When life happens... and screws up your training schedule ??? (Read 916 times)

De-slacking in progress

So I'm half way through the C25K schedule. However, "life" happens this week. Couldn't run today, and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are all tyed up this week. I run on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Do I just run on Friday and repeat this weeks schedule over next week?

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's what I would do. Since I started running, I've found that however many days I PLAN to run each week, I usually do that number minus one. That's why I'm trying to do 6 days a week now - I usually get in 5 that way. I've also found that I really do have to plan my life around running, instead of the other way around, or I don't get many miles in. That's the only way I've been able to increase from 9 miles a week to 30. It's so worth it! Good luck!

Another Passion

I'm with Teresa, you really have to make the runs a priority in your day. Also, her weekly number of days goal is a great idea. Good luck.

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

A few days off should do you good. You might even get by skipping this week. If you have to repeat the week just consider it base building Smile
          allout88

Whenever i miss a day of running i feel worthless. So i generally only take a break every 4 weeks or so...or when there is no possible way for me to go running. Usually do not plan a day off. But like you said...sometimes life happens and screws everything up, but some how i screw life back over and work around it...do something like a run at midnight or 4am or some strange time.
            higa

My approach is the opposite to Teresas. I run 4 times a week so i get lots of flexibility in the actual days i run. i'm always swapping them around but i always make sure i fit them in cos i get cabin fever if i don't get my run in. The other thing is i can usually 'fit' a run in at 5am!!! generally life doesn't get in the way at that time! You'd be amazed at how many people are out there too. But we're all different and you need to do what will keep you going. if you don't want to be a slave to a schedule then don't, you'll enjoy it lots more and are more likely to stick with it.
              jeffdonahue

I would relook at your schedule and see if there are thinigs you can rearrange slightly to get a twenty minute run/walk in. Get up earlier Run after the kids are in bed Go out at lunch There are always 20 minutes somewhere - skip your favorite show (or tape it) and run then

Renee the dog

Slaptear, I found a whole lot more time on my schedule by learning to be able to run at night as well as in the early morning. Beginning and end of day works well for the whole showering thing for me. Somehow a mid-day shower after a run just eats into my schedule and puts immense pressure on my day. But a shower at 6:30 a.m. or 11 p.m. just fits fine.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

A Saucy Wench

Your runs are pretty short right now....15-20 minutes. Squeeze them in. If you cant squeeze in the 20, squeeze in the 15. Make them a priority. Get up 15 minutes earlier. Smile

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

You can get up just a little earlier and squeeze your run in. My mentor describes life as "The stuff that gets in the way of running". Like many others said, you have to make running a priority. If you run in your spare time, you'll never get your training in.
                        You're going to have to get acquainted with the HTFU concept. Switch days. Do something, but make it happen. Unless you mean you literally can't run, ala, you will be in jail for 72 hours.
                        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

My mentor describes life as "The stuff that gets in the way of running". Like many others said, you have to make running a priority. If you run in your spare time, you'll never get your training in.
                          Like Mr. Inertia said - make it a priority to get it done. We all have things that HAVE to be done (call them urgencies - work, picking up the kids at school/bus, dr. visits etc.). No way to get around them. But when you say "I don't have time to run" what that really means is "I value spending my time on _________ more than I value spending it on running." You're making the choice to do something else instead of run (be it sleep, bills, watch TV, dinner, etc.) Every day you get a check for 24 hours. How you choose to spend those 24 hours is up to you, and making running a higher priority sometimes means rearranging the lower priorities to fit that. It's only 15-20 minutes - you can find that somewhere in your day, can't you? Plus remember how exercise gives you more energy in the long run, so you'll be able to get that other *stuff* done quicker in the future... Good luck, and stick with it.
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Come join us over in the Couch to 5K support group. It's always nice to have a group of people around you that are doing the same things... Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

The Greatest of All Time

I just sleep less to make time for running. I can get by with 6-6.5 hours training twice a day. But I like at least one 45 minute nap on weekend long run days. I'll get plenty of sleep when I am dead.
                              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                                I've found that if I run in the morning, there is no excuse to not do it. If I run in the evening, it gets easier and easier to make excuses. Running in the morning has made me a more consistent runner. Plus the temps are cooler now that it's warming up down here. If I have to, I'll wake up at 5:30am to be running by 6. It's great because my body is already in motion before my mind figures out what's going on! Big grin
                                Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09