camel backs (Read 1857 times)

Needs more cowbell!

I don't think I would like a backpack model...I'm a sweaty gal. The waist-pack type is perfect...not too big, doesn't make me overheat. k

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

Koruja

My only big issue I've had (and it's silly, but hey), is that I have to figure out a way to bring sports drink for longer runs. So far, I've used a water bottle and tucked it under the flap on my waist CB. No issues with it falling out, either, I was surprised. Of course, I checked it every 20 seconds.....I'm weird like that. Anyway, big thumbs up from me on hydration systems.
      Well, once a year when a go on my heathen vacation in the desert I pack two bladders in my camelback. One is filled with water and the other with wine. I'm sure the same concept could work with a sports drink instead. You can buy additional bladders of almost any size and fit them side by side and pull the straws out the same opening. Just a suggestion Wink
      Koruja

Yeah, but I want the water, too. It's only really an issue on my longer runs for mary training. I'm looking into using the little bottles like on a Fuel Belt (you can get 'em separate), or taking another bladder along for sports drink.
        Ah, well, you already thought of that. Always late to the party I am...
        Scout7

CPT Curmudgeon

Or if they came in ninja black with night-vision goggles. That'd be good, too.
          Mine came in camo, and I had NVG's and body armor........
            I have a CamelBak Blowfish (don't know if they make them anymore). It is a lot smaller than the mule, but still holds 100 oz bladder. I only use it on runs > 5 miles, and only fill it with 5oz per mile planned. So if I run 10 miles, I fill it with 50 oz (50/50 water/gatorade). I snug it up tight and make sure to tuck in all the straps and I don't even know it is there, but sure glad it is around 4 miles when I start getting cotton mouth. I also like it for carrying gu, cell phone and mp3 player (sometimes I don't want the music, and other times I do). I don't plan on using it during the race(s) since everything should be provided. Best $80 I ever spent (if it wasn't for the gift card, probably wouldn't have splurged).

Needs more cowbell!

I wore mine for my HM and was really glad I had it. I cruised through the water stations that typically had a mob of people. I'm not good at drinking from a cup and I don't like to walk. If I were running a full marathon I would probably give myself walk breaks, but at this point I find that if I walk I have a REALLY hard time getting moving, again. k

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

Wasatch Speedgoat

I use a Camelback MULE and an Ultimate Direction Diablo. The Mule is great when I am going to be out longer than 6 hours without aid...I just fill the bladder up with my fuel and go. For the record, I use Hammer Nutrition's Sustained Energy. What I like about the Diablo is that it has a couple of pouches on the front to carry a camera or gels or whatever. It also has a couple of places to put gel flasks...but the best part of the Diablo is the bottle that is attached to the rear bottom. If i run out of fuel or want something different i can pull out that bottle and dip it in a stream or fill it at an aid station. If i am in a race where the aid stations are close, I'll just carry a hand bottle. Steve
                Life is short, play hard!
                  Yeah, but I want the water, too. It's only really an issue on my longer runs for mary training. I'm looking into using the little bottles like on a Fuel Belt (you can get 'em separate), or taking another bladder along for sports drink.
                  I was just reading through some old threads to get ideas for my water bottle hunt and found this nifty water bottle which reminded me of this post... http://www.amazon.com/SWIGZ-Balance-Hydration-Sports-Bottle/dp/B000OZQVVS/ref=sr_1_17/105-9493415-5526043?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1190388298&sr=1-17
                    I have a Camelbak Charm, and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't use anything else for my longer runs. I thought having something on my back would be awful, but I barely notice it. The bladder flattens out nicely inside the pack. It's very lightweight. Love it!

Blaine Moore (MM#2867)

Before my 50k, I was at a North Face outlet and they were having a huge sale. I got a $70 NF branded model for $17, so I figured that I would give it a try. I also got a hand held water bottle a week or so later, and that was what I wound up using during my race and have been using on my training runs (which have only been around 12 miles). I did use the backpack once, and I liked it, and will definitely be using it again. I can't see using it at a road marathon at all, though, but will definitly use it on a longer training run where I won't be able to refill my water bottle.

Run to Win
                      24 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Needs more cowbell!

I was just reading through some old threads to get ideas for my water bottle hunt and found this nifty water bottle which reminded me of this post... http://www.amazon.com/SWIGZ-Balance-Hydration-Sports-Bottle/dp/B000OZQVVS/ref=sr_1_17/105-9493415-5526043?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1190388298&sr=1-17
                        That's pretty ingenious. I wonder how easy it would be to clean, though...? k

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

Kill

I wonder how easy it would be to clean, though...?
                          I was wondering the same thing...found this:
                          top-rack dishwasher safe
                          Sounds easy to me.

Passion is a rather frightening thing because if you have passion you don't know where it will take you.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Awesome

Before my 50k, I was at a North Face outlet and they were having a huge sale. I got a $70 NF branded model for $17, so I figured that I would give it a try. I also got a hand held water bottle a week or so later, and that was what I wound up using during my race and have been using on my training runs (which have only been around 12 miles). I did use the backpack once, and I liked it, and will definitely be using it again. I can't see using it at a road marathon at all, though, but will definitly use it on a longer training run where I won't be able to refill my water bottle.
                            Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use it at a race?
                            Sulli42

Is there a secret to sucking water through a plastic tube, while your body is gasping for more oxygen. I can't seem to do it Tight lipped. Do I need to change the type of bite valve I'm using, or something?

Needs more cowbell!

Dustin, I used a Camelbak for about a year, but that tube was always sort of tough for me to use. And the bladder kind of a PITA to clean. So this Spring I bought an Amphipod Full-Tilt belt and really like that much better. I'm mildly asthmatic, so I also had a tough time getting enough fluid in. The Full-Tilt belt works really well, since I can squeeze fluids into my mouth. I also have 2 smaller 10.5oz bottles that I can attach to the sides, which is perfect during hot weather runs. I would put Gatorade in the 20oz bottle along my back and plain water in the smaller bottles. So much easier to fill them when I do find a source of water mid-run, too. The Camelback was just not practical for being able to add more fluids to. k Edited because I misspelled Amphipod on the first try.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals: