Do you wash your shoes? (Read 1126 times)

Okay I know its silly but after paying for a good pair of running shoes I ran in the sprinklers on a clay track for 4 miles and needless to say they do not look the same. So my dilema, let them look nasty weathered and stop being so vain or wash them and get a little shine back? What do you do? Does washing them break down the integrity at all? Thanks for your time you have wasted on this question and I value your response. Derrick
    If the road less traveled was easy, would it be...?
      Derrick, Screw vanity. Just knock off any big chunks and lace 'em back up. Accept the weathered look as a badge of honor. Big grin Off topic - saw your profile; retired squid here. What did you do in the Navy? Jeff

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

I'll wash them if they smell bad, but not for aesthetics.

-------------------------------------
        5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
        10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
        1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
        Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

C-R

Dirt on running shoes is expected. If there caked, hose 'em off and let 'em dry in the sun to use tomorrow. There is no school like old school. My trail running buds gave me no end of crap the first time I showed with my road shoes. They were road worn but looked sparkling compared to theirs. I've never forgotten that one so I make sure to run through some puddles and grass even on my road shoes to give them that broken in look. I might consider washing if the smell is bad enough for my wife to say something, but most likely I would spray some febreeze on 'em and call it a day.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I'll hose my shoes off after a run, but I never wash them. If they stink, I leave them in the basement (where they normally go anyway) but I have no sense of smell so I don't usually know when they stink. I recommend against leaving your shoes in the sun or putting them near heat. I just put them on a wire shoe rack and let them dry off normally, and if they are really wet I might put a fan in front of them or stuff them with newspaper. I wouldn't put them in a washing machine. If you do want to wash them, then grab a sponge and a hose and let them air dry. This is a good time to get a second pair of shoes that you can rotate between while the original pair dries.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

mikeymike

I put my shoes in the sun all the time. Dries them out and kills the stink. If they're really muddy, I'll hose them down, but I've never bothered to wash a pair of running shoes--they'll just get all messed up again anyway. There's a lot of conventional wisdom out there about the best way to care for running shoes. In my experience, none of it makes much difference. Pretty much no matter what I do--whether or not I rotate my shoes, or wash them, or leave them in the sun, or expose them to direct heat, run in them when they're wet--nothing affects how long my running shoes last except one thing; running in them. It turns out running in your running shoes is abut the worst thing you can do to them if you want them to last a long time. No matter how well or how badly I care for them, I pretty much get the same number of miles out of a pair of shoes (500-600 depending on model) and when they're shot, they're shot.

Runners run

I put my shoes in the sun all the time. Dries them out and kills the stink. If they're really muddy, I'll hose them down, but I've never bothered to wash a pair of running shoes--they'll just get all messed up again anyway. There's a lot of conventional wisdom out there about the best way to care for running shoes. In my experience, none of it makes much difference. Pretty much no matter what I do--whether or not I rotate my shoes, or wash them, or leave them in the sun, or expose them to direct heat, run in them when they're wet--nothing affects how long my running shoes last except one thing; running in them. It turns out running in your running shoes is abut the worst thing you can do to them if you want them to last a long time. No matter how well or how badly I care for them, I pretty much get the same number of miles out of a pair of shoes (500-600 depending on model) and when they're shot, they're shot.
                I do the sun thing too! Works great. I've never washed mine, but have hosed them off if they're muddy.

- Anya

Double IPA Please!

Nope..no washing here. I do however wash my regular casual shoes.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

I recently had a pair of shoes (New Balance 767) that I needed to retire. I decided to throw them in the washing machine to see what would happen to them. I was very happy and surprised at the results. The shoes came out looking almost new, except for the lack of tread from using them for too long. I didn't put them in the dryer, I just put some newspaper in them and let them dry out. Afterwards, I took them out for one more run and they held up really well. I decided to try it out with another pair (Asics 2110) that still has a few hundred miles left in them, and they came out fine. Less smelly and looking way better. A friend saw me going out for a run in the washed pair of shoes and commented on me having to break in a new pair. She couldn't believe it when I told her the shoes already had a couple hundred miles on them. I wouldn't put them through the wash too often, but one time didn't seem to do any harm. And they surely smell better.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'll wash them if they smell bad, but not for aesthetics.
                      That about sums it up. I rotate shoes and if one pair gets wet, I'll take the sockliners out and stuff 'em with newspapers to pull the moisture out. This helps de-whiff them a little. But aesthetically, I can't stand the new look of running shoes, so I'm more than happy to have them look dirty. I will hose off extreme mud just so I don't track it everywhere.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I'll wash mine if they get really bad. I just throw them in the front load washing machine and then let them air dry. Seems to work really well.

Non ducor, duco.

The only time mine get washed is during a rain run. If you can't resist washing yours I would recommend staying away from soaps and heat, just rinse them off in cool water and stuff 'em with newspaper to dry. Tom

A Saucy Wench

Wash em? Mine wear out long before I feel the need to wash em. And when they get too dirty they get demoted to "mud shoes" for muddy runs. Those live in a paper bag and become a geological record until another pair is ready for demotion. Fortunately, my feet dont sweat too badly and it all seems to stay in the socks. Mostly.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Awesome,love all you r opinions and have decided as well not too wash. I know it seemed like a petty thing but this solves a discussion I was having with someone. Your comments were great. off topic- Jeff, I was and always will be a Navy Corpsman, Cardiovascular Technologist I have a funny thing to share about last nights run though. I watrying to stay under 130 bpm on mr HRM and for the life of me could not get my heart rate to go over 115-120. It was frustrating so I kept running harder. Well I did my 4 miles in my fastest pace 9:53mm, and did not feel too bad about it either. Well all said and done when I looked closer at my HRM I was only seeing my average Heart rate at the time. No wonder. Hope you all get a laugh out of it like I did. By the way my average ended at 145 bpm. Derrick
                                If the road less traveled was easy, would it be...?