2012 HoeKers Half Marathon (Read 243 times)

Over the Christmas holidays, we visited my in laws in Daytona Beach, Florida (yes, life is rough when you have Christmas in Florida on the beach....).

I've been training (actually, "I've been motivating") my Father in Law as it relates to running for the past year and a half, and in early December, I convinced him to run a half marathon before the end of the year.  We decided to call it the "HoeKers Half Marathon" (it includes part of both of our last names, and sounds funny....)

So, on 12/28, we ran the HoeKers Half Marathon.  He ran the first 2 miles by himself.  My wife joined in at Mile 2.  My 9 year old joined in 7.  I joined in on mile 8.  My oldest son was the sag wagon riding along to pick up whoever wanted to quit (other than my father in law).  The 4 of us ran until his Garmin read 13.1 miles (yes, I know it's not an official half marthon distance without the proper tools to make it a half marathon).

His finishing time was 2:28:48.

Maybe it'll be an annual event.

Regardless, this isn't necessarily a "Look What I Can Do".  It's more of a "Look What He Can Do" post.  He logs his stuff here on RunningAhead, but doesn't post on here (and likely doesn't read any posts).

But, this 'old man' (65 +/- years old) began running in the summer of 2011, and was able to run 400 miles in 2012 and finish his 1st half marathon in a decent time.

My 9 year old got to run 6 miles with his grandpa! (and he hasn't run much other than on the playground)

My wife (who doesn't run more than 4 miles very often) ran 11 miles with him!

That was my favorite half marathon in 2012.

Only 1 finisher this year.

I was the race director.

Cheers,
    Brian Kers____

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

WTG!!!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Walk-Jogger

Nice! I look forward to being able to run like that with my kids and grand-kids when I'm 65!

Retired &  Loving It

Iam Bre

Maybe the SimanTalleys will join you next year! :-). I believe your father-in-law is now passing his knowledge on to my Dad!

Maybe the SimanTalleys will join you next year! :-). I believe your father-in-law is now passing his knowledge on to my Dad!

That's awesome!  I've heard that he's been running with "D.Siman___" for a couple months.  It's great to see these guys get out and do what they never believed they could do.  BTW, I've heard a lot of great things about your dad and mom.  Look forward to the 'race' next year, and hope we can meet you then!  Cheers,
            Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

My son got me into running a few years back- I will be 62 next month.

Congrats to your Dad- it can be very rewarding!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hill Slug

What a great thing to do as a family.   I hope it is the first of many Hoekers Runs!

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light