NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

jfa

Who's there this year? After 3 lottery losses I'm finally in. 10th marathon in 5 years.

Dropped 7 pounds so far and up to 60 mile weeks.

Training for a 3:53 which would be 6 min marathon PR.

What says youse?  Who's standing on Staten Island on the morning of Nov 4th?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm in.  3:10 is my goal. 

I'm pretty sure Julia is in too.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

Yeah, I'm in.  Which reminds me I need to book my hotel...  I'm training for 3:teens but since it's so hot, I have no idea what my fitness is really like.  I think I'll have to wait 'til September to gauge things.

I'll be there.  My 1st time in the lottery, expecting to do the "3 no's then in" plan, but got in my 1st try.   Just started a new job in January, so running was lost during the moving upheaval.  Getting in was what got me back running.  I won't have a time goal until a little later, but 4ish range. 

Looks like you are doing a program from Nobby et al based on your description of your runs ("out and back, long aerobic, etc").  If so, how is it going?  I just started the program. 

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'll be there.  My 1st time in the lottery, expecting to do the "3 no's then in" plan, but got in my 1st try.

They've discontinued that offering, btw.  But they've grandfathered anyone who got a "no" previous to applying for the 2012 marathon.  So, you indeed did get lucky (as did I).

jfa

Looks like you are doing a program from Nobby et al based on your description of your runs ("out and back, long aerobic, etc").  If so, how is it going?  I just started the program. 

Very well, thanks. If you have been here, you have read Nobby's advice is great stuff. I have tried the cookie cutter plans in the past and made some progress with my marathons ( 4:22 first to 3:59 best) but I was looking for something different.

Next week starts the Hill phase of the plan.

Yikes!

BostonRnr

I will be there. My goal is under 4:00. Can't wait!

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm in.

7th consecutive NYC marathon, and probably last (getting too expensive, time to let others have my slot). 

It will be my 11th marathon this year.  Shooting for sub 3, but really, any "nice day of running" time will also be just fine :-)

If anyone has questions on the course, I can probably answer. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

I'm in.

7th consecutive NYC marathon, and probably last (getting too expensive, time to let others have my slot). 

It will be my 11th marathon this year.  Shooting for sub 3, but really, any "nice day of running" time will also be just fine :-)

If anyone has questions on the course, I can probably answer. 

So, I finally looked at the elevation chart... What do you think is the most challenging part?  I like to model my long runs to the course I'll be running.  It looks mostly flat but maybe it's really rolling mini hills?

Julia1971

Just saw this on my FB feed NYCM No Baggage Policy.  I don't think I like this.

jfa

Yea, this doesn't look good. I guess we can only hope that it's not that cold after the race. Or that fleece lined poncho does the job.Looks like we can no longer check in a gear bag for the finish.

Julia1971

Yea, this doesn't look good. I guess we can only hope that it's not that cold after the race. Or that fleece lined poncho does the job.Looks like we can no longer check in a gear bag for the finish.

I'm wondering how much stuff I'll want to carry on me.  (Sigh).  Luckily, my BFF is coming up to watch me race so hopefully I can bribe her into bringing my stuff to the finish.  Maybe treating her to brunch after will do it.  A fleece lined hoodie sounds pretty sweet.  Okay, I'm feeling better about it.  That was quick.  LOL!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hmm.  Poncho.  I could do poncho.

Well, the kids across the street are convinced that after they "watch [me] win the NYC marathon on TV" that I should run in the next Olympics.  Fortunately, I have 4 years to train . . . and they have 4 years to grow up and realize their hero-worship is completely misplaced.

Best Present Ever

Hmm.  Poncho.  I could do poncho.

Well, the kids across the street are convinced that after they "watch [me] win the NYC marathon on TV" that I should run in the next Olympics.  Fortunately, I have 4 years to train . . . and they have 4 years to grow up and realize their hero-worship is completely misplaced.

OMG you won the NYC marathon!  That's amazing!  You seem so much paler in person than on tv.  Weird.  

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

OMG you won the NYC marathon!  That's amazing!  You seem so much paler in person than on tv.  Weird.  

I do heat acclimation training in a tanning booth a few weeks before the race.