Running in the Cold (Read 727 times)

Non ducor, duco.

I am spoiled living in Houston.(at least in the winter) I run many days in the "winter" in just a bra. Im taking a trip to Colorado and was wondering about layering for running in the cold. How many layers? Can I just do running tights or do i need another layer on my legs?
    mikeymike

This is cheezy but it works. Somebody pointed me to this and I tried plugging different numbers and found it very accurately predicted what I normally wear. CLICK. And yeah, I generally go with one layer on my legs (tights or loose tights) down to about 10F, sometimes double layers on the legs if its single digits.

Runners run

I've seen the Runner's World site before and would suggest that the information provided be taken with a grain of salt. If you look closely, it recommends the same clothing at +15 degrees as it does at -30, a case of hypothermia in the making. It also recommends shorts for runs at 20F, a sure path to achilles tendon issues if you make a habit of it. All my winter running is done in layers of long sleeve running shirts and tights with an ordinary cotton jersey on top to break the wind. I start with one layer top and bottom at 40F and have gone with as many as three layers top and bottom at -10F. It's better to under dress than over dress so you should be cold for the first mile or so. A pair of Cool Max briefs is mandatory for us guys on any run under 30F, optional for you gals. A light weight polyester stocking cap and gloves are optional but I generally use them below 20F. Make sure you use wicking socks as well, no cotton next to your skin anywhere because it will get wet and conduct heat away from your body. Tom
        Lisa3.1

I am spoiled living in Houston.(at least in the winter) I run many days in the "winter" in just a bra. Im taking a trip to Colorado and was wondering about layering for running in the cold. How many layers? Can I just do running tights or do i need another layer on my legs?
          Hi Andreia I posted the same question a while ago Go to Running in COLD temperatures

Non ducor, duco.

Hi Andreia I posted the same question a while ago Go to Running in COLD temperatures
            Thanks! I should have done a search. Thank you all for the information!

Think Whirled Peas

This is cheezy but it works. Somebody pointed me to this and I tried plugging different numbers and found it very accurately predicted what I normally wear. CLICK. And yeah, I generally go with one layer on my legs (tights or loose tights) down to about 10F, sometimes double layers on the legs if its single digits.
              It's pretty close for me too. I've been running in 20 F weather w/0-10 mph winds most of the winter and it was spot on for what I normally wear. Long sleeve tech/coat/running pants/hat/gloves. The only add I will make is occasionally include another tee on top of the long sleeve tech.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Renee the dog

I can't stand my bottom cold -- so once it's 25F or lower, I am in a pair of running tights with pants over them. I tend to underdress a bit on the top half, and always have a headband/ hat + gloves. If my hands and my legs are warm, I'm happy. For some reason, my core can stand being a bit cooler... Good luck with figuring out the colder gear!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!