekend. Like I said I am 130 lb male, experienced with body weight exercises etc.. Also what would be a good DVD to start with. I honestly have no idea how to do anything with Kettlebells.

Thanks

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
            C-R

So thanks for the replies everyone. Does anyone have a recommendation on a weight to start with? I have one of those play it again sports in my area and I am going to head down this weekend. Like I said I am 130 lb male, experienced with body weight exercises etc.. Also what would be a good DVD to start with. I honestly have no idea how to do anything with Kettlebells.

Thanks

35 lb kettle bell and a good video (with a very cheesy title) "Enter the Kettle Bell". I think there is a companion web site but not sure.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Start with a small one (15-20 pounds, or 1/2 pood) and see how you like it.  You can always buy more later.

jeffdonahue

I did my first ever boot camp this morning and a good amount of it was with kettle bells.  I thought the workout was great - my core is killing me right now.  The only problem I had with them was sweat.  I sweat a lot and when you are swinging those things around, I had a few instances wehre I really thought it was going to slip out of my hands.
                  C-R

I sweat a lot and when you are swinging those things around, I had a few instances wehre I really thought it was going to slip out of my hands.

sports gloves - wal-mart has them for $5

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Well,

I after some extensive research I opted not to go with the kettlebells. Unless I can find a trainer in my area it just doesn't seem to be worth it.

I opted for a gym membership instead.

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?