NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

Julia1971

Anyone hearing anything about what they will do with those of us that were registered?

Any whispers, rumors, thoughts?

Think we'll be included in next year's race?

Nothing about what they'll do other than what was previously announced - automatic entry for the full or half in 2013.  (See the article Stadjak linked to).  But, I would assume that doesn't mean free entry.

Also, from stalking their FB page, I learned you can contact them at customerservice@nyrr.org and they'll mail you your shirt/medal.  I think they donated the ponchos, though.

jfa

Thanks for the info Julia.

Julia1971

FYI, there was a Wall Street Journal article posted yesterday about the insurance negotiations that touches on why NYRR has been silent re refunds.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I would be over the moon if they allowed 2012 entrants a one-time half-priced entry into 2013.  If the entry were free, I'd be incredibly amazed.  But I'm only counting on saving the "lottery" fee next year.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

I would be over the moon if they allowed 2012 entrants a one-time half-priced entry into 2013.  If the entry were free, I'd be incredibly amazed.  But I'm only counting on saving the "lottery" fee next year.

I don't really care about getting a refund.  I'm only out the registration fee and a processing fee Amtrak charged me to refund my train ticket - my hotel refunded me my room changes even with the late cancellation - so I consider myself lucky.  Some of these international runners...  Man, some of them took a bath.  

I'm not sure what I'll do next year.  I have a half marathon qualifier so I have another way to get in if they renege on the guaranteed entry.  But, my plan was to run NYCM this year, Marine Corps next year, and then retire from marathoning and go back playing field hockey in the fall.  So, this really screwed up my plans.  

ymmv

But, my plan was to run NYCM this year, Marine Corps next year, and then retire from marathoning and go back playing field hockey in the fall.  So, this really screwed up my plans.  

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

From NYCM (excerpt): 

MARATHON RUNNERS

All 2012 Marathoners may choose one of the following three options:

Option #1 - Refund. While NYRR has always had a no-refund policy for the

Marathon, given these extraordinary circumstances, we are offering runners who
                were entered in the 2012 Marathon, and were unable to run due to the
                cancellation¹, the opportunity to obtain a full refund of their 2012 Marathon
                entry fee (excluding the $11 processing fee); OR

Option #2 – Guaranteed entry to the ING New York City Marathon for 2013, 2014,

or 2015. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted
                guaranteed entry to the Marathon for the year they choose. Runners will be
                required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application (in the
                given year), with fees maintained at the same rate as those paid in 2012; OR

Option #3 – Guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon

who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013, to
                be run on March 17, 2013. Runners will be required to pay all processing and
                entry fees at the time of application. Availability will be limited.

¹ Applies to runners entered in the 2012 Marathon who had not cancelled prior to
                October 24, 2012.

So, as I read this Option 1 and 2 can be summed up as:

#1 - get your money back.

#2 - pay double for 2013.

(by double, I mean: you aren't getting your money back for 2012 AND you need to pay 2013 fees)

Huh?

(by double, I mean: you aren't getting your money back for 2012 AND you need to pay 2013 fees)

Huh?

If that's what it means, it would be true-to-form for NYRR.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

So, as I read this Option 1 and 2 can be summed up as:

#1 - get your money back.

#2 - pay double for 2013.

Or another way to put it:

#1 - pay $11 for your 50/50 chance at running in 2013 and paying the $200(?) entrance fee

OR

#2 - pay $200 (the rebate money) for your 100% chance of running in 2013 and paying the $200(?) entrance fee

jfa

That's not at all surprising.

I'm just wondering about next year's marathon and what it will be like if there's 80,000 + runners?!?

Resident Historian

Or another way to put it:

#1 - pay $11 for your 50/50 chance at running in 2013 and paying the $200(?) entrance fee

OR

#2 - pay $200 (the rebate money) for your 100% chance of running in 2013 and paying the $200(?) entrance fee

The guaranteed entry need not be 2013, it can be any year.  But they'll hold 2012 rates.  

You can also leave your $200 in for guaranteed entry into a half marathon - if you pay the entry fee.Roll eyes

Definitely true to form for NYRRC.

Take the money and stay as far away as possible.  

I suspect chances in the lottery may be better for 2013 than in the past

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Julia1971

So, I think this means I can take Option 1 and get my money back and then use my half marathon qualifier to get guaranteed entry for 2013. Free marathon! But per the email, I need to decide my option by January 25th.

In all honesty the bashing of NYRRC in this matter in utter nonesense and uncalled for. Give me a f'in break.

Let's see...

Any other year without a 100-year storm causing $70-$100 billion dollars of damage, 50+ deaths, destroying Staten Island, etc. etc.

You cancel your entry into the NYC Marathon, you get guaranteed entry into next years race, but you still have to pay the fee and you don't get a refund. This is the way it's always been.

Let's see. You deferred Boston 2012 to 2013, you didn't get your entry fee back and you got guaranteed entry into 2013 but still had to pay. How the F is that different.

Let's see. You register for Chicago and can't make the race for any reason. No refunds and you still have to pay to run the next year.

However, NYRR offers to give you a FULL REFUND and you still can run 2013 IF you do it the normal way.,

You're all a bunch of whiny babies. No wonder people think runners are asses and elitist.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

You cancel your entry into the NYC Marathon, you get guaranteed entry into next years race, but you still have to pay the fee and you don't get a refund. This is the way it's always been.

Interesting perspective.  Not knowing the policies I thought they would have instead done the opposite:

1) No refund

2) If you want to run 2013 you do it for free.

Maybe "loss aversion" makes their way less costly for them.