My boss' wife wants to be friends on facebook (Read 364 times)

sugnim

Well, the thread title says it all.  I like to keep my work and personal life separate, but there is an intertwine here.  I play in a brass quintet that my boss' wife also happens to be in.  The quintet meets at my house once a week for rehearsal.  So, I do know my boss' wife in circles separate from work.  Ordinarily, I would accept the friendship offer on facebook, but because she recently married my boss, it makes me a little uncomfortable.  I don't want to ignore the request, or upset her, but I'm not sure I want that window into my personal life available to my boss.  I don't know what to do.  

#artbydmcbride

Keep the stuff you post on facebook something you wouldn't mind your boss (or your Mom) seeing.  

Runners run

L Train

I expected this to be a mab thread.

Keep the stuff you post on facebook something you wouldn't mind your boss (or your Mom) seeing.  

Well this is good advice, possibly amended to avoid doing anything in your life you wouldn't mind your boss or your mom knowing about.

But that aside, I agree it is a good idea to keep work & FB separate. I would err on the conservative side and decline the friend request; tell her exactly why and I would think she'd understand.

Dave

sugnim

Everything I post is pretty G-rated.  Mostly pics of my kid or photos I take while trail running.  It's not that my boss doesn't know I have a kid and love the mountains, it's just the idea that I like to leave him at work when I go home.

HermosaBoy

Do you censor what you say when you are at the Brass quintet because the boss' wife is there?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

joescott

Trust your radar, keep your work and personal life separate.  I would stay a thousand miles away from this entanglement if it were me.  But then, I've become a lot more cynical and suspicious in my late mid life.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kilkee

runktrun

You can add her to a sub-set of friends, like acquaintances, and then set your posts to default to be visible to "friends except acquaintances."

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Joann Y

Ignore.

mikeymike

Keeping work and personal contacts separate is an excellent idea.

That's why it was kind of a bummer last week when either I accidentally pressed a button on the LinkedIn mobile app, or LinkedIn just plain achieved self-awareness and took over, and I sent out LinkedIn requests to pretty much everyone I've ever interacted with, via any channel, like ever.

I only realized it because my phone started blowing up with notifications that such and such person had accepted my invitation to connect. Like 180 times before I figured out how to turn of linkedin notifications.

So that toothpaste is out of the tube and all over the sink.

As for the question at hand ... I'd probably friend her and put her in the box that I have for people I know but don't want seeing my facebook feed, not that I post anything on FB that I'd be uncomfortably seeing on the front page of the New York Times, but still.

Runners run

onemile

Accept the request but put her in a restricted group so she can't see anything you post on your wall. To her it will look like you just don't post.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Most importantly, what's your instrument?

sugnim

Most importantly, what's your instrument?

Horn.  

To keep this running related, our quintet will be playing along the course of the local Run For the Luck of It 7 mile race on St. Patrick's Day Weekend.

DaBurger

You guys are forgetting the most important part, pray that she doesn't find us here.

Know thyself.

Maybe I'm just a crazy bitch, but I tend to just not friend people that I don't want to friend, regardless of virtual hurt feelings.