Running with a broken collarbone (Read 221 times)

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/blog/washing-away-vitamin-d/

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/vitamin-d-absorption.html

We get benefit from being in sun no doubt, but I do feel soapy showers play a part in getting maximum production of Vit D.

You feel?  There's a scientific maxim for you.

Both links, neither being really science based presentations, seem to reference the same study that apparently has yet to be repeated that apparently suggests one possibility is that it's washed from our skin with regular bathing.  It hasn't been proven.  As the study in question hasn't been repeated, not that I could find anyway, it's still a theory.

Got anything else?

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

SMART Approach

Nope! I would welcome another study. AND, I use soap all over Smile  But I also take 5000 iu every day in ny Northern climate. My blood levels are optimal. I just recommend everybody get tested!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

npaden

So I need to start running in a speedo, quit using soap when I shower, and buy one of the bone growth stimulators off eBay and I should be good to go!  

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Walk-Jogger

You feel?  There's a scientific maxim for you.

Both links, neither being really science based presentations, seem to reference the same study that apparently has yet to be repeated that apparently suggests one possibility is that it's washed from our skin with regular bathing.  It hasn't been proven.  As the study in question hasn't been repeated, not that I could find anyway, it's still a theory.

Got anything else?

I'm willing to be open-minded about the possibility that there could be something to this idea of vit D being washed off the skin, keeping in mind the fact that it is just a theory that appears to not have yet been properly investigated and studied. I for one have to be careful about taking too many showers, because showering twice a day, as I always do when I workout twice a day, causes me to have very dry skin and if I get the water too hot (which is how I like it) and stay in a bit too long it causes a rash on my chest and back.

Retired &  Loving It

catwhoorg

Labrat

Helmer AC, Jensen CH: Vitamin D precursors removed from the skin by washing. Studies Inst Divi Thomae 1937, 1:207-216.

A single, obscure reference from ~77 years ago.

If there was anything to it, there would have been more work done.

We know that the majority of Vitamin D formulation occurs in the deep layers of the skin, and just minor amounts higher up.

Even allowing for some minor portion to be washed off, the chances are that if you were deficient after a shower, you would be deficient without showering.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

npaden

Thought I would update this post with the latest status.

My last x-ray showed that it was nearly completely healed finally.  3.5 months after I broke it.  I didn't get a picture of the x-ray though.  

Dr. cleared me for pretty much everything except really heavy stuff over my head.  I've gone to a couple PT sessions just to get the best exercises to help me get back to 100% and that was interesting.  The guy was very holistic and focused on full range motion exercises instead of just focusing on the shoulder.  Lunges, planks, etc. all while intentionally putting myself in awkward positions.  The best one I thought was doing lunges in all directions while hoisting a ball about 3/4 full of water over my head, down to the ground, over to the side, etc.  The water in the ball was constantly sloshing around making you have to work to keep it balanced and in control.  Working out at the house I'm going to use old milk jugs with water or laundry detergent bottles with water to try to mimic it to some extent.  Having the handles will make it easier than the ball, but should still work pretty good.

To my surprise my shoulder hasn't been sore at all, actually it has really helped take the last bit of the stiffness out of it.  The shocker was that my abs are really screaming at me and my hamstrings are not sure they are super happy either.  I hadn't really thought about it, but not lifting anything heavy for 3.5 months has weakened my core quite a bit and I'm going to have to work on that probably more than my shoulder even.

One more x-ray planned in a month to make sure it is 100% healed, but pretty much release for full activity now.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Outstanding news!  

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people