NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was looking forward to this race as a resident who wanted to move on, and also who trained all year for this specific weekend.  

Right.  Your need to "move on" less than a week after a massive natural disaster in your city and not waste your precious training are of much greater importance than making sure your recently homeless neighbors are cared for and sheltered.  Got it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

ultramarathon/triathlete

Right.  Your need to "move on" less than a week after a massive natural disaster in your city and not waste your precious training are of much greater importance than making sure your recently homeless neighbors are cared for and sheltered.  Got it.

Cute how you quote what you want. 

cute. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

Hawt and sexy

Tokyo has put it's hat in the ring to become a WMM. NYC just had a huge fail. The women's title was to be decided on Sunday. So here's a question; Is NYC going to be replaced as a World Majors?

In other news, Wittenburg probably just lost $100k in yearly bonus and the NYRR lost bonus money for hosting a deciding race this time around.

I'm touching your pants.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dave, the gestures you made were kind, but they don't change the fact that hosting a massive marathon requiring enormous resources takes away from people in need of those resources at this time--this is not a typical year and there will be many more NY marathons in the future.  This is one race that is just play for runners, in the grand scheme of things.  You want to race and get on with your life.  Many people are still out of their homes.  Other people are not expected to have power for at least a week (a friend of mine was given 11/11 as the soonest date she can expect power).  They need their basic needs met.  Their needs should trump your wants.

First world problems...jeebuz.

~ Sarah Kay

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

+1.  The whole process is disappointing on so many levels.  Waiting to cancel until everyone in NY who would be p'd off about holding the race are already p'd off, and the runners have scrambled all week trying to change their plans around....and many of them already en route (or there).  

Congratulations, NYRR, I think you just managed to agitate the maximum number of people under any possible scenario.

No kidding!

Can I get a refund for the online tracking fee?  Wink

Liz

pace sera, sera

Hawt and sexy

They just cancelled my sports equivalent of the Super Bowl. WTF?

I'm touching your pants.

Seanv2

Congratulations, NYRR, I think you just managed to agitate the maximum number of people under any possible scenario.

This. Its a disaster for NYRR. My running club is holding an impromptu event at a local bar tonight, I expect a lot of runners are going to be getting very loaded.  I also expect this race to sell out by tomorrow:

http://www.thebrooklynmarathon.com/

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I also expect this race to sell out by tomorrow:

http://www.thebrooklynmarathon.com/

I can't even get the page to load...looks like their servers are already very busy.

~ Sarah Kay

Seanv2

I can't even get the page to load...looks like their servers are already very busy.

Its a very old school race, four loops in Prospect Park.  I think the field is limited to 500.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Hawt and sexy

Its a very old school race, four loops in Prospect Park.  I think the field is limited to 500.

Will there be Popsicle sticks?

I'm touching your pants.

Hawt and sexy

And now I am seeing reports saying that it's not cancelled?

I am going to get a drink. Someone tell me WTF is going on later.

I'm touching your pants.

Prince of Fatness

I am not sure that the magnitude of this disaster was understood until Wednesday, maybe Thursday.

I totally get wanting to try to get this race in as a symbol that "we will get through this".  But it is too soon.

As a life long resident of NJ I have never seen anything like this.  Widespread damage.  Ever.  This is bad.  This is unprecedented here.

I had no power for three days.  Just got it back this morning.  I work for a small business that publishes time sensitive data.  My office still does not have power, and I have been helping to get a backup site operational so we can keep the business going.  My house sustained some minor damage, but nothing that needs to be immediately addressed.  I am one of the lucky ones.

No need to judge.  People need to just chill.

Not at it at all. 

Its canceled..If you were watching Extra or a similar show, they are recorded way early and were reporting that the marathon is on.

I just dont get how anyone thinks its OK to run a marathon, giving out water to the runners and utilizing volunteers to help those runners when there are tons of people that NEED these resources that will be able to help that live right along the race course within view of the runners.

There's a telethon? They pre-empted Revolution!. Bullcrap, it's time to move on people. The whiners win.