doughnut bacon sandwich (Read 291 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I'm with She Can and KLD...I like both of those things well enough (though they're a rare treat for obvious reasons), but putting them together doesn't sound appetizing.  Interesting that the article claims it's only 340 calories, but the amount of those calories that come from processed sugar and grease must be pretty high.

KLD, I think the "bacon craze" started with Jim Gaffigan.  At least, it seems to me that's about when it started.

MTA: I don't have time to watch that whole clip right now - I hope it's the one I'm thinking of.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Oh roo roooo!

VooDoo Doughnuts in Portland, OR has bacon maple doughnuts. http://voodoodoughnut.com/

I worked in a bakery last summer and we had bacon maple doughnuts as the "doughnut of the month" in June.  Frozen long john doughnuts that were warmed up in the oven and then iced w/cheap-ass fake maple-flavored icing.  Then 1 strip of bacon cut into thirds and laid on the diagonal on top of that.  Boss was convinced this would be great, and we made craploads of these damn things every day.  Every day we marked down the ones from the day before and put them on the day-old cart.  I bought a 3-pack of the day-olds to use as dog treats, since our hounds love sweets.  When I opened the box at home, it smelled like when your neighbor made a trash fire the day before.  Incredibly disgusting.  The dogs didn't care, but we sold very few of them to humans.

Gator eye

The sausages are marinaded in beer?

Drink warm beer instead of coffee

xhristopher

Gonna get this. Can't decide what donut I want it on...

xhristopher

Gonna get this. Can't decide what donut I want it on...

I'm not gonna lie. This was damn good.

Still won't buy the coffee tho...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

...  But to combine "Sweets and meats" for me is a no-no.  2 Great things separate sometimes make something terrible when put together...

Same principle as Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  Sweet + salty = awesome.

xhristopher

This would have been awesome with some peanut butter in there somewhere.

Folks need to eat this before passing further judgement. It's only 360 calories so you can earn it with a 4 mile run. While you are at it run another two miles for a couple beers in the evening. Cheers!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Yeah, but sweet + salty + greasy, I'm not so sure.

I dunno...I thought the idea of syrup-flavored biscuits on that McWhatever-It's-Called sausage breakfast sandwich sounded crazy at first, too, and I like those (another rare treat).

And it did occur to me, these might make good recovery food.  Without having the nutritional info at hand, I would guess it at least comes close to the "magic" 4-to-1 carb/protein ratio.  MTA: Maybe a little unbalanced toward the protein side, if you get it with the egg (if it's a real egg).

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

FSBD

Yeah, but sweet + salty + greasy, I'm not so sure.

I dunno...I thought the idea of syrup-flavored biscuits on that McWhatever-It's-Called sausage breakfast sandwich sounded crazy at first, too, and I like those (another rare treat).

And it did occur to me, these might make good recovery food.  Without having the nutritional info at hand, I would guess it at least comes close to the "magic" 4-to-1 carb/protein ratio.  MTA: Maybe a little unbalanced toward the protein side, if you get it with the egg (if it's a real egg).

32 G OF CARBS

13 G OF PROTEIN

20 G OF FAT

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

A Saucy Wench

Boy, what is this obsession with bacon?  Friggin' bacon everything!  How did Bacon, which is around for so many decades, suddenly become the topic of so many food shows, the sole main ingredient served in every single entree at several restaurants(including desserts), and the food mentioned in 59% of RunningAhead posts related to food?!

I can only say that I like Bacon.  And I like Donuts.  But to combine "Sweets and meats" for me is a no-no.  2 Great things separate sometimes make something terrible when put together.    I mean I love Beignets(French/New Orleans style Do-Nuts)... and I love Brussels Sprouts too.   But I have no plans to try to mix the two...  

Main Point:  Crossing certain foods is like crossing the streams of the plasma rays in Ghostbusters.   Just don't do it....

Big grin

When I was a kid the only way I would eat bacon or sausage was with pancake syrup on it.  Sweet and savory together is my favorite, I am not a big sweets person, but stuff like Orange beef or good Tso's chicken with the spicy and the sweet together.  AMEN.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not so sure. One morning a while back I looked in the fridge and saw a tube of those Pillsbury crescent cinnamon rolls (the ones that come with the Cinnabon icing) and a package of pre-cooked bacon. Inspiration hit. I opened and unrolled the rolls, inserted a strip of bacon, rerolled, and baked them as normal. The result was borderline genius. Crunchy, gooey, salty, sweet, all the breakfast food groups all together.

Now I'm hungry.

Curse you!!!  That sounds freakin' awesome!  If I ever got up the motivation to make cinnamon rolls from scratch I would HAVE to do them that way!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SheCan

Curse you!!!  That sounds freakin' awesome!  If I ever got up the motivation to make cinnamon rolls from scratch I would HAVE to do them that way!

LMAO, curse you all for even talking about such delicious things and getting my mind going there.  I have oatmeal with brown sugar & cinnamon a lot of times for breakfast, and today, the thought that it'd be good with crumbled bacon on top crossed my mind.  Yes, I blame y'all!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

32 G OF CARBS

13 G OF PROTEIN

20 G OF FAT

Yeah, about what I thought, a little heavy on the protein.  Still wouldn't be bad recovery though, even if it's more fat than I like to have at once.

Still won't buy the coffee tho...

The fuck??

Runners run

- That is a good point.  My order was screwed up at McDonalds once and instead of an Egg McMuffin, it was a "McGriddles" in the bag.  I am a flexible person, so when a restaurant messes up my order, I just eat whatever they end up putting in the bag.  Smile  I actually do remember it being surprisingly good!  -- I haven't ordered one since, but still, that little bit of "syrup on the bacon" kind of flavor I do remember as being pretty good actually.

--- Side note:  I ran a 5K this weekend, and finished about 15 minutes ahead of my wife who was running.  I saw an ungodly large stack of Krispy Kreme Donut boxes, so I commenced to having a couple.  I got bored waiting for her, so I snuck a couple more.  Once she finished, I ate one more.  Total donuts eaten:  5.    Question:  Just where is the threshold where you have done more damage than good because of what you ate at the 5K eclipsed the calories expended during running the 5k itself?!  Big grin

Anyone else go to 5K races and finish it out by eating a bunch of crap?  (Or drinking a ton of calories of beer?!)

I'd have eaten the bananas they had, but I absolutely can't stand bananas...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞