NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

tomatolover

I'm not officially in for 2013, it'll be strike three.  Officially will be in next year, but I have a quick question for those NYC veterans.  When did you book your hotel?  And what is the best location to stay?  I was thinking uptown or Manhattan.  I will be traveling solo, or with my momma.  So please give me some advice?

jojo

I'm in the same boat as you- this would be my year 3 of strikes (assuming my luck runs as a generally does: lousy).  Have you confirmed with NYRR that our grandfathered 3 strikes is still on since the 2012 marathon?  I've emailed them but have heard nothing back and don't feel like wasting another $11 bucks to get denied again with no chance of 2014 auto entry.

jojo61397

They abolished it for persons registering after 2011.  My first strike was 2011, my second strike was 2012, my third strike is 2013.  If I had started registering in 2012, I would not have had the three strikes rule, but I'm grandfathered in.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
      Sub- 1:45 hour half.

jojo61397

The way I figured it, is if they aren't going to allow me to auto-enter in 2014, I will be allowed in in 2015.  I held up my end of the bargain.  I'm hoping they'll hold theirs.  2014-2015 would be "better" for me, because I will probably be living in the DC area at that time (instead of Florida), and it would easier for me to get to NYC in 2015, than it would in 2014.

jojo

I'm in the same boat as you- this would be my year 3 of strikes (assuming my luck runs as a generally does: lousy).  Have you confirmed with NYRR that our grandfathered 3 strikes is still on since the 2012 marathon?  I've emailed them but have heard nothing back and don't feel like wasting another $11 bucks to get denied again with no chance of 2014 auto entry.

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds

tomatolover

again, i'm in the same exact position, though NYRR has not stated that they are honoring their previous commitment to those who applied twice already with this year being the third.   Last year's fiasco trumps any commitment they might have had to us would-be lotto losers.

Julia1971

It's on their website re how to apply via guaranteed entry (http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/how-to-apply.htm):

Applicants who would have qualified for 2013 marathon entry by being denied entry three consecutive times (2010, 2011, and 2012) and who were not accepted via an alternative method such as through an international travel partner, sponsor, or charity.

Edited to add: I think my BFF ran in 2010 and misunderstood the rule, too.  Which means...  I could have taken the refund and tried for time qualifier!  She's in so much trouble.  She owes me $350.

again, i'm in the same exact position, though NYRR has not stated that they are honoring their previous commitment to those who applied twice already with this year being the third.   Last year's fiasco trumps any commitment they might have had to us would-be lotto losers.

Imminent Catastrophe

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but that was never the case. It was: apply three times, then in year four you are guaranteed. So you're in the same boat as me, assuming I don't get selected in this, my third attempt, I should be guaranteed for 2014.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Julia1971

Maybe not.  I can't find it on their website, but I do recall my former BFF saying that she was the last year of guaranteed so I looked around to confirm.  2012 may have been the last year they were doing three strikes according to this article.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but that was never the case. It was: apply three times, then in year four you are guaranteed. So you're in the same boat as me, assuming I don't get selected in this, my third attempt, I should be guaranteed for 2014.

jojo61397

As I recall, 2011, was the last year.  They were not going to include 2011, but some runners protested, and they changed it.

Maybe not.  I can't find it on their website, but I do recall my former BFF saying that she was the last year of guaranteed so I looked around to confirm.  2012 may have been the last year they were doing three strikes according to this article.

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds

Julia1971

Okay... This might be ringing a bell.  Did they announce it after the lottery or something and that's why people complained?

My BFF still owes me $350 dollars, though, right?

As I recall, 2011, was the last year.  They were not going to include 2011, but some runners protested, and they changed it.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

According to the NYRR web site, guaranteed entry includes the following: "Applicants who would have qualified for 2013 marathon entry by being denied entry three consecutive times (2010, 2011, and 2012) and who were not accepted via an alternative method such as through an international travel partner, sponsor, or charity." The web site also states that they will be sending emails to these people by May 24, so maybe you just wait and see if they email you. I got that email in 2011 and that's how I got in. I had actually forgotten how many times I had put my name in the lottery (and was not selected), but they apparently keep track.

Julia1971

I'm in via the 2012 resolution.  I took guaranteed entry for 2013 over a refund in no small part because my BFF thought she was guaranteed for 2013 via three strikes.  But, I see an old email from November 2010 where I'm wishing her good luck and saying I'm going to track online.  Sad  That's not good.  Oh well.  Maybe she'll get in via lottery.  I'm still glad I took guaranteed over the refund.

Edited to add: Lots of commenters on FB are confirming the three times loser will get in for 2014.

According to the NYRR web site, guaranteed entry includes the following: "Applicants who would have qualified for 2013 marathon entry by being denied entry three consecutive times (2010, 2011, and 2012) and who were not accepted via an alternative method such as through an international travel partner, sponsor, or charity." The web site also states that they will be sending emails to these people by May 24, so maybe you just wait and see if they email you. I got that email in 2011 and that's how I got in. I had actually forgotten how many times I had put my name in the lottery (and was not selected), but they apparently keep track.

jojo61397

They announced it before the 2012 lottery, and at first they were saying 2010 was the last year of three strikes.

Okay... This might be ringing a bell.  Did they announce it after the lottery or something and that's why people complained?

My BFF still owes me $350 dollars, though, right?

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds

Julia1971

They sure do change their minds a lot.

They announced it before the 2012 lottery, and at first they were saying 2010 was the last year of three strikes.

ymmv

My applications were rejected in 2012,2011,and 2010.

On 4/23 I got an email from NYRR telling me this:

You've qualified for guaranteed entry to the 2013 ING New York City Marathon. You must register during our application period to claim your guaranteed spot. The application will be open from April 24 to 11:59 p.m. on May 24.

They abolished it for persons registering after 2011.  My first strike was 2011, my second strike was 2012, my third strike is 2013.  If I had started registering in 2012, I would not have had the three strikes rule, but I'm grandfathered in.

I am in this group as well.  Registered 2011, 2012, will again in 2013.  Assuming I do not get in via the lottery in 2013, then from everything I have read, I still have the option to be accepted in 2014 under the 3 strikes rule.

I was worried that the race being canceled by Sandy last year would mess that up, but to my understanding, they will still allow all folks that registered + did not get accepted in 2011, 2012, 2013 a guaranteed spot in 2014.  Also, the post directly above mine indicates as well that the 3 strikes rule was not abolished early because of last years race cancellation.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞