Adapting to new Orthotics (Read 1235 times)

Finished!

Alright, I have new very rigid custom orthotics. Took em for a turn on the treadmill yesterday - and well, I'm trying to figure out if my feet just need more time to adapt (this is what I'm leaning towards) or if they were cast wrong. Initial inspection when I picked them up at the pedorthists says they were cast correctly but he didn't have me run around in em or anything while I was there. Stuck em in a new pair of the same model shoe that I usually wear (I think the older ones, at 200 mi may actually have caused my shinsplints as inspection on their soles shows quite a bit of wear). On walking, I can definitely feel the difference with these orthotics vs my current ones as the new ones have no give to them at all, or miniscule, compared to the current pair. On running, it definitely felt strange, and while I didn't feel Pain per se, I definitely felt discomfort. I did an interval run staying at a low heartrate of 5 min jog, 3 min walk, 5 min jog, 3 min walk, 5 min jog, bookeneded on either side with 5 min walking warmup and cooldown. The plan is to stay doing this interval for this week, then perhaps go to an 8min jog 5 min walk 8 min jog routine next week (bordered by 5 min walk on either end of the workout) And progress to a full 20 min jog the following week. Those familiar with C25k will recognize this as the Week 5 progression. So, the question is, is this an acceptable way to try to get my feet adapted? I had these orthotics cast specifically for running, so I'd rather not have to walk in em all the time, tho if that is recommended, I can certainly try that.
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

You should break into the orthotics by increasing your wear time gradually. The rigid ones are different from the soft ones so it's as if you've never had orthotics before. Start with wearing them for a hour, and then gradually increase the time in them until you can wear them full time. I say you probably shouldn't be running in them until your body is used to them first as they do affect your alignment. Where does it feel uncomfortable? When I received my orthotics, they were made a quarter of an inch too long. The result was on the toe off, the ball of my foot is mashed against the orthotic. Since the orthotic does not give, my foot started giving and it started hurting every time on the toe off. You should definitely ease into it and see if the discomfort goes away due to adjustments. If the discomfort persists, then perhaps it's a defect in the orthotic.

Finished!

Ah. Well, sounds like I need to stick em in my dayshoes then (seeing as I am stuck at a desk all the time, It's fair to say that the time on my feet will be gradual (how sad and depressing is that?!) They actually covered this pair with a full length liner, and the discomfort is more in the midfoot region - I think it was more due to the the rigidness of the devices. I'll lay off on the running (it's been months already, so what's another week or so) to try to get this "right" thanks for the advice Smile
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry