NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks! This is reassuring. The bigger races I've run (like the Army Ten Miler) have not been conducive to moving up very much so I was concerned... I'm still getting conflicting advice on the hills. I think I'm just going to have to learn the hard way on that issue. But, I'll be okay if I don't hit sub-3:20. This year, I wanted to do some majors to see what they were like. Next year I'm going for PRs (assuming the body holds up).

Just curious what kind of advice you're getting on the hills?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Has the earthquake affected the course at all?

Runners run

Julia1971

Just curious what kind of advice you're getting on the hills?

I hadn't heard anything about the hills until I mentioned I was running it to someone in my running group. He told me I should train for hills. I asked him how bad they were and if he could compare them to other courses or trails so I could get a sense for what I was in for. I think another guy could tell I was freaking out and said I should probably just incorporate hills into whatever I was already doing. So since then, I've been asking anyone who has run it how bad the hills are. My BFF and my co-worker, by contrast, said you notice them but they aren't a big deal and "I don't remember any hills" respectively. I did search the courses here on RA and I think I see what you and running club guy are talking about, though. The GPS file clearly shows rolling; the topo map NYCM provides does not.

#artbydmcbride

The only hills I noticed were the bridges and they were pretty mild.

Runners run

Julia1971

The only hills I noticed were the bridges and they were pretty mild.

Thanks!  I appreciate all the data points.  Any tips on turning a sleeping bag into a fashionable garment?  Smile  Oh, snap!  I need a Bedazzler!

Imminent Catastrophe

The only hill that bothered me was up 5th Avenue, mile 23. Not steep, but a mile long and it's at mile 23.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

+1

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

The only hill that bothered me was up 5th Avenue, mile 23. Not steep, but a mile long and it's at mile 23.

+1

ultramarathon/triathlete

Found this pic in an old blog post of mine from a year ago (I think it originally came from NYRR).  

Looks like it's along 4th Ave in Brooklyn, probably around mile 6 or 7.   Thought you'd all enjoy it.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

jfa

Thanks for that Dave, and all the good info too.

foooster

not the hills but logistics before the race /keep warm

keep the energy levels high the day before

2. 57.53

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Seems every other person I talk to has a different impression of the hills on the course.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xor

That is pretty much how discussions of hills go between runners, except at the extremes.  "How hilly" is subjective and relates to where you train.  I have not run NYCM, so I can't comment directly though.

Julia1971

Yes, thanks for the picture.  I can see the hill/incline and the spacing.  The crowding doesn't look too too bad.  I'm thinking a lot of people will go out too fast anyway, so maybe it won't be so bad.  And maybe I'll even do the unthinkable (for me) and find a runner with a similar goal and run with them (no pace team for 3:20)...  I still haven't reached excited, yet.  Maybe once I'm tapering I'll get there.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm a bit disappointed there aren't faster pace-teams.  I would have figured there would be a 3:00 team, at least.  Maybe the idea is that if you're running that fast you shouldn't need a pace-team.  Or running it without a pace-group is part of the challenge.  I don't know.  Maybe I'll try to find someone running 3:10 in my corral -- though that seems like a dubious idea.

I think I finally figured out the corral number: is it just the thousands number on your bib?  My bib is 6,XXX and I'm in Corral #6. (I was trying to figure out how they counted "green wave 1 corral six" from the picture of the corrals on the website)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do