Surprise success run! (Read 93 times)

Today, I went on a 5 miler which I had planned on doing on the quicker side of my usual pace. I went out and found myself very fatigued about a mile in. I was highly winded, felt like I was running through mud, and all the similar feelings.

This was not exactly a confidence booster, as I have my first race of the season this Saturday and yesterday's 10 miler turned into 8 on account of not feeling too great. I started thinking maybe my training was injuring me, or the temperature was affecting me strongly (it's finally spring in New England!). Just generally negative thoughts.

So the miles went by and I was trying pretty hard for what felt like maybe a 7 minute pace, when my goal was 6:25/mi or so. I got back expecting the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised with my pace of 6:09/mile. It kind of scared me to know my pace sensor is still out of whack, but I can't say I wasn't relieved.

Anyway, that is my success for the day! The race is the Umass Amherst Dash and Dine. The winner of the past 3 years has graduated and I would love a shot at it. I have not won many races, historically, so it may be a high bet, but days like today prove I must have confidence in myself!

Thanks for reading,

Stephen

bap

Today, I went on a 5 miler which I had planned on doing on the quicker side of my usual pace. I went out and found myself very fatigued about a mile in. I was highly winded, felt like I was running through mud, and all the similar feelings.

This was not exactly a confidence booster, as I have my first race of the season this Saturday and yesterday's 10 miler turned into 8 on account of not feeling too great. I started thinking maybe my training was injuring me, or the temperature was affecting me strongly (it's finally spring in New England!). Just generally negative thoughts.

So the miles went by and I was trying pretty hard for what felt like maybe a 7 minute pace, when my goal was 6:25/mi or so. I got back expecting the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised with my pace of 6:09/mile. It kind of scared me to know my pace sensor is still out of whack, but I can't say I wasn't relieved.

Anyway, that is my success for the day! The race is the Umass Amherst Dash and Dine. The winner of the past 3 years has graduated and I would love a shot at it. I have not won many races, historically, so it may be a high bet, but days like today prove I must have confidence in myself!

Thanks for reading,

Stephen

Great training run. Good luck!

Certified Running Coach
      Crocked since 2013