500 gigs (Read 677 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What external 500 gig drive should I get to back up my computers?
    Scout7

One that works.

Dave

If it's a Mac, spend the extra couple of bucks and get one that uses the firewire interface.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Scout- They all work when you buy them. Some work a year later. And some cost less. And some are quieter. Which one from among them that work is the one for me? And oh yeah. FW it is.
          Scout7

You need to read more industry stuff. Sometimes you get a brick. And I mean a real brick. Kid bought one from Best Buy, brought it home, and discovered that instead of a HDD, he had a brick. Some joker in Malaysia or China swapped it out, apparently. Tom's Hardware Guide is usually a good site to check.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, I know somebody who bought a PS from ebay. Opened the box and it was a phone book.
              UpNorth

The best advice is to get one locally so if it is too noisy, or just plain doesn't work, you can easily take it back. Generally if the drive functions well for a week it'll probably work well for years.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks. Brand?
                  Scout7

Seagate is usually pretty solid.

Dave

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MS3S7500GB16/ This one isn't inexpensive but it has every available interface (ESATA, USB2, FW400/800), its nice and quiet, and it has a built in hub for USB and firewire. I own it and like it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

iomega has one like that too, made to look like the Mac Mini. Theirs does not get great reviews tho.

All business

Many folks i know like hard drives by LaCie. I got my dad one for Christmas. There's some reviews and good info on CNET. For Mac or PC.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Prophet!

i've had Maxtor OneTouch ... so far they have been great. I've taken them out in the field and they worked great.
                              If I had the money (well willingness to spend the money), I would probably look at getting a Drobo (USB 2.0 only now... and expensive... $500 without any drives) or a nice NAS-Raid5 setup with multiple hard drives. I'd also look at using online backup solutions. I've used Maxtor One Touch II 300GB (USB 2.0 and Firewire 400) and 2 Max One Touch III 1.5GB (USB2.0 and Firewire400/800). I did not have any problems with the One Touch Ii, but the first One Touch III I had would fail when I formated it... and the second one... messed up the filesystem table when the power sagged.... I thought I had it plugged in a backed up UPS socket, but it was just surge protected. From my experience, I prefer Firewire devices. Also... screw jumbo disks.... unless you know of a good recovery tool.

Vim

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I just bought a 500 gig Simpletech drive from Circuit City for all of $130 on sale. Wheee. did