NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

Julia1971

If you have not heard,the globe is warming, no sweats needed.

If New York pulls a Boston, I'm going to take it as a sign that I need to stay home.

In the meanwhile, I'm also thinking maybe I can cut some arm holes in a sleeping bag and wear that around Staten Island.  That would be pretty sweet.

jfa

I was hoping they would look like the Snuggie.

Thousands of cult members descend on Central Park!!   Surprised

I wish Ilene was running it with us. Her humor could keep us warm.

If New York pulls a Boston, I'm going to take it as a sign that I need to stay home.

In the meanwhile, I'm also thinking maybe I can cut some arm holes in a sleeping bag and wear that around Staten Island.  That would be pretty sweet.

And borough-appropriate.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

It will not get anywhere near as hot as Boston. Record high is 78F for 11/4.

2011: 53F/41F

2010: 51F/47F

2009: 52F/41F

2008: 63F/49F

2007: 56F/45F

2006: 47F/35F

2005: 68F/51F

2004: 50F/39F

ultramarathon/triathlete

SN1:  Those are the highs for that day, right, like, later in the afternoon probably?  I've run it each year from '05 or '06 and it's been VERY cold every year in the morning.  

Last year I had sweats on, over 1 under armor long sleeve with 2 tshirts over that, I wore a stocking hat on top of an underarmor wicking hat. I had a pair of sweat pants "knickers" over my regular sweat pants.  I also had a snuggie that I brought intending to leave it behind since it was a gift and those things are so fugly.  I gave that to a friend who was in sweats and was freezing.  

There were a lot of people near me in sleeping bags.  

It's just that it gets really cold on SI in the early morning.  You have to be there super early already, often the sun is not even up or just came up and it's November, which is cold here. 

Also, many people bring some tech clothing with the idea that they'll decide what to keep on for the race before they line up.  I mean, when the weather man say it's going to be XX degrees here they are almost always wrong.  I had a pair of zoot compression knickers and an extra under armor shirt with me last year that I decided to bag before the race started.  I guess I'm supposed to toss those.  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

Yup the high. The last two years have been freezing at the start. Awesome racing weather. Last year was perfect. As this will be my 14th marathon I seem to be running out of throw away clothes. Though in  Boston I didn't have to worry about that.

Maybe NYRR is secretly going to open a Sweats R' Us chain of stores selling barely used sportswear at discount prices.

A lot of folks in these big races pickup throw-away sweat pants or hoodies at Goodwill to wear to the line on race day. Find a few long sleeve shirts in your closet that you never wear or an old busted sweater. A winter hat that's ugly or doesn't fit, some lightweight gardening gloves. Wear all that stuff to the line and pitch it to the curb 10min before race time. I like to cut up a pair of old ski socks to wear on my arms until the 10k mark, then I pitch them too along with the gardening gloves. You can do all of this for under $20 without looking like a homeless person. Double pin a key and some $$ to the inside of your shorts and leave the cellphone at home. Viola, no-stress marathon prep.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Well, lucky for those of us upset about the no bag policy, there is SOME relief:

FREE NYC Marathon Bag Drop!

Marathon Bag

If you're running the marathon in NYC this fall, you need someplace to stash your gear for when the race is over.  Take advantage of JackRabbit'sFREEbag drop service at our upper west side store!

Here's how it works:

1. Register below to reserve your spot.  We have capacity for approximately 1,000 people.
                  2. You can drop your stuff off at our Upper West Side store or our Brooklyn store. 
                  3. You'll put your stuff in the FREE JackRabbit marathon bag pictured, and you can keep the bag after the race.
                  4. On Sunday after the race, come to the Upper West Side store on 72nd St and pick up your gear anytime until 8pm. 

We are trying to accomodate as many people as possible, but we only have limited capacity.

Here's the link:  http://www.formstack.com/forms/jrab-bagwatch

This way you can at least get some things after the race.  Still does not solve the problem of sitting on SI in the freezing morning, but at least one company that caters to runners still cares about runners --or at least sees a clever marketing idea ;-)

I've always liked Jackrabbit, they still have that small town running store feel (though they now have 4 NYC locations).  Plus, once you buy anything in their store, you get 10% off everything in the future (shoes too).  And since they match prices (at least to my memory they do), they're competitive to stop at (no I don't work there, I just shop there).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

jfa

Thanks for that Dave.

How far is that from the finish line?

ultramarathon/triathlete

Short answer:  It's close; a short walk.

Long answer: It depends on where we're exiting Central Park this year --I'm not sure if they've posted that info; the website says to check back about finishing area logistics.  

JackRabbit Sports is at West 72nd Street, between Columbus and Amsterdam.  It's about half a mile from the actual marathon finish line.  Since we'll be walking past the finish line though the park (North, in the direction of Jackrabbit) it may be even closer than half a mile.  Wherever you end up exiting the park, you'll walk west (toward the Hudson) for a block and a half.  You may have to then walk down a couple blocks or up a couple blocks, depending on where we are spit out of the park.  I bet it will not be more than a 5 or 10 minute walk (maybe 10-15 depending on your post marathon stroll pace). 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

Also, on a related note,  and for anyone who regularly runs in Central Park on the other 364 non-NYC marathon days:  Jackrabbit has free baggage storage in their store already.  So, it's used for for running in CP by lots of runners daily.  I say this to emphasize how close it is to the park.   Also, the Running Company (2nd floor in the Columbus Circle shopping mall) also lets runners drop their clothing during normal days to run in CP (no clue about marathon-day drop off though).  They are even closer to the park (2 min walk). --This is not meant for info about the marathon, per say, this is just meant for info about running in CP in general. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

jfa

Thanks again Dave.

I work in Manhattan  (by Bryant Park) about 2 days a week. That could be very useful info for me.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Looks like they've reversed the no baggage policy.  Now there is a no-baggage option.  Muuuuucchhh better.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                            Gatorade Endurance Team

xhristopher

...a no-baggage option.

Call something that has always been there a new option. Now that's innovation!

ultramarathon/triathlete

hahahha that's a very good point! 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team